PDA

View Full Version : pack n play bassinet question

katenyc
07-18-2004, 09:33 PM
My dd is a good sleeper (in the infant seat, the stroller, in bed with us), but often wakes up soon after we put in her in the PnP.

I watched her today when I put her down for a nap (she had fallen asleep on me)--as long as my hand was on her, she was fine, but then when I took my hand away, she startled and woke up crying. It occurred to me that b/c the PnP bassinet matress is not as firm as our bed or the infant seat, that maybe she feels like she is falling and that is why she startles awake.

Am I crazy? Has anyone else experienced something similar?

TIA

sdbc
07-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Hi,

My daughter is 2 months old. We had planned, before she was born, to have her sleep in the pnp bassinet next to the bed. She would ALWAYS scream as soon as we put her in there. After a few nights, we tried her in bed with us, and she slept a bit better, but I was neurotic and couldn't sleep, so that lasted 2 nights. Then, when she was 1.5 weeks old, we started just putting her in her crib at night, and she slept great! So it wasn't that she had to be right next to me, it was that the pnp was not comfortable for some reason. At 2 months old now, she sleeps 9 hours straight in her crib!

katenyc
07-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks....good to know this isn't a unique case.

Unfortunately, we don't have a backup plan. The pnp was supposed to be our crib until we moved (to a much bigger apartment) in September.

I am also a little paranoid about having her in bed--not about rolling over, but about our sheets and blankets getting into her face. But I've been so tired that I just nurse her in bed and "suddenly" two hours have passed. Last night she slept five hrs next to dh and neither one of them moved a muscle (he's also exhausted!)

kaitlinsmommy
07-18-2004, 11:45 PM
Hi Kate,
Congratulations on the birth of dd! These are exhausting times, aren't they? Our dd slept in the PNP bassinet for the first 4 months and didn't have any problems. She still sleeps with us, but until she was older, I was also nervous about having her in bed. Was today a one-time occurrence or does she always dislike the PNP? Was she not fully asleep when you put her down? Since you just need to use it for another month or two, maybe try waiting until she is totally asleep (lift her arm to see if it's limp) before putting her in. If you don't want to use the PNP anymore, can you just have her sleep on your bed without blankets or pillows near her (as long as she can't roll yet)?

Good luck!

amp
07-19-2004, 12:01 PM
My son startled awake a lot as a newborn! It didn't matter if it was in the PNP, the crib, the floor, the bed. Just the warmth of my arms leaving him caused it. I don't think it's that uncommon.

hellosmiletoday
07-19-2004, 02:48 PM
I havent experienced a problem with the PnP, but DD slept in a traditional bassinet for the first month or so, while the PnP was used solely as changing area. At 6 wks, DD first used PnP when visiting grandparents with no problems.

However, DD did not sleep much during her 1st month...she seemed to prefer sitting more upright (e.g. in bouncy seat, car seat, propped up in Boppy) to help with reflux. Maybe your DD doesnt like to be flat?

In the first month when DD slept very little, I too fed her in bed, and it seems like she would eat for ages (probably satisfying her need to suck), and then I would "accidentally" wake up 2 hrs later and find that DD was sleeping next to me. At one point, DH would sleep on couch while I fed DD and let her take her time to fall asleep. Both DH and I move alot while sleeping in our queen bed, so having a baby sleep with us is not a good idea!

The good news is that after about 6 wks, DD slept much better, especially since she had learned to "enjoy" sucking on her pacifier and eventually falling asleep! SO maybe your daughter just needs time, although I'm no expert!

I do see how its possible that your daughter doesnt like the feel of the PnP. My suggestion would be to try a bassinet, whose mattress is firmer than PnP. I got mine at Target for $60.

sdbc
07-21-2004, 12:11 AM
I don't know if this will make a difference, and it might be hard doing this without waking her up, but before buying anohter bassinet, maybe try putting her to sleep in the pnp without using the bassinet part. Just put the mattress in the bottom like you'd use for an older child. I think the bottom part might be more supportive. It's worth a try, anyway.

Tondi G
07-22-2004, 03:24 PM
MY DS had the EXACT same Problem!!!! The bassinet feature is kind of like a hammock of sorts and moves when they do.... always woke DS up!!!! My neighbor has an Arms Reach Co Sleeper and doesn't have this problem.... it's solid like a crib! Check Ebay for one.... it'll get you through till you need a true crib!!!!! Good Luck

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

gitapet
07-23-2004, 04:05 PM
My son did the same thing. My best guess was that the swaying of the bassinet insert when we put him in or he moved woke him up. A friend loaned me an actual bassinet and putting him down to sleep stopped being such a difficult task. When we started visiting friends on the weekends and putting him in the bottom of the PNP he did much better than he had when he was younger and going in the bassinet.

I'm planning either buying or borrowing a bassinet for the new baby since I'm SURE that s/he will have the same problem.

Mom to Ian, born 10/21/2002,
Expectant Mom to ??? due approx. 10/2/2004

Jennymarie
07-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Just FYI, for some babies that swaying feature can actually come in pretty handy. Our 7 week old sleeps in the PNP bassinett of a Graco "Mini" pack-n-play, and he's been sleeping just as well in it as in the crib. I like that swaying feature, because if he fusses at night all I have to do is reach into the bassinet and put my hand on him to rock him in the hanging mechanism and he settles right down. Maybe our kid is just wierd that way?