PDA

View Full Version : What's the fuss over 2nd hand mattresses if it's ok to reuse for baby#2?

bostonsmama
07-05-2004, 04:24 AM
Hi, newcomer trying for her first child here. I recently received an amazing gift from a friend as a good luck gesture for our baby's conception: a beautiful Pali sleigh crib and a Colgate coiled crib mattress, both of which are about 5 years old. Having read Baby Bargains and Baby 411 from cover to cover, I couldn't help but get the message that USED mattresses for cribs are a severe NO-NO. If I remember correctly, there is speculation from health agencies that the urine/vomit/liquids that get trapped in the mattress can fester and release toxins which choke off the baby's oxygen supply, hence increasing an infant's risk of dying from SIDS. :o Well, if this is true, than it certainly can't be safe to reuse ANY crib mattress, even for a second child. Reading back over previous posts, I saw that many moms were encouraging others to reuse a mattress they purchased for baby #1. But if that is kosher, why isn't using a second-hand mattress kosher? If urine is urine and vomit is vomit, won't toxins release equally as well, even if the children are related?

So, here are my questions: Are there rules to go by when using a second-hand, or previously USED crib mattress? Are there other reasons to avoid a pre-owned mattress? On safety websites, doctors and experts write that good mattresses should be without rips, tears, seam damage, heavy staining, odor, compression, broken coils and loose parts. So, if all of these specifications are met, is the mattress okay to use? Does it come down to whether or not you know how rough prior kids have been on a mattress? Is it worth the $60-$100 extra for "peace of mind," or is that just "first-time mom syndrome?" :o

Can somebody feed me some truth, because it's just all a little overwhelming...... ;(

helaina
07-05-2004, 09:16 AM
The Baby Bargains Book says you need to buy a new mattress with each child. People may choose not to, but that is their recommendation. I think it's worth the $60-100 to know you're reducing your baby's risk of SIDS.

sdbc
07-05-2004, 10:18 AM
I wonder how controlled those studies were. For example, do people who buy second-hand mattresses tend to be of a lower socio-economic background than those who buy new, and do they tend to smoke cigarettes more? I agree--if the studies are showing no increased risk of SIDS if the mattress is used by a sibling, the idea that it's due to urine and vomit is odd--especially for mattresses covered in thick plastic. Perhaps many used mattresses had been stored in basements where mold could grow, etc.

I would personally use the same mattress for my second child that I did for the first if there was no damage to it. If I had a good friend who I know kept the mattress in a clean dry place and always used a waterproof mattress pad on it, I would consider using it, but more likely I would just buy a new one just to be safe (unless money was very tight), and I would never buy a used mattress from a stranger.

The crib sounds wonderful. If your friend still doesn't have the instructions, you definitely should contact the manufacturer and they will most likely be able to send them to you. We bought a used Simmons crib (new mattress) and it didn't come with instructions. I put it together and it seemed fine, but I emailed Simmons and asked them to send instructions, just in case. Turns out the people forgot to give us and entire part to the crib--the STABILIZER BAR!!! An important part, I'd think. You couldn't tell the crib was missing the part just by looking at it. We were able to get the part from them, but if they didn't have it, Simmons was going to ship it to us for only $15. The people didn't do it on purpose--it was just that the crib was disassembled and they didn't realize that part went with it. It could happen to anybody--make sure to get the instructions. :)

bostonsmama
07-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Okay, thanks for the great input. Thanks especially for the tip about calling the company for instructions/parts. I never thought to check on that as I watched her assemble and disassemble that crib a hundred times. But it leads to an interesting dilemma: do I tell my friend "Here, have this back, I'm going to buy my own. I'm a worry wort and would like to make sure my mattress meets the most recent JPMA/CPSC specifications" ?? or "Thanks, I'm excited to use it!" while I chuck it up in the attic? I don't know.

I find it so funny that even though I know we're going to fork out nearly $2000 on "necessities" for our unborn child's nursery (ala the glider, dresser, bedding, layette, & babyproofing items), it still feels like OUCH everytime we go into Sears or BRU and look at crib mattress prices.

Is there such a thing as being selectively cheap? My husband, who is the KING of frugality, is fighting me on this one. He sees nothing wrong with using this second-hand mattress. He thinks I have first time mom (2B) syndrome. He probably didn't get the memo that says he's supposed to spare every expense for his first child, especially when it comes to safety and DEATH. He's even united with my dad (who is of the old school) and started to tell me that the surgeon general's warning about SIDS and crib mattresses is bogus because they "change their minds every 5 years anyways...afterall, they used to deny that smoking caused cancer!" Anyways!!!! Is there compelling evidence to tell my hubby?

kaitlinsmommy
07-05-2004, 08:05 PM
I will use dd's Colgate Classica when we have our second child. She slept with us a lot (still does), never threw up on it & only peed on it a couple times so it's practically like new. I don't know what the rules are but I would probably only use a "used" mattress if it was mine previously because I know what it went through.

hwin708
07-06-2004, 02:39 AM
If you want to get a new mattress (which I would as well), I would suggest going with the Kolcraft foam mattress at Target. It has gotten excellent reviews from the Baby Bargains book and parents on this board, and it's only $30.
That way, when your husband questions the risk, you can just reply with "why take any chance of harm to the baby over thirty freaking dollars?!"
As for your friend, it depends on what she's like. If she's very sensitive (and unlikely to check the baby's mattress to ensure you're using hers), lie - tell her you love it and toss it in the attic. If she's not very sensitive, just half lie - pin the blame on someone else, like saying "thanks, but my mom really wants me to buy a new mattress because of some crazy dateline special she saw a while ago about risks." Then just sigh and shake your head.
I've found that while there's no problem in being a crazy protective mom, it's just much easier to avoid taking much crap for it by always pinning the blame on my mother. Works for me!

lmladuke
07-06-2004, 12:03 PM
I'm in the same boat about buying a new crib mattress. We had a used one for DS (I did not know then about the dangers of used crib mattresses). I am thinking of buying a new one for the new baby and am overwhelmed at the choices. Is foam better? I hear alot of positive reviews about the Colgate Classica - where do you buy that.

Can someone else shed some light on what the best choices are for crib mattresses?

Thanks

Lori

Mommy to Jonathan 7/27/01
and to Baby Girl EDD 7/31/04

sdbc
07-06-2004, 05:23 PM
If your friend is sensitive, just take the mattress and store it away if you choose not to use it. I don't think any of my friends would mind if I decided not to take their mattress, though.

I did want to say that we have the Kolcraft mattress from Target. It was only $30, and she is very comfortable on it--sleeps through the night at 7 weeks! I wanted a coil mattress at first, but the one we got initially didn't fit our crib quite right so we had to return it. I got the foam one and am so glad. It is so light, and that makes changing the sheets much easier. You could tell her you decided to get a foam mattress for that reason...

bostonsmama
07-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Thanks all for your input. I didn't know that Target had such inexpensive, great quality mattresses. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen one overtly displayed at either of the three Targets in our area...but I'll have to go back and hunt. I guess since I had only done a preliminary search at Sears and BRU, I imagined all mattresses were in the $80-$100 range.:o I have also heard good things about the foam mattress you mentioned and the benefits of its light weight when changing the sheets.

Indeed, it will be much easier to convince my hubby to buy "another" mattress when it will only cost us 30 bucks. Alas, some husbands join the bandwagon earlier than others...mine is probably waiting for the real event to jump start the roller coaster of excitement. But in the meantime...thanks for your input.

If anyone else has additional suggestions, I welcome them. For a second there I was imagining having to cut back on another item to make room for this additional cost. I just love to save money. Afterall, I don't remember a thing about my nursery when I was a child, so I don't want to go overboard...but a mattress is the foundation for healthy sleep and play...so it makes sense to take the precaution without sacrificing budget. **THANKS** :D

Mommyto3
07-07-2004, 12:42 PM
When we had our first daughter, someone recommended to us that we not take the plastic, that the mattress comes in, off of the mattress, because it would protect it. Therefore, we never did! We kept the mattress in the original plastic that it came in, and then, of course, put a mattress pad and sheet over it. So, it is in LBN condition. We never had any qualms about using it with our second child because of this.

That said, I can't see myself ever borrowing or using a second hand mattress. I understand poop is poop and pee is pee...but when it's someone else's kids poop and pee, it's just seems strange to me! I mean I wouldn't buy or use a second hand mattress for myself, so I can't see myself doing it for my new baby...IMHO..and if it were me, I would forgo something else in your nursery and fork out the $$ for a new mattress. Your DH is going to die when he sees how expensive babies are!!! LOL!! Diapers alone are a killer on the 'ol pocketbook...never mind if you are using formula!! Yikes! I nursed my older daughter for 13 mos..so no formula...my second daughter I needed to ween at 6.5 mos, because I was pg again...OMG...We would spend close to $200/month on formula and diapers...it's crazy!

Good luck getting pg!!!

bostonsmama
07-07-2004, 04:16 PM
I'm with you Joanne! I think your argument was exactly what I was getting at: If we are so concerned that a build up of toxins increases our children's risk of passing from SIDS, then shouldn't we also take precautions with children #'s 2, 3, and 4....? I like your idea of keeping the mattress in the plastic for #1, then maybe taking it off for #2...inclusive of the mattress protector and such.

Yes, for the money my DH makes (which, by the way, what does the "D" stand for in DH????), he is pretty frugal. But he knows what he's getting into--he's one of five children. His family would go through two gallons of milk and two loaves of bread every day! I can't imagine what his mother went through in diapers and rice cereal in the first years!! Hmm, maybe that's why DH is trying to cut corners....well, I let him read all of the posts and he has happily agreed that when the time comes, we will buy a new mattress. I appreciate everthing...and thanks for the well wishes!