PDA

View Full Version : Used crib for Grandma's House

deva
08-20-2004, 10:55 AM
I have a question...

My in-laws have been offering us my husband and brother-in-law's crib, which is nearly 30 years old (my husband was born in 1974).

I have (with much effort) convinced my husband that it isn't a good idea and they have agreed to buy us a new crib.

Just when I thought the old crib was out of the picture, my mother in law said, "You ARE going to let the baby sleep in the old crib when you visit our house, AREN'T you?"

Do any of you do this? Or do you have a clever answer? My in laws told my husband it was a great crib and it is still made today...when I asked what kind it was, they said, "JENNY LIND." I asked who manufactured it and they have no idea!

Maybe I can get by with the pack and play at Grandma's house? Or never go there until we no longer need a crib???

amp
08-20-2004, 11:42 AM
This is sticky because they are your inlaws and they will probably get mad...BUT you have to be firm. That crib is too old to be safe. You and your husband (preferably him) have to find a way to just put your foot down and say NO, we will not be using that crib.

A Pack N Play (PNP) is the perfect solution. It is the very thing we use when we travel. Plus, when DS was a newborn, he napped in it daily downstairs. That helped me avoid having to climb stairs all day long, especially following a C-Section.

Anyway, stick to your guns. You're the mama and you have to do what is safest and best for your child. Safety standards have changed a LOT since that crib was made. Good luck!

ETA: I forgot to say that, as you appear to know already, Jenny Lind is a style, not a brand or manufacturer. Just because it is in the Jenny Lind style, which they DO still make, doesn't mean the slats and corners, etc. fit all the safety standards. I'm sure that it's got safety hazards galore! Just my 2 cents.

Jilly Bean
08-20-2004, 03:03 PM
I would take the PNP to Grandma's house and just say that your baby would be more comfortable in it because he/she is used to it....even if that is not exactly true. Just act like it is no big deal and no problem for you to bring the PNP. If they persist with the crib, then I would put my foot down.

My mother had a 40-year-old crib, and when my sister had her first child 7 years ago, she informed my mother that the crib was not safe and did not meet safety requirements. My mother threw the crib away and bought a cheap one from BRU. Even the cheap ones meet the safety standards now.

Of course, you will hear the comments about "how did our children survive 30 years ago in an unsafe crib". I have heard comments similar to that from my in-laws when I tell them that I can't eat certain foods being pregnant. ("How did we ever have healthy babies eating those foods", etc.) I would just ignore them or laugh at them. Some more 2 cents for you!

amp
08-20-2004, 03:09 PM
>I would take the PNP to Grandma's house and just say that
>your baby would be more comfortable in it because he/she is
>used to it....even if that is not exactly true. Just act like
>it is no big deal and no problem for you to bring the PNP. If
>they persist with the crib, then I would put my foot down.

Very good suggestion and probably what I would have said if this had been an issue for me. Good idea!