PDA

View Full Version : Dutailier Glider

dianab72
05-13-2004, 11:59 AM
I'm thinking of buying a Dutailier model 9769 rocker. I have not been able to find one like this to sit in but I chose it because it look bigger (for taller peaple). I hate to buy it without sitting in it but really want one. Is Dutailier generally all comfortable? I have to have the recline feature though all other features don't matter.

sbjf
05-13-2004, 11:17 PM
i have 9759, same frame as 9769 but different cushion, see link...
http://www.rocking-chairs.com/9759.htm

and we love it. dh is 6'3 and i'm 5'7 and we need a nice tall back, wide seat frame and this is IT. We tried SEVERAL in the store in person and kept coming back to this one.

I think you'll be really happy with it!

ETA: in my opinion, the answer to your question is no, not all dutailiers are comfortable. some seem to be made too small for tall people, some cushions are not as comfy, etc. i will vouch that this is one of their very best though, like i said, we sat in a lot of them.

ETA: Here's ours...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6011.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6012.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6013.jpg

bambipetals
05-14-2004, 08:19 AM
I have the 9759 as well. I'm only 5'4" but my husband is taller and I wanted to get something that would fit him comfortably. Not only does it fit great for him but also my MIL, who is quite large and wide.

I tried all the gliders they had at Great Beginnings over and over again at 3 separate visits...and like the other poster...I always came back to this model for being the most comfortable. I'm also in agreement when she said that not all models feel the same. Hard to explain but some felt a bit stiff or just did not seem that it would comfortable for my body more than 30 minutes (but that's just my body...it could feel different to you). I should add though the very nice salesrep did mention to me that the model I chose was one of their most popular due to size and comfort.

Based on our experience, I recommend this one!

I hope this helps some. Best of luck!

Stephanie
EDD 6/2/04

cabgirl
05-14-2004, 01:57 PM
While the Dutalier Glider is (supposed to be) comfortable, I am horrified by their customer service. We ordered our glider in JANUARY and, because they are made in Canada and we wanted to have them do it in our own fabric (which we were encouraged to do, by the way), we still don;t have the glider. They have promised at least 3 different times 3 different dates when we would have the glider. This last time, they just said it won't be here until the end of May. I am due May 31st! Frankly, at this point, I have no confidence that we will have this glider before the baby goes to kindergarten!
Dutalier sucks.

bambipetals
05-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Oh yes. She brought up a very good point. If you know you are going to special order...do it well in advance. I just happened to come across someone else posting about the long wait time when I was thinking about a glider. So I ordered mine back during the first week of January. I did not get it until around the end of March. For me it was okay, since the baby is not due until early June. So, it was about a 2 1/2 month wait. But the store that I purchased from had told me 3 months, so I knew what to expect.

Also, my cushion, like many of their cushions, had the flame retardant material on it. Some people are not bothered by it but I was. So, I let it air out. I think it took about 2 weeks for the smell to leave enough so that I could stand it. So that is something else you may want to consider if you are getting close to your due date.

Stephanie

jraohc
05-17-2004, 10:13 AM
We bought a Dutailier, but only after sitting in A LOT of different gliders. I don't remember what model number we bought and neither my dh nor I are particularly large, but we are both happy with the one we got. In the end we were trying to decide between one that reclined and one that didn't. We opted for the non-reclining one because it was more comfortable and the reclining one just didn't feel quite as well-made. I don't know if that's just because it took the abuse of sitting on a store-room floor or if they are more likely to have problems because they have more moving parts. After having sat in some many different chairs, while I think we probably would have been satisfied with many of them, we really fell in love with the one we actually bought - so I don't think they're all the same.

Second time parents
05-21-2004, 07:03 PM
After finding one that we liked, we purchased ours from www.rockingchairstore.com . They had over fifty fabrics to choose from and their service was great. Good luck!

leelee71
06-02-2004, 10:38 PM
I went on an EXHAUSTIVE search for Dutailiers and while it's an excellent manufacturer i would definitely be the Goldilocks and try out each and every one. Not all Dutailiers are the same......whether they be in general features (basic gliding, locking, multi-position, reclining, swivel), to over all stylling and even the type of cushion used.........My search went to online stores, national chains and 2 local stores.........and in the end I thought that if your going to spend money, spend it for the long haul and have it RECLINE and choose fabrics in neutral color!!! We were torn between the reclining Dutailier at BabiesRUs (exclusive design only to BRU) or the Dutailier top of the line (more expensive) that reclined and swiveled, since DH liked that feature. So i started doing a search......I found the swivel model at a local store and they had rediculous prices.....their prices depending on which "grade" of cloth you used. If you look and turn the swatch over it will say "AB", "CD", or "EX"........ONLINE i found an AWESOME company, with MUCH BETTER prices called THE NUTURE Center....(www.nuturecenter.com ) and they are based out of San Francisco.....Mary is the owner and she personally assisted me with picking out some fabrics and she shipped samples out to me free of charge, plus they dont charge xtra for the different grade of fabrics.......WOW.......ok so now i know where to pick the swivel up IF i want it.......so i go back and forth with the one from BRU and i decided that the more expensive one with the swivel just wasnt as comfortable.......Its cushions felt like lawn chair cushions.......just some 5-6" upholtered padding.....and come to think of it EVERYTIME i sat in that one at BRU i was ready to fall asleep!!! I am 5'6" and DH is 6'2" and their is enuf room for our butts...........lol.....WHEW....My advice......if your going to spend a nice chunk of money.......don't buy something sight unseen.........even if you hear that it's great.

sherryh
06-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi. Just correcting the link above - the name of the company is The Nurture Center, and their website is http://www.nurturecenter.com.

You can order many of the Dutailier Gliders right on their online store at http://shop.nurturecenter.com.

SherryH