PDA

View Full Version : Please rec. the best crib mattress!

bee
03-22-2004, 10:32 AM
We are going to purchase the crib mattress soon. Again, there are so many options. We want the best or close to it. I've read a little about the foam v/s coil.
Simmons, Colgate....Which one?!?!?

Please give me your recommendations for the best!

Tampa-Chrissie
03-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Colgate has been making crib mattresses for a very long time and is always reviewed very high.
-Chrissie

HoneymoonBaby
03-22-2004, 12:16 PM
On the other hand, a representative from Colgate posted on this board a few weeks ago (do a search for Colgate), and was really rude and condescending. A lot of people were very put off by the representative's attitude. I don't know if that matters to you, but I thought you should know.

dotgirl
03-22-2004, 02:12 PM
That representative posted again, and although slightly less rude and condescending .. well, not much better.

It's put me off buying or recommending Colgate products to any of my (very numerous) friends who are expecting. Certainly not the response they were going for, but they should have probably considered that before being rude.

amp
03-22-2004, 02:26 PM
I think most people will be able to tell you whether they like their mattress or not, but probably can't tell you what is the best. Most of us only own one or two, so that's all the experience we have. The BB book should tell you what the Fields' recommend. We followed that and bought a middle price range coil mattress from BRU (Sealy Ultra Baby Soft) and are very happy with it.

HallsofVA
03-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Regardless which brand of crib mattress you select, your back will probably appreciate a foam mattress over a coil one. My son's only 2 months old, and I've already had to change the crib sheets several time. We have the Colgate Classica III mattress (a dual-zone foam mattress with a hard side for infants and a softer side for when he's a toddler) and I really appreciate how light the mattress is when I go to change the sheet. I can't imagine trying to lift a heavier coil mattress up and out of the crib on a regular basis. And, because the mattress fits so tightly in the crib (by design for safety reasons), it's almost impossible to change the sheet without removing the mattress from the crib. (I say almost impossible because while I've never been able to do it, someone out there probably has).

Both the Colgate foam mattresses, and the Kolcraft foam mattress have gotten good reviews from those with them, so your choice will probably depend on how much you want to spend, and where you can find a mattress that appeals to you. I'll certainly recommend the Colgate mattress, and mention that the square corners really appealed to me since my crib also has square corners, so there are absolutely no gaps between the mattress and the crib. However, as someone else mentioned, I only have one crib, thus the Colgate is the only mattress I have experience with. We've been happy thus far, though, and my son sleeps well on it, and has since he was a month old.