PDA

View Full Version : Crib with no drop sides?

JenDavid99
06-07-2004, 12:09 AM
I love the sturdiness of a crib with no drop sides -- a stationary crib, I guess. Does anyone here have any experience with this type of crib? I know we'll have to try it out in the store because DH and I are not very tall (about 5'5") and I'm concerned that if the mattress is in the lowest position it will be a real stretch to get the baby up and out of there (strain on the back?). This is our first little one and we hope to have a really sturdy crib that we can either use again with a second baby or maybe we could get a convertible one so the little guy can have a big boy's bed in the future. Any info on this type of crib is so much appreciated.... TIA --

JenDavid99
edd #1, 09/30/04

kaitlinsmommy
06-07-2004, 01:03 AM
I don't have experience with this. Just wanted to say ours has a drop side and we never used it. I'm a bit taller (5'8") and I've heard other moms here say they used theirs all the time but I only put dd in her crib when she was already sleeping and I think raising the rail would have waked her.

FYI - our Simmons crib was very sturdy, though & I'll definitely be using it with future kids.

JenDavid99
06-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the quick reply -- also just received a reply to this question on another board and someone brought up an interesting point. How hard is it to change the sheets in the middle of the night if neither side drops down? I wonder if this is next to impossible a little later on, when the mattress is dropped down. This never occured to me (oh, I have so much to learn....).

Thx again -

JenDavid99

McQ
06-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Do a search under stationary in this forum and you'll find a bunch of thoughts on this subject. Most of the shorter moms on the board have said a drop-side is a must.

We have a drop-side on Declan's crib and for me (5'2") the drop-side is a must. DH is 5'4" and it's not as much of an issue for him. That said, we bought a stationary crib for number 2 but our plan is to switch it out once Declan is ready for the toddler bed function of it giving the baby the one with the drop-side.

And it's not hard to get the baby out of the crib. They are usually awake with arms out-stretched to you if not standing. It's getting them into the crib when sleeping that's a problem.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

McQ
06-07-2004, 12:23 PM
That would depend on how heavy your mattress is. We have a foam one and it's super light weight. I lift the whole thing right out. Changing sheets is always a pain though but not because of the mattress - it's the bumper that always gets me.

As far as sheets, some really like the ultimate crib sheet but I don't have any first hand experience with that. But it's something else for you to check out :)

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

LBW
06-07-2004, 01:53 PM
I had terrible back problems during my pregnancy that carried over for about 6 months post partum. Also, my son was almost 11 lbs. at birth! Even though I'm 5'9", I HAD to use the drop side on my son's crib!

WooChx
06-07-2004, 02:18 PM
I just purchased a crib with no drops sides. When I went to the store and compaired how far down a crib WITH drops sides went it was almost exactly the same as the crib WITHOUT drop sides. It didn't make much difference since the non-drop side crib was so much lower to the ground.

I would also recommend the foam mattress, since it is a whole lot lighter to pick up.

deenass
06-08-2004, 08:44 PM
I'm 5'2" and we never use the drop side on the crib, it's way too loud and kind of a pain to drop.

Oregonmother
06-08-2004, 10:58 PM
I'm 5'4" and have a babys dream convertible crib (Generation Next) with the fold down hinged side and have no problems with mattress changes or putting my DS in. The crib is very sturdy and the rail is very easy and quiet to close. BB book gave the Baby's Dream cribs a low rating because of the pinch factor of the hinged fold down rail. IMO you would really have to be not paying attention to pinch your childs finger in it. I chose it because of it's sturdiness. convertibility, and I liked the look of it the best.

Alyssa

Kaiden 9/14/03

kaitlinsmommy
06-09-2004, 12:47 AM
It is VERY easy for me to change the crib bedding without dropping the side, even on the lowest setting. In fact, it's easier than putting Kaitlin in.

JenDavid99
06-09-2004, 11:30 AM
I'm the original poster of this question and DH and I went to BRU yesterday to see what's what. I'm still in love with a "static crib" (no drop side) because it just seems so sturdy; I'm happy there are no moving parts. I also lifted a few mattresses from their cribs, both foam and coil mattresses and have decided will definitely try foam, just for sheet-changing ease.

The only thing that still concerns me a little is when the crib is lowered to its lowest level. I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to reach over and lift baby out. Although, some people tell me that by the time we lower the crib the baby will probably be standing, arms up high in the air and reaching him will be quite easy! Just hope he's not too heavy :-) .

Thanks for all of the great input on this.

JD99

icunurse
06-09-2004, 11:54 AM
We've been using a crib by Pali that doesn't have drop sides and love it. I'm 5'5" and when the mattress is at the highest level, I can bend over and kiss my son goodnight. We, too, love our foam mattress (Colgate). As far as changing the sheets.....we tried that for a few weeks and it is awkward (but I think it would be for drop-downs, too). So, we bought the "Ultimate Crib Sheet" at BRU and are very happy with it. It's a soft white cotton with a waterproof backing. It has 8 snaps (3 on each side and 1 on each end) that go around slats in the crib. SO easy for a midnight change! It only lays on top of your regular crib sheet, so, from the outside, your crib still looks cute. Worth every penny.

DeborahM
06-10-2004, 12:20 AM
I'd like to second that last comment -- I'm 5'3" and sometimes had a hard time putting DS in the crib AND keeping him asleep even with drop side cribs. A non-drop crib would've killed me!

If you are seriously considering a crib w/out drop sides, I would strongly recommend asking a salesperson to lower the crib to the bottom, then try to put a baby-like object into the crib.

With a little practice, I was able to raise the crib rail quietly.

Deborah
Mom to Thomas and soon-to-arrive baby girl

stephanieandmike
06-13-2004, 09:30 PM
I have been having the exact same dilema as Jen about the stationary-side cribs. It seems to me that the lower side on the stationary cribs is low enough that it is really only an inch or two higher than the drop-side cribs when the side is lowered on them. When the drop side cribs are raised, they are higher than the lower side of the stationary crib. So I guess I am leaning toward thinking that there won't be much difference between the two as far as how easy it is for me to get down in the crib?

I am considering one by Berg.

KYBelle1102
06-15-2004, 12:29 PM
I'll add my thoughts... We have the BRU Chris Madden collection crib with the fixed sides (it becomes a full size headboard and footboard later) for DS, now 9 months. I can truthlfully say, we've never had to change sheets in the middle of the night. It's a bit of a pain to change them leaning over the rail, but that's mostly because we have the crib up against a corner and the changing table right by the crib so the back corner is tough to get to.

Now that DS can pull himself up, we have to lower the mattress, and I'm really concerned about how I'm going to be able to get him into the crib with the lower mattress level without him waking up. Plus, I'm now 16 weeks pg with #2. As I get bigger, I'm afraid we're going to have issues with the fixed side. I'll probably have to use a step stool to get him in there. (BTW, I'm 5'8" and DH is 6' tall)

HTH,

hovegator
06-18-2004, 12:48 PM
I am due in July and we ordered the stationary crib. i just can't stand the ratting noise the drop side makes when the baby shakes it. And they seemed so much more stable. We are tall (5'9 & 6'3), but my in-laws are short so we got a footstool for them to stand on. We use stools in the Opertaing Room for the short doctors, so i figured it would work here too!

i also got the ultimate crib sheet to make changing easier. I'll let you know in about 6 weeks, what i really think! :)

Fun Fair For Four
08-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Not harder, maybe easier. The cribs without drop sides don't usually have wheels and there's no drawer underneath them because they're lower to the ground, thus being able to easily reach in, bend over and pick or lay down the baby. What you gain is a crib that converts to a full bed with a foot board, you just have to weigh if you want to lose the drawer.

lucyarchie
08-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Does anyone have concens with Baby climbing out easier than with a drop side. We have looked at both options and the drop side does come up on most cribs a little higher. I know the matresses drop as the baby grows but it was still a concern for me. Has anyone had experience with the crib and baby trying to climb out?