PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly worried that our mattress isn't firm enough...

Judegirl
04-10-2004, 04:31 AM
Maybe this is normal right about now...but the mattress I was happy with when I bought now seems too cushy, and I'm a little scared about it.

It's a Sealy Ortho-Rest; after much consideration, we decided to go with something less expensive than the Classica. Is there a test for this? How do I know what's too soft to be safe? It's certainly not as firm as a board...is that bad? It held up under me at the store, but does that mean anything?

Are these just last-minute jitters, or should I be concerned??

Thanks in advance!
Jude

amp
04-10-2004, 06:55 PM
We have a coil mattress that doesnt' sound like it's as firm as the Colgate that I've read about. It is firm enough for DS. You don't want it to be squishy like a pillow, but as long as it's not so soft that the baby's head can get buried in a "dent", it should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

tippy
04-12-2004, 02:11 AM
Hi Jude,

Here is a linke tho the US Consumer Safety Commission. I guess the key here is that the crib meets current safety standards. I'm not sure but I think any crib that does, ususally had a label indicating so. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml99/99091.html I wouldn't be too stressed about it. Soft bedding is probably more of a hazard than any mattress you purchase now a days. I also remember that the baby bargain book had some good detailed info on the difference between coil and foam mattresses and some safety info.

HTH

Teva