PDA

View Full Version : $350ish Relax-R Glider from Babycenter.com - Great Investment! Reclines, locks, ottoman, great fabric, etc.

swan01
07-16-2004, 05:31 PM
Based on a handful of good reviews from Babycenter.com, my husband and I purchased a Relax-R glider for about $350 (we had a 15% off coupon, but had to pay taxes and overweight shipping).

http://store.babycenter.com/product/nursery/furniture/gliders/7085

We wanted all the options that come on an expensive glider, but did not want to pay for them. Anyway, it took about 2 weeks for our shipment to arrive. The glider showed up one day and the ottoman showed up the next day. There was minor assembly involved and the directions are rather awful, but it was pretty self-explanatory. The fabric is a micro-suede type mocha color that looks very easy to maintain and BOY! is this glider comfortable. The cat has already taken up permanent residence in the chair (this will promptly stop this weekend when we - hopefully - finish painting the baby room and can move the glider upstairs to its final resting place). The frame is metal, not wood, but it is a nice bronze color that is very attractive.

Anyway, thought I would pass along our judgement of the chair. Let me know if anyone has any questions or comments.

Thanks!

verrine
08-31-2004, 07:47 AM
We just registered for this glider & ottoman combo for $350 at Baby Depot. The first time we were in there, my husband tried to get me to consider it, but I preferred the wooden gliders' looks. Then, after reading what the Baby Bargains, Girlfriends' Guide & Consumer Reports books had to say about choosing a glider, and searching this board for other parents' experiences, I had new criteria. I wanted a glider with the following features in this order: reclining, with head support for my 6'2" husband, would fit a "My Brest Friend" nursing pillow, comes with an ottoman, & locks in place.

This is the least expensive model that reclines! The Dutailiers that recline at Babys 'R' Us are at least $100 more & that's without an ottoman. Plus, the nice wooden frame ones (Dutailier, Shermag, Jardine) at BRU seemed to have a lot of wear & tear from being on display. Variously, the wood finish was rubbing off, the handles/knobs for reclining were broken, the gliding mechanism stuck, & the fabric was dirty. While some of the problems I saw may be due to errors in assembly, the sturdiness of a metal frame took on new appeal.

It is actually an attractive design, only the frame is very dark brown tubular metal instead of the light-colored wood that I prefer. I doubt this chair will make it into my living room. Still, how it feels will be more important at 3 a.m. feedings then how it looks.

tturner
09-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Anyone have a real life picture they can post of these? thx!

verrine
09-02-2004, 06:50 AM
http://www.bcfdirect.com/IWStoreBCF.process?Merchant_Id=1&proc=IWCatProductPage&Section_Id=9533&pcount=&pn=1&Product_Id=354563

This is the one available in-store at Baby Depot. They have a lot of other Relax-R models & colors online.

swan01
09-02-2004, 10:52 AM
We are ALMOST done with the nursery. I will try and remember to take some pictures of the glider and post them. I think it is REALLY comfortable and I like the fact that it reclines, but does not take up a lot of room. I am shocked by how close the the walls (we have it in a corner) we have it and I can still recline all the way (it does not recline like a la-z-boy, the butt of it glides more towards the front if that makes any sense). The fabric seems very durable. We got the "mocha" color which does not go with the baby's room very well, but I was afraid to get a lighter color.

Thanks!

tturner
09-03-2004, 06:21 PM
I guess the Baby Depot stores in my area don't carry the glider. I checked several, but only saw some by Shermag. Neither one of them were very comfortable. I'll probably just order one based on the good reviews. Appreciate if anyone can post a pic of theirs:) thx!

boomer29
09-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Hello everyone. We've been perusing the board for a couple of years and I really thought that I should not write this, but hubby said that this is what message boards are for. Anyways, I so glad that you have found a well priced glider, but, I'm sorry in advance if you feel that this is not my place to say anything. We purchased two of these gliders last year, the model number was 246. It was a very comfortable glider and since it was top of the line, the total cost was around $1100.00. After approx. 5 monthes they both(yes, both within 3 weeks of each other) started squeaking. We contacted the store and they told us to contact the company. They were very nice on the phone and said that they would get back to us. We waited around 3 weeks and then we called back. We were told that they moved their headquarters back to Quebec and were having troubles finding their records as to the correct serial numbers that our chairs were. Not to write a novel here, we never got the chairs repaired and they were sold in a yard sale this year. Although they were very nice, they were not prepared to service our chairs and their service dept. was, in all honesty, lost. This probably will not happen to anyone else, but we thought that we should tell our story. Sorry if I ruined anyones day. Bet.

naomi01
09-22-2004, 12:10 AM
We have a different complaint - we had the glider tip over backward twice while I was holding the baby in my arms, very scary although no one was hurt. We sent it back, paid a fortune in shipping and therefore only got a partial refund. As my son gets older I am even more glad not to have such a tippy chair in the house. (Ours was actually a more expensive model).

naomi01
09-22-2004, 12:11 AM
We have a different complaint - we had the glider tip over backward twice while I was holding the baby in my arms, very scary although no one was hurt. We sent it back, paid a fortune in shipping and therefore only got a partial refund. As my son gets older I am even more glad not to have such a tippy chair in the house. (Ours was actually a more expensive model).