PDA

View Full Version : Stinky Diaper Dekor

olim
05-27-2004, 12:24 AM
We use the Diaper Dekor, which I thought was suppose to be so stinky free. But it isn't. X( Am I doing something wrong? I clean it every time it is emptied with bleach, water and dish detergent and spray Lysol in it. Would the Diaper Champ been a better choice? I am sick of DD's room being smelly. Any suggestions are appreciated.

kaitlinsmommy
05-27-2004, 12:29 AM
I doubt the Champ would be much better. We have the Diaper Champ & while it worked great until solids, I thought it smelled after that. It certainly helps if you only open it outside but that is kind of a hassle. We take dd's dirty diapers outside to the trash every day. Good luck!

westchicagomom
05-27-2004, 02:16 AM
We have the Dekor and have never cleaned it (ours really doesn't get dirty on the inside).

Unless it is full and one or more of the barriers aren't closed you really can't smell it (and both DH and I have very sensitive noses). Also when you open it to put diapers in, it obviously smells. Maybe that smell is just lingering in the room????

DH empties it about every 2 to 3 days. If you are letting it go longer, maybe you could try emptying every day or two???

Sorry I really don't have any other suggestions. I don't really think they make the perfect diaper pail. I know a lot of people just put diapers in the regular trash and take it out every day.

Good Luck!

BethinMass
05-27-2004, 08:23 AM
I haven't noticed a problem with the diaper dekor. However once a child starts solids, no matter the pail, there will be some odor if you dont change it every few days. I've yet to find a diaper pail that was completly odor free :)

Jennymarie
05-31-2004, 08:31 PM
Friends have advised me to dump the solid contents of the diaper in the toilet if there's one nearby. I think this makes a lot of sense, so if you have a toilet convenient to the nursery, I would see if this helps.

writeleigh
06-06-2004, 11:36 AM
I think any diaper pial, just by virtue of what they do, eventually has some smell. I have a dekor and the smell is cut way back because I wash the inside every few weeks and change the bag more often.

StaceyKim
06-06-2004, 06:05 PM
I have mine cleaned every week and emptied frequently. Also with Poopie diapers I sometimes put them in a sassy bag and then throw it in the Dekor to keep it from smelling over time. The solid poops I put in the toilet!
HTH

gabriellamp
08-05-2004, 06:52 PM
I found the same problem with our Diaper Dekor, especially when our little guy started eating solids. I've found that putting the diapers with solid waste in a plastic bag (a grocery or produce bag) and then into the Dekor really cuts the smell, and then we don't have to empty it every day.

Not so environmentally friendly, but it seems to work.

HallsofVA
08-05-2004, 10:17 PM
I don't know if it makes any difference, but we have the Diaper Dekor plus, and haven't had any problems with it smelling. We started solids about 6 weeks ago, and though his poops are much smellier now, we haven't noticed any increase in odor (course, we haven't hit meats yet). As a previous poster mentioned, we've never cleaned ours, other than a quick wipe of the top with a wipe if it got dirty while we were putting the diaper in. I wonder if the cleaning may have loosened the seals?

I must admit that we tend to overfill it between changes (to the point where you're having to shove each diaper in, and the sides of the container start to bulge at the seams), but we haven't had any stink problems.

We've used a Diaper Genie outside to store dog poop for years, and it's never contained odors as well as the Dekor has.