PDA

View Full Version : Question about sleep positioners for newborns

lmladuke
06-13-2004, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I was out trying to grab the necessities before my 2nd comes in July and debated on getting a sleep positioner to use in her bassinet/crib. I used one for DS - now 3 years old, but have heard conflicting reports lately on whether they are actually bad for the baby or not.

Can anyone shed some light on whether these are a good thing, or bad thing? Also, is there a better brand out there?

You would think with this being my 2nd I would be a pro at baby stuff - I feel more confused this time :)

Lori

durga8
06-14-2004, 12:16 AM
Lori,

hi, my ds has plagio and had a strong preference to sleeping/looking to the right. i was considering buying a positioner. i was looking at this one- http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=794&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=117&iSubCat=28&iProductID=794.

honestly, can't say how good it is, since i didn't end up buying it. we used rolled up towels, which worked somewhat, but not as effectively. i haven't heard anything negative about postioners.

congrats on the baby! i know what you mean about being confused. it seems like there is so much info/contrary info out there. i was so worried about ds sleeping on his tummy. you are doing great...i would have not even thought of the positioners if not for the plagio.

good luck!

amp
06-14-2004, 11:00 AM
I had heard that they weren't recommended, so we never bought one and never missed it a bit. Glad we didn't get one.

justlearning
06-15-2004, 01:53 AM
A friend loaned us her side positioner, which is similar to one made by Graco. I liked the positioner so much with DS that I bought the Graco one so I can use it for our next baby. I bought the side positioner, which can also be used as a back positioner, from babyage.com. I don't know if they still sell them or not, nor can I comment on the quality of the Graco one.

We were never able to successfully swaddle DS--he was a strong, 11-pounder at birth who refused to stay swaddled. The sleep positioner seemed to help keep him from moving all over the place. We also liked that it kept him on his side (even though some say you shouldn't do this).

Imperia
06-15-2004, 08:37 AM
My peditrician told me not to use them, that were not tested for safety and may actually be dangerous because they can force a child into a position that they cannot get out of even if they need to.

Imperia

lmladuke
06-15-2004, 12:25 PM
That's what I heard too. I think I am going to not buy one and then if for some reason after the baby comes and I feel like I need it, I will go get one.

Lori

helaina
06-15-2004, 01:42 PM
This has been my concern. I recently read a post by a woman who's baby died at 3 months old because she choked on her own vomit. I'm not sure if 3 month olds can turn their heads or roll over yet, but it made me wonder if sleep positioners might make this scenario more likely? I had planned on buying one but now I'm having second thoughts. Then again, if a sleep positioner can keep a baby on his side, wouldn't that help prevent him choking on vomit?

babymama
06-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Hi Lori -
We have a sleep positioner from Especially for Baby (the BRU brand). It has two side wedges and a little head pillow panel that velcro onto a soft fabric swatch. The velcro feature lets you adjust the positioner from a back positioner to a side positioner, and lets you adjust the wedges as your baby grows. We've really liked ours. I especially like the little pillow - I think it's the reason my son didn't get a flat spot on his head. It was $14.99. Good luck picking one out.

Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

MomtoRowan
07-09-2004, 02:44 PM
I think I have this same one. My sister gave it to me though she'd never used it. I actually liked to use it because Rowan was (and is) a kicker. The side cushions kept her swaddling on longer since I could tuck the blanket down the side. I used it for about two months before her kicking became strong enough to dislodge even the tucked blanket. That's when I stopped swaddling.

Shellie
Mom to Rowan - 2/19/04

hellosmiletoday
07-10-2004, 01:07 AM
Do you know when its too late to correct plagio. DD also wants to look to right. We use only one side of the wedge, and put it in back of her for a side sleeping position to left. We dont put a wedge in front of her since she could wiggle and possibly suffocate from it. We started placing her on left at 1 mo. The ped actually recommended the positioner.