PDA

View Full Version : glider - does it need to recline?

lerlerler
04-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Hubby and I are STUCK.

At one point, I mentioned to him that if the baby is fussy one of us may end up napping with the baby in the glider, now he is convinced that we need one that reclines....

but the "recline" feature generally adds a few hundred dollars to the price!

if you have it: do you use it?
if you don't: do you miss it?

Momof3Labs
04-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Our glider does not recline. I wish that it did - maybe we'd actually use the glider once in a while! As it is, we rarely use the glider and could have easily lived without it.

goosey77
04-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Ours locks into positions, which is definitely a plus, but I do wish it reclined. I chose looks over function - the chair I thought looked best didn't recline. If the chair you like has that option, I would say go for it if you can swing the $$.

Are you looking at Dutaliers? If so, if you havent already done so, check out babycatalog.com. I found their prices to be the best, especially with the baby club discount.

gisele
04-07-2004, 05:45 PM
I have to say, the recline feature is incredibly important to us. When DS is fussy, sick, we both have spent time at night sleeping in the glider with the baby. My husband has spent a lot of time in that chair with the recline and DS finally able to sleep on his lap. When DS had a bad cold, this was the only way he could sleep (on my husband's lap facing out, reclining on my husband) because he was too stuffed up to lay in his crib (even with the mattress propped up) and too miserable to not be held. I have found it invaluable.

Even when DS fell asleep nursing, I would recline it and let him snooze on me while I watch TV.

lrucci
04-07-2004, 10:28 PM
This was a feature that I just had to have on our glider. I use it a lot and I know I would have missed it had I not gotten it. It has been very helpful in getting DD to sleep. If she falls asleep after nursing, somtimes I'll recline the glider and take a little nap with her.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh Elizabeth 7/19/03

Oregonmother
04-07-2004, 10:46 PM
I debated about this too, and ended up not getting the recline. I really regret it now. We still us our Dutalier a lot but there were, and are times I would have loved to have had this feature. If I could do it again I would definitely pay the extra for the recline.

lerlerler
04-07-2004, 10:59 PM
thanks... I think I'll spring for the extra cash!

HallsofVA
04-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Good choice. Our glider reclines, and my husband and I both take advantage of that feature. I like it because it allows me to use gravity more to hold him on my chest, rather than arm strength alone. Early on there were times when we did end up sleeping in the glider (whether accidently or on purpose), while rocking him to sleep, and the recline was a blessing.

I was originally looking at the Dutailer that had both recline and locking, but instead opted for the reclining Dutailer at BRU and TRU that has recline but not the lock. It was a bit cheaper at those stores, but the models and fabrics are limited (unless you special order one).

tippy
04-12-2004, 02:37 AM
Hi,

I price shopped my Dutailier to death!!! I found the lowest price at a Canadian company, Rocking Chair Store. I purchased the multi position chair that swivels, reclines, glides and locks. It was 444.00 US. I also purchased the matching gliding ottoman for 136.00 US. The whole order only ended up costing us 580.00 (I know this may seem like a lot for a rocker but it was much less than anywhere else I looked). This price included the cushions and there was no tax or shipping charges. The customer service was excellent and they were a pleasure to deal with. I am still a nursing mom to my 15 month old son and I use my glider every day. I too used the recline and locking mechanism countless times. The chair is so comfortable that there were many nights I fell asleep with AJ in my arms in the reclined position. I also couldn't live without the swivel function on my chair. I never have to struggle with pushing my ottoman out of the way (this was especially helpfull when the baby fell asleep in my arms and I just had to swivel the chair sideways,stand up and head straight for the crib). The web address is www.rockingchairstore.com

Happy Shopping and good luck.

Teva

C99
04-12-2004, 09:34 PM
I have a stuffed rocking chair that does not recline. Don't miss it. And I've fallen asleep plenty of times in the chair with the baby in my arms!

kaitlinsmommy
04-13-2004, 06:54 PM
I ALWAYS use the recline. I don't use the glider that often, but would probably never use it if it didn't recline.

jp96
04-15-2004, 10:26 AM
This seems to add about $100 on. I'm looking at the very basic dutailier that only glides at Target. Does anyone have this chair and would they recommend it?

Thanks

cimberdog
04-15-2004, 04:30 PM
We got our glider at Good Night Bens (Internet store). We got the Dutalier, with rock, recline and swivel, plus the ottoman with the nursing insert. The price was VERY reasonable!!! However, I see they are no longer in business due to crackdowns by Dutalier to reduce 'net discounts. So, expect to pay more I guess if you are getting a Dutalier.

I LOVE the recline and use it all the time. The nursing insert in the ottoman was a waste of money though.

tippy
04-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Hi,

Im curious if the glider you got is the same as mine. It is called the multiposition glider and it glides, rocks, reclines and locks in a straight up position and various recline positions. The ottoman also glides. What is the nursing insert??? That wasn't available when I purchased mine. If it is the same rocker I purchased it from a Canadian Company (see previous post) and paid 444.00 US for the rocker and 136.00 US for the ottoman with no shipping or tax. Do you remember what you paid for yours? Wondering if I got as good of a deal as I think I did. (I researched this thing TO DEATH!!!). Thanks.

Oregonmother
04-15-2004, 11:27 PM
I have the Dutalier that locks but does not recline. I really haven't used the lock all that much and would have rather had the recline option. I found that if the baby fell asleep in your arms it was kinda hard to lock the glider in position because the locking arm was on the right hand side and if the baby was asleep in you right arm it was impossible without moving the baby to the other arm and risking waking him up. It would be really nice if Dutalier came up with a way to lock it in place with your foot.

s7714
04-16-2004, 03:45 PM
We went with a Dutailer that locks, but does not recline. I have slept many a night in my chair without it--I just lock the chair in it's most tilted back position and snooze away. ;)

Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03

spunkybaby
04-17-2004, 07:23 PM
>This seems to add about $100 on. I'm looking at the very
>basic dutailier that only glides at Target. Does anyone have
>this chair and would they recommend it?
>
>Thanks

We have the basic Dutalier glider from Target and have been
very happy with it. It's comfortable, and DH had no problems
putting it together. I do not miss the recline (so far), and we
use it quite often when feeding the baby or when pumping.

New mom to spunky baby
March 2004

luvtoshop
04-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Hello--I was just thinking the other day that our Glider has been one of the best purchases we made. I was fortunate to get a great deal from Good Night Ben in Canada. I got the plushy material in cute sage green swirls, recline, lock, & ottoman. I can't imagine what life would have been like without this glider. We still use it many times a day. The reclining feature has been a necessity for napping/sleeping when sick and just relaxing. My husband probably locked it more than I ever did. I probably could have done without the ottoman since I used a nursing stool for a long time and now that I'm not nursing, I think a cute tuffet would have been cute in the nursery. I still use the ottoman, but if you're wanting to work within a budget, I'd go with the glider that is very comfortable and has the reclining feature and skip the ottoman. Especially if you're going to nurse. The nursing stool is very inexpensive and gets a lot of use. You can find cute nursing stools at specialty baby stores. I wasn't a fan of the Medela stools.

Good luck!

murpheyblue
04-19-2004, 01:38 PM
DH and I debated the recline as well. He wanted it and I thought we didn't need it. In the end, we got the recline and I'm glad as we have used it often. One thing to consider is the size of the room you will put the glider in. DD's room is fairly small and the glider takes up a lot of space. If you want to use a recline feature, you have to set the chair a little further away from the wall to have room for the recline and the glide. If the room was really small, the recline feature may not be worth giving up the extra space.

Ali
Mom to Megan 9-28-03

lerlerler
04-19-2004, 08:19 PM
thanks so much....
recline it is!

jp96
04-20-2004, 08:44 AM
Has anyone purchased a Shermag? Do you find it to be on the small side? I found this one at Sears that seems to be a good deal.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=BABY&pid=04934904000

cimberdog
04-22-2004, 05:48 PM
Ours is very similar to this one, although I think our model is 9489 - it has rock, recline, swivel and lock. I don't think we've ever used the lock. I would say you got a great price on yours!

http://shop.nurturecenter.com/duswgl94.html

The nursing insert is a slide out 'ramp' that is inserted into the ottoman. Here's what it looks like:

http://shop.nurturecenter.com/dunuot454.html

It may work well for others, but I preferred having my feet on the ottoman when I nursed.

>Hi,
>
>Im curious if the glider you got is the same as mine. It is
>called the multiposition glider and it glides, rocks, reclines
>and locks in a straight up position and various recline
>positions. The ottoman also glides. What is the nursing
>insert??? That wasn't available when I purchased mine. If it
>is the same rocker I purchased it from a Canadian Company (see
>previous post) and paid 444.00 US for the rocker and 136.00 US
>for the ottoman with no shipping or tax. Do you remember what
>you paid for yours? Wondering if I got as good of a deal as I
>think I did. (I researched this thing TO DEATH!!!).
>Thanks.

tippy
04-22-2004, 09:44 PM
Thanks so much for the reply. I wouldn't have ordered the nursing ottoman anyway. After spending that much on a rocker I would've wanted one that matched the chair. Especially since I plan on ordering new cushions for this chair when I'm done using it in the nursery and moving it into our living room! I also liked having my feet up when nursing.

Teva

jcmspg
04-23-2004, 06:12 PM
>Thanks so much for the reply. I wouldn't have ordered the
>nursing ottoman anyway. After spending that much on a rocker
>I would've wanted one that matched the chair. Especially
>since I plan on ordering new cushions for this chair when I'm
>done using it in the nursery and moving it into our living
>room! I also liked having my feet up when nursing.
>
>Teva

FYI...Dutailier nursing ottomans do match the gliders; the nursing stool pulls out from underneath the "regular" ottoman.

jcmspg
04-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Dutailier no longer allows vendors to sell across national borders, meaning a Canadian store cannot ship to a US customer and vice versa. I think this is a relatively new policy. The Rockingchair Store's site says they have a location in Michigan, but all other references are Canadian so I can't tell what their status is for shipping.

lerlerler
04-23-2004, 06:20 PM
wow.. that's about half the price of the comparable dutailier..

I may have to go to BRU and sit in one! and then buy it at sears

THANKS

tippy
04-23-2004, 11:02 PM
My glider has a round base and so does the matching ottoman. I'm pretty sure the nursing ottoman isn't available in my model rocker with the round base.

tippy
04-23-2004, 11:04 PM
BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only reason I got such a great deal was that the exchange rate was so good.

jp96
04-27-2004, 12:15 PM
I bought a reclining and locking Dutailier over the weekend at Burlington Coat Factory's Baby Depot. I paid $399 for the glider and $149 for the ottoman. Of course we had to drive to two different stores to find the glider and ottoman in stock, but I think this was a pretty good deal. It is the natural wood and a really pretty light yellow/creamy colored fabric with stitched bees embroidered on the material in the same color thread.

I love it!

Second time parents
04-27-2004, 07:09 PM
recliners are the best and I think that the added cost was only about $80 where we got ours. this was at www.rockingchairstore.com . check them out and they can tell you for sure. good luck.