PDA

View Full Version : Best glider that look more like regular chair?

McQ
03-22-2004, 10:42 AM
I can not stand the way the Dutailier (and those type of) gliders look so I'm searching for an upholstered glider that looks like a regular chair. One I can leave in the bedroom long after it's a nursery.

So what's the most comfy, regular looking, glider chair that's out there? Thanks!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

papal
03-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Allison, HoneymoonBaby had a great idea about making a chair you like into a glider. Does not seem that complicated, you could even hire a handy-man for an hour to do it for you.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=7492&mesg_id=7492&page=

Tampa-Chrissie
03-22-2004, 12:06 PM
You may want to check out the post above, "Where can I buy a glider."
-Chrissie

McQ
03-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Thanks Rashmi. I don't think I'm that bold though LOL. That thread did mention gliders from poshtots which look to be the Little Castle ones I'd seen online. But I was hoping to find another brand to compare them against.

Allison
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

amyliv
03-22-2004, 06:30 PM
yes, do a search here, put in "upolstered Rocker" or "upolstered chair" I was given alot of ideas about 6 weeks ago.

robmab719
03-22-2004, 08:08 PM
I have this one and I love it!

http://www1.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=327&CatID=8138&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=STY&ItemID=08bf5a2&ProdSeq=7&OffSet=7&ProdCount=9&Cat=rocker-ottoman&Dep=children%27s&PCat=furniture&PCatID=4242&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&NumMatches=9&RecPtr=&SearchIn=0&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&PersistenceID=&RecordID=&SearchString=

It's a Dutailier, but looks much more modern than the spindly wood things that are out there.

charleyc
03-22-2004, 11:47 PM
Allison-
I ordered a beautiful chair (glider) from Little Castle Furniture Co. through my baby furniture retailer. It was a little more expensive than I normally would have spent, but I figured I will use it for years to come in another nursery or in another room in the house. I love it!

Here's the link:
www.littlecastleinc.com

You can find retailers in your area at the website.

melissaboca
03-22-2004, 11:54 PM
I just got my glider from Little Castle too and love it! It really is a beautiful piece of furniture. I ordered it through PoshTots but sent in my own fabric.

neosr
03-23-2004, 12:32 AM
I don't know where you live but you can get Little Castle gliders here in So Cal for reasonable prices. Their full MSRP is pretty steep! They're made here in Ventura, CA so with the lower shipping costs, some local retailers offer pretty good deals. We got ours on sale for $420 with shipping and tax. I've seen a couple retailers here selling the Royal line with the more moderate fabrics for $400.

Another similar upholstered glider manufacturer is Best Chair. In fact, they were more highly recommended by a local retailer we trust who only carries Dutalier...something about Little Castle moving up to adult chairs from kids' chairs whereas Best Chair always having made adult chairs. It's hard for me to tell the difference between the two in quality and my wife preferred the Little Castle fabrics anyways.

I think there's a person on eBay based in the midwest who always seems to offer brand new Best Chair gliders in a limited choice of fabrics for around $400 so you might want to check that out.

ivparker
03-23-2004, 12:37 AM
I have the Best glider. I really like it. It is very nice and looks good, too. Our furniture is more of a modern style so we liked the Best Chair because it fit in with our style. We bought ours at USA Baby.
Ivanna

lampes
03-23-2004, 12:50 AM
I purchased a BEST glider and ottoman at a local retailer for $600 (both). It is fully upholstered and has a rounded back. There were a lot of fabrics to chose from as well.

http://www.sungheedesigns.com/Images/glider.jpg

neosr
03-23-2004, 12:53 AM
OK, so I looked back through my e-mails (because I e-mailed them asking who the manuf was) and the eBay seller is baby-n-kidstuff. But it doesn't look like they have any right now.

In any case, when it comes to gliders like anything else, it pays to shop around. If you must have a certain fabric, you'll probably end up having to pay full retail for your custom choice. But if you like a particular floor model (like we did), you could end up saving hundreds.

McQ
03-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Glad to hear Little Castle got some good reviews and will also look into Best Chairs. We're in Virginia so getting a deal in California isn't going to be an option. We've got some time but have read that the wait on Little Castle can be 3 months. Would love to find a floor model steal.

Allison
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

firstbaby
03-23-2004, 10:35 AM
We live in VA as well and I got our Best Chair from Baby-2-Teen furniture in Manassas. The chair was $400 and looks very similar to the Little Castle but it has a little more padding (I felt) on the backrest and has cute button tufting on the backrest as well. They had tons of fabrics to choose from - we picked a brushed red cotton. Let me know if you want me to email you a picture.

Good luck!

Jennymarie
03-23-2004, 10:36 AM
I also didn't want a regular glider. That said, the upholstered rockers really didn't rock long enough for me (I'm 5'7"). I found the Best Chairs glider to be a perfect solution for me. Its larger than most gliders for comfort, and when you rock in it you can really get a good long glide instead of the short little rocks you would get in an upholstered rocker like those sold at PBK.

I bought mine, WITHOUT the ottoman, for $440 plus tax. But afterward, I found this ebay dealer who will order one for you WITH the ottoman for $399 plus shipping. That's a really amazing deal, and I am totally kicking myself for not finding it sooner :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2389693192&category=20426

charleyc
03-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Allison-
I suppose the wait could be 3 months but we ordered ours the first week of December and it was here in mid-January. The furniture store warned us of the potential wait, but we didn't have a problem.

Good luck!

stacyleigh
03-24-2004, 12:39 AM
I also have a Little Castle and LOVE it. We did luck out and purchase a floor model at about $150 off. (slight tear in fabric but not in a noticable location). We have the Magestic and it is beautiful and roomy enough that the chair will still be useful when baby is a toddler. Well worth the extra money!! :)

stacy
SAHM to
Olivia 6/23/95
Lucy 11/08/03

Second time parents
03-24-2004, 10:54 AM
We purchased a Dutailier fully upholstered glider, recliner and it also has a lock which keeps the seat from moving. Here is a pic of it and it can come in a lot of different fabrics too. We purchased it at www.rockingchairstore.com .

cc517
04-14-2004, 10:59 AM
question about this chair...i've read that reclining is a must have feature on a glider/ottoman...that its VERY useful...this chair doesnt recline...how do you like yours and do you miss the recline? i wonder how similar this chair is to the PBK one?

hellosmiletoday
04-18-2004, 01:24 AM
Does anyone know of a place in S. Florida that carries them so I can try them out?

McQ
04-19-2004, 09:58 AM
You can call them at 888.543.7242 and they will tell you what stores carry them buy you.

Allison
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

EllaLovesEbay
09-08-2004, 10:39 PM
I got my Best Chair Storybook at Baby Village in South Tampa. It was a floor model so really cheap, $360 for both chair and ottoman. I had also seen them at USA baby. I'm very happy with it and plan to recover it for the living room when it is done in the nursery.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/12648.jpg

hellosmiletoday
09-09-2004, 12:56 AM
Beautiful room...did you paint that mural...do you have a close up!

Mommy to baby girl 5.8.04

punk mama
09-09-2004, 03:16 AM
I too love the look of Best Chairs gliders and I came reeeeally close to purchasing one at a Labor Day weekend sale but I backed out cuz it didn't provide head/neck support. Have any of you experienced problems with that? Is it the kind of chair you could fall asleep in and not wake up with a kink in your neck?

Little Castle gliders are the only other ones that really appeal to me but, in my experience on the showroom floors, the lower end models were a little too stiff for comfort. And I just can't justify shelling out more money for a chair than I did for my couch!

jenniferl
09-13-2004, 12:33 PM
I was in the same boat- can't stand the look of the "baby" gliders.
We shopped at a regular furniture store called "Norwalk" and found a great chair that is a glider/rocker, it swivels 360 degrees and it reclines. It has button tufts on the back. We had our pick of any fabric in the store but we chose a cream chenille. My tailbone was hurting really bad that day so it was a good day to go chair shopping. We're going to move the chair into the master bedroom when we are done with it in the nursery.

VAmomof2
09-15-2004, 11:46 AM
We also live in Virginia. We were very unimpressed with Baby 2 Teen. We found the sales staff unhelpful, hard to find, and apathetic. A friend told us about Great Beginnings in Maryland. We made the trek and were happy we did. They had about 50 gliders on display and their prices seemed very competitive even with internet companies. We also found the staff very knowledgeable and the showroom beautiful and very large.
We were initially interested in the Little Castle chairs, but DH is tall and found these chairs lacking head support. We ended up buying a Dutailier glider which we were told was exclusive to Great Beginnings. I believe the model was 9759.
Best of luck in your glider hunt.

Second time parents
09-18-2004, 11:10 PM
That's great, but it is available at other places becasue our friend purchased the same chair and it is very comfortable and at a great price. I think that she only paid $475 delivered right to her door. You'll love it.

Mommaof2
09-26-2004, 12:31 PM
I paid $$ for a real chair that glides. It looks *perfect* in my nursery, matches the dust ruffle. Offers NO head support. I wish I could have napped in it but I couldn't.