PDA

View Full Version : Dutailier # 11480 or 11780?

indigo
06-18-2004, 02:37 PM
Does anyone have either of these models? I am trying to decide between them - I have tried the 11780 and it is the right size for me (the 9000 series seem too big). Haven't yet tried the 11480, is it just a different style but same size? I am 5' and it's important to me that my feet reach the floor comfortably . Thanks for your help!

nupe
06-20-2004, 02:27 PM
I'm 3 inches taller than you. I have the 11789--which is the 11780 with recline and lock. I chose it because it fit me well, and the lines of the rails match our crib design. I felt swallowed up by the Best chairs, and also bigger Dutailiers. Don't recall if I had tried the 11480 or not. Love the 11789 and ottoman as does DH, his parents and my parents. The 11789 also has nicer cushions than lower end models from Dutailier. By the way, I did a special order and chose a red upholstery fabric that looks like real furniture!

Nupe

indigo
06-20-2004, 10:21 PM
thanks for the feedback! We actually now have both (!) at the moment - but probably will sell the 11480. (We got them both used.) Both are well-made and about the same size, the differences are mainly in the styling.

For anyone else considering these models:

11480 - Four-poster model: supposedly the economy or entry-level Dutailier; arms, spindles, etc. are all straight-sided pieces (no steambent components, which I guess make it cheaper to manufacture, but still high-quality wood and joinery). Gives it more of a "country" look, IMO. Seat cushion is not reversible. No pockets on arm cushions. Seat is slightly shallower (maybe 1/2- 1 inch?) than the 11780 - possibly a plus if you are petite like me.

11780 - Sleighback model: curved lines, more substantial components - wider feet, thicker spindles. Seat and back cushions are reversible and feel thicker/more resilient than the entry-level ones. HIgher back than the 11480, but seat height and depth are still a good size for petite rockers. Arm cushions have pockets.

I found that www.rocking-chairs.com has dimensions and detailed descriptions, if anyone is interested.