PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Covered Baskets for Storage...Alternative to PB kids??

bostonsmama
07-20-2004, 01:07 AM
Hey, I had the chance to check out those neat little storage baskets that Pottery Barn Kids sells. The baskets are square-ish, come in white, chocolate, and natural, and have separate little liners in an array of blue, green, red, and yellow ginghams. I think they're a great idea, but for $32.00 per basket and an addition $8.00 for the liners, they make storage for a child's toys a costly addition. Has anyone found these baskets elsewhere? I'm in the idea-gathering stage and would like to know what others have done. Instead of a toy box, which could pose numerous safety hazards, I would like to set up a bookcase with baskets on the bottom so a toddler can help pick up/put away/store his/her own toys. I thought it would be easy to buy some inexpensive baskets at Michaels and sew my own covers, but after careful inspection at the store, it looks like they have super complex angles for sewing. Any leads???

hellosmiletoday
07-20-2004, 02:44 AM
For under the crib, I bought two large "under the bed" baskets at Micheals and my mom sewed a cover. They actually hold quite a bit and are bigger than the ones PBK sells.

StubbyDog
07-20-2004, 10:34 AM
I've seen decent baskets w/liners at Target. In fact, they have a "child furniture" area now (I think they've had the items before, but I just noticed them all set up in a new area when I went to Target last weekend) that has bookcases, stools, shelves, even dressers (although I didn't check safety stuff on the dressers) that were cute and for good prices. The baskets were square and made to fit that furniture. I've also seen those baskets in housewares.

emmiem
07-20-2004, 11:48 AM
The baskets are expensive but well made and hold up to a lot of weight. Check hte price again but I think it might be $32 for two baskets.
Michele

bostonsmama
07-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Hey there, thanks for the tips (everyone)! I just wanted to know if your mom used a pattern when sewing a liner for the basket. I'm pretty good on a sewing machine; I've sewn together lined curtains and multi-panel bedspreads, but the angles for the covers look complex. I was toying with the idea of buying one and cutting the seams open to see how it is made and then make a template. Does McCalls have a pattern?

Does anyone have pictures they could post of what they've done??? That would be sooo cool!

I think when it's time, and I've narrowed down my focus for the room, I will buy the baskets and make the liners. BTW, a great place to find baskets in the Virginia area is at the Williamsburg Pottery. My mother just told me she found hand-crafted, American-made baskets of countless shapes and sizes which are sold for fractions of the cost of "designer brands," which are usually made in sweatshops by underpaid women who don't even get bathroom breaks and could be fired if they sneeze or laugh.

bostonsmama
07-20-2004, 11:02 PM
I wish they were $32 for two! I would snatch them up like hot cakes. Actually, I just looked online and they are even MORE expensive than I thought. Large Sabrina baskets are on SALE 2 for $64.00, and large and medium regular baskets are $39.00ea on sale from $44.00! Wow, doesn't sound like a baby bargain to me....eeks! But it's probably worth checking their outlet stores, since you vouch for their quality. But in the end, I think I'll wind up at the Williamsburg Pottery, a local craft warehouse about 2 hours south of Washington DC. I've seen their quality in some of my mom's crafts...supremo! Thanks for the advice, though!

hwin708
07-21-2004, 12:07 AM
Here are several options:
http://www.cargokids.com/catalog/siblings.asp?idproduct=895
http://www.pier1.com/store/productdetail.asp?catalog%5Fname=Pier1&strStoreNavDept=&strStoreNavClass=&search=true&multipleresults=true&strSearchDescr=basket&intSearchPriceRangeID=0&intSearchCategoryID=0&intSearchTypeID=2&category_name=GROUP+43945+Willow+Shelf+Baskets&intPageNumber=10&intSetNumber=2
http://www.pier1.com/store/productdetail.asp?catalog%5Fname=Pier1&strStoreNavDept=&strStoreNavClass=&search=true&multipleresults=true&strSearchDescr=basket&intSearchPriceRangeID=0&intSearchCategoryID=0&intSearchTypeID=2&category_name=GROUP+1289+Cotton+Lined+Willow+Baske ts&intPageNumber=3&intSetNumber=1
http://www.pier1.com/store/productdetail.asp?catalog%5Fname=Pier1&strStoreNavDept=&strStoreNavClass=&search=true&multipleresults=true&strSearchDescr=basket&intSearchPriceRangeID=0&intSearchCategoryID=0&intSearchTypeID=2&category_name=GROUP+45562+Natural+Willow+Square+Ba sket&intPageNumber=6&intSetNumber=2
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-10/qid=1090380102/ref=sr_1-10/602-1326086-3561411?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B00009N6PQ
http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=7107&CatID=8448&CatTyp=&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=0a258ab&ProdSeq=2&Cat=closet+storage&Dep=for+the+home&PCat=&PCatID=7122&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=6&RecPtr=&SearchIn=0&ShowMenu=T&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&PersistenceID=INETMER212+768954+464463890&RecordID=M+1+0+Aqc0000800+768854++Aqc0000800&SearchString=basket
http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=7107&CatID=13687&CatTyp=&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=09ca671&ProdSeq=8&Cat=storage+solutions+-+closet+%26+laundry&Dep=for+the+home&PCat=&PCatID=7107&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=10&RecPtr=&SearchIn=0&ShowMenu=T&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&PersistenceID=INETMER211+788941+464582765&RecordID=M+1+0+Aqc0000800+788839++Aqc0000800&SearchString=basket

The last one at JC Pennys or one of the larger Pier 1 baskets are your best bet if you're looking for something like the extra large Sabrina size.
Personally, I like the look of the Cargo Kids ones the best, but I ultimately decided to go with the Pottery Barn ones myself, because the store is near me, and I just couldn't wait. In retrospect, as I am constantly buying more (and spending more), I should have gone with the pier one baskets. They are also conveniently close and somewhat cheaper
If you definitely want the pottery barn ones, I would advise calling an outlet near you to see if they carry the baskets.
Here's a list of pottery barn outlets:
http://ww2.potterybarn.com/cs/index.cfm?src=cst&sid=PBE110ELUMZSKPQZCQBFSZZTG4VRAOAL200407202016&s%45ct=outlet&ftest=1&flash=on

Also, you may want to look at ebay. The baskets are somewhat cheaper there, and the liners can be found for dirt cheap. If you just want to get one to tear apart, and are therefore not picky on pattern, you may want to buy a cheap liner on ebay.

HTH!

ETA: Just wanted to mention that there were loads more Pier 1 options that I didn't link. Also, I personally thought that many of the cheaper basket would look more comparable to the pottery barn baskets if their liners weren't so flimsy. Though many of them come with liners included in their price, you may still want to consider sewing a liner.

Rikkele
07-21-2004, 03:05 PM
I have the ones from Pier 1 and find them to be very sturdy and well made!

ETA: Hey, I just found these on onestepahead.com :
http://www.onestepahead.com/product/27199/139757/117.html

Have never seen IRL but they claim to be sturdy and "high quality." They are 15 x 15 and are sold in sets of 2 with liners included. Best part is they are on sale for $16.95 (reg 29.95) or you can get the liners personalized with baby's name for $21.95 (reg 39.95). I think I may have to order a set just to check them out!

emmiem
07-21-2004, 04:03 PM
You know, I just checked my receipt. I got two medium Sabrina baskets in honey for $34. That is for both baskets.
Michele

bostonsmama
07-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Hey, thanks for the links! I just found out there is a Pottery Barn outlet store in my state! Very exciting...sounds like it's time for a roadtrip. I appreciate all the help ladies. I've just started to check out all of your tips.

Once again, appreciate it! :)

hellosmiletoday
07-21-2004, 05:07 PM
She didn't use a pattern...here are the pictures...I think she pretty much made up her own design.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9490.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9491.jpg

czollmann
07-21-2004, 10:45 PM
I just wanted to say that I also got the ones from Pier 1 that another poster gave the link to

http://www.pier1.com/store/productdetail.asp?catalog%5Fname=Pier1&strStoreNavDept=&strStoreNavClass=&search=true&multipleresults=true&strSearchDescr=basket&intSearchPriceRangeID=0&intSearchCategoryID=0&intSearchTypeID=2&category_name=GROUP+1289+Cotton+Lined+Willow+Baske ts&intPageNumber=3&intSetNumber=1

I wanted white though, so I spray painted them and then replaced the natural liners with ones that I made from ginham fabric purchased at JoAnn's. The liners were pretty easy to make (I didnt not put a tie/bow on them) and the baskets look pretty good but the quality doesn't really compare to the sabrina baskets. I got one from PBK for my son's room for books and it is really nice. But because I needed 4 large ones for the changing table, I just couldn't justify the price which is why I went with the Pier 1 option. They were on sale at Pier 1 when I bought them.

Carol
mom to
Ben (2/02) & Jack (3/04)

bostonsmama
07-21-2004, 11:35 PM
Oh my gosh, I love your crib!!! So pretty! Where did you get that sheer crib drape???? It's simply beautiful! Thanks for the pics of the baskets/liners. I like how she (your mama) left the handle part open; I'm sure it makes it easier to grab them from underneath the crib. I see now how she constructed the draw string part. Maybe this won't be so hard after all....Once again thank you, thank you, thank you!

hellosmiletoday
07-21-2004, 11:43 PM
The drape is known as a mosquito net in spanish, and was actually mine (its 26 yrs old!). It actually used to be white, but now is beige/cream, and its a coincidence b/c it matches the crib I picked out...it would be way to expensive to buy nowadays! FYI...the baskets ended up being $15 each with a 40% off coupon to Micheals. I also have another one in a different style (w/o a liner) on my changing table to hold diapers and such. That one I actually found in Bath n Body Works, believe it or not.

Basically I spent my last trimester with my eye out for baskets...I saw them at Micheals, JoAnns, BB&Beyond, etc and ended up picking one out at Micheals...I gave my mom the UPC since she is in another town, and she went and bought them. So they might actually still have some left at your micheals! Is there a "basketville" in your area? I remember when I was on vacation in New England I saw a store and they had TONS of baskets.

Laela
07-23-2004, 02:14 PM
Just stopped by Pier 1 and there is a 25% sale going on right now, for all baskets and hampers. Lots of other stuff on sale as well. And for regular-priced iterms, you can get an additional %15 with a student id ... c'mon, I know a lot of you have kept yours and can still pass as a student!

slecompte
07-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Walmart has them in the infant section--like where the furn stuff is--they actually look decent. BRU also carries them--much cheaper than PBK. They have white also if you don't want the brown.

Sheila

bostonsmama
07-24-2004, 02:21 AM
Aww, it's so cute, everyone thinks I'm from Boston/New England. Actually, my husband and I live in Virginia Beach, VA (on the Chesapeake Bay). I've never heard of a Basketville, but we sure do have a lot of "folk art" craft shops around here. Our city is about 25 minutes away from Jamestown (you know, the colony founded byJohn Smith in 1609 when basket-weaving was a reliable trade)...so we have tons of basket and craft markets that try to capture the spirit of our history with antique reproduction baskets.

On another note, I guess I'm not surprised that Michael's charges over $12 for each basket, but I was hoping for a "smoking deal." That's my FIL's phraseology for a super bargain...you know, like you practically stole it. For $6 more each, I could get the PB Kids baskets, which other moms praise for their quality, but then I'd have to overlook my intense dislike for companies that employ sweatshop laborers. Well, it wouldn't be the first time, or the last, that I served my own interests in the name of a bargain.

But anyways, love that netting...it's gorgeous! Hopefully your children will be able to use it for theirs and receive equally as flattering remarks as to its beauty in the future.

Lots of shopping to do...I plan on checking out Michaels, a PB outlet, and our local shops....then we'll see about my sewing skills!

bostonsmama
07-24-2004, 02:42 AM
You got a smoking deal on those baskets. I know they're not the largest ones, but that's pretty decent compared to prices out in town for similar products.

When I was in the store in Atlanta, I never saw a price tag that said 1 of 2, or 2 pieces, was $15/16/17 the separate price? Was there a clearance sale? How did you get such a deal? (Truly envious :) )

I saw an updated sale on the PB Kids website listing 2 pink med baskets for $39 PLUS tax and shipping. Some off color ones were going for about the same $$. Still, by the time you add the liners (with more tax/shipping), each basket averages $30! (That's $15-$16 for the basket, $8-10 for the liner, $5-9 for tax, S&H). Is it really worth it? That's $120 worth of storage if you buy 4 baskets/liners, still with nothing to put them on.

So, once again everyone, are the baskets 100% absolutely-without-a-doubt worth it? Many moms seem to say yes, they are the best buy for the money because of their quality. Any last thoughts?

amyliv
07-24-2004, 12:06 PM
My last thoughts are that it is good that you are NOT in Boston/New England.. I think it is going to be a tough week to get around and shop in Beantown w/ the convention this week. I bought a bunch of lined baskets at target , I found them on the "end caps" of the aisles , where a lot of sale items can be found.