PDA

View Full Version : Mattress Pad for the Colgate?

Laela
08-24-2004, 12:01 PM
I distinctly remember reading in BB that it is not necessary to use a mattress pad - and maybe even that you should not - for the baby's crib. But when my in-laws came over and felt how firm the Colgate mattress was, they kept saying "Poor baby! He has to sleep on that? Get a mattress pad!"

So now I'm confused.

Does anyone use the Colgate mattress without a pad? Is it comfortable for the baby?

Thanks for any advice.

C99
08-24-2004, 02:09 PM
I know that it's crazy to think that a baby would be comfortable on that hard piece of foam, but you have to remember that babies are not used to anything. They have no conditioning or experience like adults have had over 25+ years of living and sleeping. I know some babies that will fall asleep on the floor if they are tired.

My baby went from sleeping with us on our spring mattress to sleeping on the crib mattress without much of a problem (related to the firmness of the mattress, at any rate). And also: it's really not that uncomfortable. During the transition to the crib, I slept with him once or twice on the mattress (outside of the crib, of course) and it's not that bad. A mattress pad won't do much to "soften" the firmness of the mattress. We use one really only because it keeps the sheet from sliding around as much. (Although I should tell you Nate didn't sleep in the crib as an infant either.) And when it's in the wash, it's absence doesn't seem to affect Nate's sleep.

C99
08-24-2004, 02:10 PM
dp

HallsofVA
08-29-2004, 11:46 PM
I use a mattress pad with the Colgate. Partly for an extra layer of hygeine between him and the mattress pad, and partly for comfort. I originally purchased the $13 mattress pad from BRU, but it has a vinyl/plastic layer in it for the waterproofing, and it made my son sweat way too much. I've been using the Lands End crib mattress pad for several months now, and really love it. It fits the mattress well, stays on tight, and provides a nice layer under the sheet.