PDA

View Full Version : Best monitor?? What do you have and like? would you get it again

fauve01
04-30-2004, 06:53 PM
or would you get something else? One or two receivers? What else do I need to know about them? I currently don't have a monitor cause our house is tiny, but we're moving, so we're getting one!

TIA!!

Anne

Kieransmom
04-30-2004, 09:43 PM
We received 2 monitors for my shower over a year ago. We tested both when my son was born and returned them because the sound quality was terrible. After trying 4 monitors we ended up getting the Sony monitor. We love it. In fact, I have recommended it to everyone and they feel the same way. You can hear everything.

When I go to my friend's houses who have other monitors and I hear how muffled everything is, I'm glad we got the Sony. My husband told me something that made sense to me. Sony is an electronics company...it's their business. A lot of the other monitors are made by toy companies. It's one of the more expensive monitors but it's worth it.
Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

DeeEast
04-30-2004, 10:22 PM
We have a Sony audio monitor and love it and we have a video monitor and love it more. Actually we use both but having that video monitor in a two story house has been wonderful. I don't know how we could do without it now. I couldn't love it and recommend one more.

kaitlinsmommy
05-01-2004, 01:28 AM
We have the FP 900 mgh vibrating monitor & have never had any problems with it. I don't have anything to compare it to but this one has worked well from the beginning in two different apartments.

kseltmann
05-01-2004, 09:26 AM
We have the Sony babycall and it is fantastic. I would highly recommend it. We both work at home and have 2 wireless computer networks and 3 wireless telephone systems, all of which could interfere with monitors. Not with the babycall.
We also have a Safety First Video monitor that we use a lot more than we thought we would. We leave it in DH's office (across from our room) and at night, if we hear something on the monitor, we get up an look at her on the monitor before we risk waking her up by opening her door and sneaking in. That, I must admit, gets static when we use the microwave.
The babycall rechargable batteries are what make it the best.
Good luck!

fauve01
05-02-2004, 12:00 AM
nt

Nora
05-02-2004, 04:10 PM
We have the Sony Liv and love it! You can hear her breathing!!

kozachka
05-03-2004, 03:54 AM
I love my Philips Ultra-Compact Baby monitor (SBC SC765). It's the only truly portable monitor out there. Parent's unit is the size of a small cell phone/large pager. It's wireless, charges on the base and is only activated when your baby produces some sort of sound. So you can sleep soundly and not be disturbed by all the static. Works perfectly in our house despite the fact that we have a phone on the same 900 MHz. It has two channels to choose from and two AC adaptors. Love the cute yellow colour and rounded shape/design.

It retails for $49.99 plus tax but I got mine for about $32-$33 including S&H from eBay refurbished. Highly recommend it to all my friends. Worth the extra $$.

Philips has new models now with intercom function and temperature indicator if you are interested.

Kozachka

smiliedds
05-04-2004, 12:29 AM
(I had posted this in another forum already.) In case you are interested and have access, 'XS Cargo' in Canada has the Philips Ultra-Compact Baby monitor fo only $24.99CAD + tax.

amp
05-04-2004, 10:55 AM
We have the same monitor as Kim (FP 900 mgh vibrating) and we like it just fine. It only has one receiver. The only problem we every had with it was that the rechargeable battery died completely on it. My DH was going to rig up another similar phone type battery to it, but when he went into the battery store (a store that specializes in batteries), they found the correct size phone battery and attached the wires and resealed it in the shrinkwrap to secure it. Voila - New, working rechargeable monitor battery! We like it and would probably buy it again.

proggoddess
05-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Also have the Fisher Price 900 MHz vibrating monitor with rechargeable battery. Works great, and no interference with any neighbors' phones or anything. (Perhaps no cordless phones in the area?) It is so sensitive, I can hear the birds outside tweeting over the monitor!

temt1219
05-06-2004, 09:44 PM
We got a FP Sounds-n-lights and returned it, it was fuzzy and popped. Replaced it with the Sony Babycall which we LOVE. It's clear as a bell and doesn't interfere with anything and the base has a rechargeable battery which is great!

kroppink
05-06-2004, 10:03 PM
What about the fact that the Sony only has one receiver? There aren't any Sonys that come with 2, are there?

fauve01
05-09-2004, 02:06 AM
like brand and price? i'd like to look into that as well as the regular/audio kind! THANKS!!

Anne

matthewsmom
05-09-2004, 09:18 PM
We had originally received the Graco Family Listen & Talk monitor that had 2 receivers from my baby shower (I didn't registered for it). It was awful. We would hear constant static or else our neighbors phone conversations. Sometimes I would just shut it down and open our bedroom door to hear our DD incase he woke up. Also, the batteries were not rechargeable and also the walkie talkie sucked. When we did use it we couldn't understand each other. It also broke after a few months and during that time I heard static constantly. So we ended up buying another monitor. We bought the Philips monitor. It is so awesome. I never realized how much of a difference it makes. I mean, I don't hear anything unless my DD is making sounds. Plus it has an indicator that shows the temperature of DD's room. I love it because now I don't worry about whether or not he is too cold or too hot. He's a very light sleeper so if I went into his room and felt his hands, he would actually wake up. The fact that it only comes with one receiver hasn't made a difference. I don't miss the other monitor at all. I just let it sit in our bedroom during the night and let it recharge and then during the daytime I just take it with me. I don't know how I ever lived without this monitor!

Carolyn

Mom to Matthew 7/19/03

JenaW
05-10-2004, 11:38 AM
We have the Safety First video monitor and I LOVE IT!!! It was the absolute best shower gift we received, and I would have bought it myself if we didn't get it. It is so great to be able to see Carter when he is asleep and not have to go into his room and wake him. It does get staticy with the microwave, and we also just bought a new 2.4gHz (something like that) cordless phone, that causes some interference when it rings....but it is still worth it.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Cautiously pregnant with #2 ~ EDD 10.13.04

Jennamax
05-11-2004, 09:06 PM
We have the Fisher Price Lights and Sounds monitor. It works great for us - very easy to hear even the little sounds, and barely any interference.

I have noticed, though, that if I have the receiver on and not the base, I pick up the neighbors kids.