PDA

View Full Version : $88 glider/ottoman from Walmart?

becky7700
06-03-2004, 01:50 PM
I would love to buy a Dutalier, but it's a bit out of the budget right now. I saw this glider/ottoman combo from Walmart for $88 - it matches the rest of the baby's furniture perfectly. Anyways, has anyone ever tried this glider? Is it way too cheap in quality? It looks like the manufacturer is "Dorel", which I haven't heard of, but I am sure it's some generic cheapo brand. Should I wait until I can afford a really nice glider? (btw, I am due in about 3 1/2 weeks)

Thanks so much!

Becky

KBecks
06-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Did you sit on the Walmart glider/ottoman? I'm curious about it too.... but it was on a high display and I didn't get to give it a test rock.

If it is comfortable, go for it! But you should try it out and be happy with it before committing.

Let us know what you decide!
KBecks

becky7700
06-03-2004, 08:42 PM
The same thing happened to me! They wouldn't let me climb up and give it a try :( Maybe someone will have some insight for us.

kijip
06-03-2004, 09:04 PM
Dorel=Cosco

I have an inexpensive glider and it is fine. Be prepared for the cushions to flatten and the gliding mechanism to be uneven after a while but overall, for $88, it will do its job if you really want a glider.

sunriseiz
06-03-2004, 09:43 PM
I got this one just before dd was born. It's really ok. The only thing is that the chair cushion a little thin, so I added an extra cushion...no big deal. I didn't try any of the others, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. For the money, I think this one is just fine!

Sunny
Mom to Ellie 10/28/03

leelee71
06-04-2004, 01:42 AM
hello!!! Hey $88 is STILL .....$88.......and if you're going to spend it, make it worth your while and WORTH the xtra space you will use up in your home.......Your $88 can go towards something that won't fall apart in a year or so........so my suggestion would be to save up just a bit more for the cheapest Dutailer or even a used, but not TOO used, one. Even if a Dutailier is not within your budget, maybe go for a Shermag.......I used to work in retail and i think something is fishy about a store who won't let you sit in a chair they are selling OR have a product up so high that it seems you are inconveniencing them (when you finally do find someone to help you!!) when you ask them to let you try it out..........Usually, but not always, you get what you pay for.........but sales on Dutailers are out there you just have to do a bit more research.........GOod LUCK!!!....

shindagrl
06-05-2004, 05:43 PM
We found a used Lazyboy rocker/recliner for $50, and it's been one of my favorite baby purchases so far. It's not much bigger than the glider you're talking about, and is far more comfortable and will hold up a lot longer. Remember, a chair doesn't necessarily have to *glide*, but it does need to rock and be comfortable for you and baby.

JMHO.

jodi b
06-09-2004, 05:52 PM
My mom bought an inexpensive glider and ottoman from Walmart about a year and a half ago. She was pleased with it at first, but the glider soon started squeaking loudly. My dad has tried several different lubricants in the area where the squeak seems to come from, but they can't stop the squeak. I wouldn't recommend the glider.

JenaW
06-10-2004, 06:00 PM
I have the white with denim cushio glider/ottoman combo from walmart (is this the one you are talking about??)...it was around $88 I think. I LOVE it personally. We can not afford a Dutalier either. My son is 13 months, and we have had the chair for about 16. I use it at least twice a day to nurse still, if not more, and definitely more in the beginning. I have had absolutely NO problems with it. The padding is still comfortable, and it even has arm padding, which many others I have seen don't. Now with number two due, I have thought about recovering the padding...not becuase it needs MORE, but because I want something a bit more girly. The cushions come off very easily to recover and add more padding if you wanted. I agree that you usually get what you pay for, but there was no way in heck I could pay $300 PLUS for a more reputable brand. As much as I use this chair, it was DEFINITELY money well spent!

jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Cautiously pregnant with #2 ~ EDD 10.13.04

vaherbmom
06-13-2004, 02:56 PM
One good thing about Walmart is that you can take stuff back--even if it's been used awhile.

Your mom should try to return the glider. I have often returned things to WAlmart and they asked no questions. Even if it's been awhile, she can try telling them it's broken and it should have lasted longer.

I spend so much at Walmart every year that I have no qualms about returning things.