PDA

View Full Version : Creating a nursery vs. a permanent bedroom?

helaina
06-15-2004, 01:36 PM
What are the pros and cons of creating a permanent bedroom for a new baby versus making a nursery to be used by multiple children? At first I'd assumed that I'd use the smallest bedroom and make that into a nursery, putting the first baby in there, and then moving him/her to a bigger room when we have our second baby. But now I'm thinking it might be more fun to just use the bigger bedroom and set it up to be a permanent bedroom. Then if we have a second child I'd just wheel the crib into a new bedroom for the new baby. I'm currently pregnant with #1 and hope to find out the sex in another few weeks. What are your thoughts?

cric
06-15-2004, 03:48 PM
I think it's a matter of personal preference. We made the room closer to our room as the "nursery" and will move DS in time for #2. I pretty much walk there in my sleep now, it's a straight shot. We will then decorate that room for him and maybe let him help with color (if he's old enough to help). Our nursery will then become #2's personal bedroom too keep the last room as a guest room (furthest from our room/not sharing a wall). We have painted it a neutral color (I like yellow anyway) and are just adding little things like blue curtains, etc. Those can move with DS and we can then work on the room for #2.

Good Luck!

gatorsmom
06-21-2004, 10:21 PM
You might want to wait and see how #1 feels about moving to a new room when the second baby comes. Depending on how mature he/she is when it's time to move, they might be more comfortable staying in their familiar surroundings. Or, it could be an exciting move "to a big kid room" Another thing to think about is if the second is the same gender as the first and you've already decorated the room one way, it might be less work just to keep those gender specific decoration, clothes and supplies for the second. So many things to plan for, aren't there? :)