PDA

View Full Version : Nursing footstool on ottoman?

indigo
06-14-2004, 12:32 AM
Wondering whether I should get the Dutailier ottoman with the nursing footstool pullout option. We have the glider and the non-footstool ottoman, which I like a lot, but can't decide whether I should go back and get the pullout option instead.

Our baby is not yet here (3 more weeks!) so I haven't had a chance to figure out how I will like the ottoman once I breast-feed. So far I have used the glider/ottoman for reading but don't know how that compares to one's position for nursing. I am pretty petite (5'0) so that may make a difference.

I had tried out the pullout feature at BRU once and thought "well, that's not so different from pushing off against the floor" and so decided to get just the regular gliding ottoman, as I liked the motion and propping my tired feet up. Now I've had it a few days I just don't know. Anyone have specific advice, pro or con?

thanks!!

houseof3boys
06-14-2004, 09:48 AM
I tried it out in the store when I was looking for one and opted to just get the regular gliding ottoman and a Medela nursing stool. The stool helps to position your legs correctly to assist in breastfeeding....or at least that's what they say :). You can also move the stool from room to room and I even brought it in the car the first time I nursed in the car on a very long drive down to visit my family when Ryan was 8 weeks old. In the beginning when nursing can be awkward as you learn to hold the baby, I found the stool very useful. At one year, I still use the stool in his room and Ryan loves to climb on it now!

indigo
06-14-2004, 10:41 AM
thanks for the feedback! Did you end up liking the gliding ottoman as well? It seems comfy, so far... I just wonder if it's helpful for nursing.

houseof3boys
06-14-2004, 11:16 AM
The gliding part doesn't really make for easy nursing positioning since you have no incline and the ottoman moves quite a bit if you have your feet up on it. We got the ottoman for my DH's comfort when he sits in the chair and I put my feet up when I am just sitting in the chair with Ryan or watching him play in his room. If your budget doesn't allow for the ottoman, maybe you can order it later but I didn't want to worry about the fabric being discontinued. Lots of people just get the chair and the Medela stool and forgo the ottoman completely.

Ask if you have any more questions. I remember being very confused about this too!

indigo
06-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Debbi, thanks again for your insights! I returned the regular ottoman today and got the ottoman w/ nursing footstool.

I went to BuyBuyBaby and sat in the glider again for a long time, with a rolled-up blanket in my arms as if it were a baby. The pullout footstool was the best height for me (the Medela footstool felt too low for my short legs: 0)). I *was* surprised to realize that the ottoman doesn't glide when the footstool is pulled out, but I guess that makes sense. Very happy now with my setup!!

houseof3boys
06-14-2004, 09:08 PM
I'm happy that you made your decision! I hope it works out great for you. :)