PDA

View Full Version : Pack N Play as temporary crib

jacksmomtobe
05-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Hello,

I posted this question during the thread of another topic so I apologize for being repetitive I was just hoping to get some more feedback & had an additional question.

We are currently condo dwellers and have been going through a long saga (7mo+) trying to buy this particular house. It looks like we will be closing Aug 1. We live in a decent size condo but have way too much stuff already. We would prefer to have the crib delivered & set up at the new house (it won't be in until July). I know the PNP has a 15lb weight limit on the bassinet so I'm wondering if anyone has experience using the playard as a sleep area. Jack will be just over 4 mo so I'm guessing based on friends baby's he might be close to the 15lb mark around then. I would appreciate any feedback. I'm hoping this is a feasible option but do not want to put Jack's safety at risk.

Second question...I feel like the mattress cover bunches up a bit where the bends are to fold it. This worries me for when ds gets more mobile. Is there a better way to secure it? I could not find anything in the manual. Or is there some type of product that anyone would recommend to make it tighter?

Thanks!!!
Kim
mom to Jack born 3/26

ps excuse the typing..I'm doing it one handed as ds wants to be held

amp
05-14-2004, 03:19 PM
We have slept DS in the playyard portion as well as the bassinet. We did not follow the weight limit and DS napped in the bassinet until around 5-6 mths of age (and he was a big baby, so probably more like 18 lbs at that time). I don't recommend you not follow the guidelines, but we felt pretty safe doing this for a few extra lbs. When we travel now, DS sleeps with the mattress in the bottom position and it works very well for us. We never had trouble with the mattress cover bunching up or causing a problem.

Do a search on PNP as crib and see what comes up. There have been threads on this before.

babyeric
05-14-2004, 09:09 PM
We bought an additional mattress by colgate at buy buy Baby. It's the same size as the PNP but it's 2 inches thick so it's much firmer. I feel better with my son sleeping on that rather than the thin pad that comes with the PNP. It just can't be folded up with the pad inside!

kaitlinsmommy
05-15-2004, 12:19 AM
I think it's totally fine for Jack to sleep in the PNP. DD slept in the PNP bassinet until 4 months. She still hadn't reached the weight limit but could roll over by then.

She's been a co-sleeper since so we haven't had many occasions to use the PNP as a sleep area but have done it for naps when we travel and she is fine and I feel it's perfectly safe.

I don't know what sheets you are using. We used the Graco ones (I know everyone thinks they're not soft enough but I think they're fine) and never had a bunching problem. Once the sheet was on, I would lift up each side and push the remaining fabric underneath.

Good luck!