PDA

View Full Version : Need help ASAP! Would you buy a glider sight unseen?

McQ
05-07-2004, 06:10 PM
I've fallen in love with the look and write-up of Little Castle Palace glider. But there's no place around me that has this model on the floor for me to test out. Would you buy a glider sight unseen??? The logical me says no way. But I haven't found (by looks) any others that I like and this one "looks" sooooo comfy but what if it isn't? I got an awesome quote from a local store plus I have a 20% off coupon that expires this weekend. So I need to make up my mind ASAP if I want to take advantage of this deal.

I know some of you have Little Castles and love them but does anyone out there have this particular glider? Thoughts? Am I crazy?!

Here's the link to the glider (but I'd get it for lots less and I am a sucker for a bargain)
http://www.jackandjillfurniture.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=lc-palgld&Category_Code=UPADULT

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

houseof3boys
05-07-2004, 06:29 PM
I would totally buy a glider sight unseen for a great price. It is really pretty Allison and I hope someone has it and loves it so they can put your mind at ease! :)

Momof3Labs
05-07-2004, 09:03 PM
No way. It's only a bargain if you like using it, and I find that most chairs are not nearly as comfortable as they look!

sarahfran
05-07-2004, 09:50 PM
Speaking as a woman who owns two gliders w/ottomans because she ended up hating using the first one, I wouldn't buy without trying. ITA with Lori--you gotta love sitting in it or you'll be unhappy and think "darn, why did I do that" every time you look at it. That said, if you're not planning to use for nursing, the exact "fit" of the chair might not be as important.

Sorry... I know that's not what you wanted to hear! Let us know what you decide!

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

:) Motherhood is such a joy! :)

neosr
05-08-2004, 01:48 AM
I generally agree with what Lori (momof3labs) had to say, but I think it's a different situation when you're considering an upholstered glider. Although it's immediate purpose would most likely be to aid in nursing and to relax with the baby, how long would that last?

Unlike regular (wooden) gliders that would appear out-of-place outside of a nursery, an upholstered glider like the Little Castle could serve many more useful years since it looks like a regular chair. And especially if you like the appearance, then you'll be much more inclined to let it function as a piece of furniture for as long as you desire even if you don't find it all that comfortable for nursing. Basically, I just think you get your money's worth when you purchase such a glider considering how much longer you're likely to keep it around.

But then again, I'm biased because we have a Little Castle glider ourselves (it's the Royal and not the Palace glider). Although it doesn't quite glide like a Dutalier, it's suitable for us. But most importantly, it's beautiful and we love it.

If you can get it at a price that seems like a good deal to you, then definitely go for it!

jkabopenguins
05-08-2004, 08:30 AM
Hi There!

I wanted to tell you that I had my heart set on the Pottery Barn Kids butter yellow upholstered rocker. I had only seen it in the catalouge and was convinced that's what I wanted. Well, sure enough, DH and I drove and hour to a Pottery Barn Kids and when I sat in it, I didn't like it. I was so disappointed, but glad at the same time that I had checked it out. So, we went to LAZBoy and I sat in some and chose one there. I had to special order it because I wanted it in a yellow microfiber material. I also had it converted to a glider. It reclines and swivels. It arrived last week and I absolutely love it. So, trying it out is really important. Probably not the advice you wanted, but I just wanted to let you know. Good luck!!
--Jen :)

Play Pen
05-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Just a freindly thought from someone who sells lots of gliders, always sit in the chair. Everyone sits differently. If you are not comfortable you will not use the chair and now you have thrown your money away no matter how much you saved or how good it looks. Happy shopping.

McQ
05-09-2004, 02:34 PM
After an exhausted glider search this weekend and realizing that every chair is different, I just couldn't bring myself to order the Palace Little Castle. So I ended up with one from Best Chairs that I found at Buy Buy Baby today. And man, was it comfy :) Thanks for the thoughts.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

TonFirst
05-16-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm glad to know that you have a Little Castle glider and that you like it - I'm completely smitten with the style. I know that the Dutalier gliders are supposed to be the best, but dang, they're ugly. I simply cannot see using it anywhere else in my house after my children are too old to be rocked.

On the other hand, I'm willing to compromise a little bit of glider-ease for the look of the Little Castle, since it actually looks like an upholstered piece of furniture and doesn't scream "Nursery!"

I'm going to be in Northern VA later on this summer and I plan on trying the Little Castle glider out at the Posh Tots store.