PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Genie - getting smell out

vikivoly
06-01-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I'm too lazy to do a search. :) How do you get the smell out of the plastic? It's starting to smell even without any dirty diapers. DH thinks a good scrubbing will work, but I don't think it will. Any good ideas or do we need to bite the bullet and buy a new one?

sarsah
06-02-2004, 07:00 PM
I have two Genies which I got when DS#1 was born four years ago and I've tried and tried and tried and nothing works to get the smell out. Fortunately, when they are closed up they don't smell, so I don't worry too much about it.

I think the new "toddler" refills were supposed to help with the problem, but by the time they came out, my Genies were already stinky, so I just saved my money and kept using the regular (now called 'infant') refills which are cheaper.

Sarah......mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)

writeleigh
06-06-2004, 11:30 AM
I do periodically scrub the inside of our Diaper Dekor and it cuts down lot on the smell. HTH.

lindauer72101
06-08-2004, 10:54 AM
You might try putting something like baking soda or Borax in the bottom of the genie. I have heard that Borax will help absorb odors. It works with my trash can at home.

Angela

RSF
06-09-2004, 01:15 PM
I've had this discussion with many family members and friends, and we have concluded that there is no way to avoid diaper pail odor with any plastic diaper pail. I have been using a product called Caldrea Sweet Pea which seems to be the best solution, in addition to a good weekly cleaning with dish soap and water, and airing out the pail outdoors for a few hours. The product is a little pricey, but well worth it. www.caldrea.com

I wouldn't use this product, or any cleaning product other than soap and water, in the baby's nursery until he/she is beyond the risk of SIDS.

HTH

RsF

workaholic
06-10-2004, 11:09 PM
I occasionally take my diaper pail outside in the sun and spray it with a bleach/water mixture. I worked at a daycare in high school and college and we cleaned everything with bleach/water. I have alot of luck with this.
Also, there is a product on the market that is a mesh bag filled with lava rock. The lava rock absorbs smells. It can be renewed using lemon juice and sunshine. I purchased these bags a few years ago from brookstone www.brookestone.com. If you have any in your local mail, you may ask the manager if they still carry them. Sometimes they keep stuff in the back.

I don't think there is a pail that keeps smells out. I'd pay good money for one that did. I also like to use garbage bags that have an oder defense. That helps too and when you replace them it makes the room smell good.

Good Luck,
Aimee Larsen
Momma to Cooper
Co-Owner of Ella-Bags.com