PDA

View Full Version : confused about "stuff" inside crib

babywhite
04-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Hi! I am a little confused about what you need inside the crib besides the crib sheet.

Please explain the following items.

Do you use all, some, or just one?

mattress pad (quilted, waterproof)
waterproof crib liner
ultimate crib sheet

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :)

R.W.

amp
04-10-2004, 06:53 PM
This will vary from person to person, but here's what we use. We put a quilted waterproof mattress pad over the mattress and then the fitted crib sheet over that. You don't need this, but we thought it seemed a bit more comfy, without being unsafe. And, it helped to soak up stuff if needed, so that when we changed the sheet after spit up or diaper leaks, we didn't really have to clean off the mattress (which is waterproof also). We also used sheet savers on top of the sheets (either under DS's head or rear) to protect the sheet from spit up and leaks. This way, we only had to change or remove the sheet saver, not the whole sheet in the middle of the night. Never used an Ultimate Crib Sheet and never missed it.

goosey77
04-11-2004, 12:39 AM
We just use the mattress, which is foam with plastic covering, and sheets. No protectors or anything. I was using lap pads where his head s for a little while, but now that he is more mobile (he is 4.5 months), he's all over the crib. It was hit or miss on whether or not a spit up or leak would be shielded. The lap pads were basically the same concept as the sheet savers - I preferred not having to tie the sides down.

I don't have anything under the mattress b/c it's just more work. The plastic mattress covering easily wipes down (although honestly I don't even need to wipe it down very often).

I thought about getting an Ultimate Crib Sheet, but wwhen it gets messed up, it still has to be changed, same as a sheet. With a foam mattress, it's not that big of a deal to change the sheets - I just lift the mattress out of the crib and pop on a new sheet. Plus, I don't like the idea of covering up my nice sheets! However, I don't use a bumper. It might be more of a pain to take the mattress out with a bumper on - in which case I could see the benefits.

tippy
04-12-2004, 01:33 AM
Hi,

I started out using a waterproof pad under the sheet but ended up removing it. It made fitting the sheet on the mattress almost imposible and since the mattress was already waterproof I felt I didn't really need it. I used the sheet savers too but that didn't last too long since he was mobile by 4 months and I kept him in a bassinette until he was ~ 3 months. I had a bumper on his crib and it definitely was a pain in the you know what to untie the bumper,(not to mention his mobile and fisher price music box every time I had to change the sheet. I started using the ultimate crib sheet when he was about 5 months old. It is a little pricey and if you aren't using a bumper it may not be worth the money. It snaps on the crib and covers the entire mattress unlike the sheet saver which only covers a small portion. I stopped using it recently after AJ who is 15 months old figured out how to unsnap the straps so he could teeth on them. One Step Ahead sells something similar but it zips on and off. http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?itemID=65755&itemType=PRODUCT&sASearch=YES
HTH

C99
04-12-2004, 09:35 PM
I use a lightly padded mattress pad (not waterproof) and a crib sheet in Nate's crib. I haven't found a need for the waterproof liner and I absolutely hated the ultimate crib sheet!

tippy
04-13-2004, 02:27 AM
Hi,

Just curious why you hated the Ultimate Crib Sheet. I used it for some time with AJ and it was a life saver the few times he got sick or soaked through a diaper. Wondering what your experience was.

Teva

C99
04-13-2004, 11:15 AM
I just don't think it feels very nice and it didn't attach very well to the crib. I couldn't (and still can't) understand why they're so expensive or why everyone raves so much over them.

kaitlinsmommy
04-13-2004, 06:52 PM
We just use a waterproof mattress pad & crib sheet. I remember agonizing over all the choices when I was pregnant, but this has worked fine for us. When dd was younger & there were some blowouts & spitting up, I used a Carter's bassinet size pad underneath where she slept.

tippy
04-14-2004, 02:34 AM
Thanks for replying. I agree with you that they are a little pricey. I didn't have a problem with it attaching to the crib until very recently when AJ figured out how to unsnap the snaps :-(
Just goes to show you that what is one persons poison is sometimes someone else's pleasure.