PDA

View Full Version : Kolcraft vs. Colgate Foam Mattress--AGAIN

shburks
09-01-2004, 11:13 AM
I know this has been talked about ad nauseum on here, but I have another question! Being a very short parent (5'0"), having a light mattress will be very important. Unfortunately, there are no stores in my area that carry the Colgate mattresses, so if I buy one, I'll have to purchase on-line without being able to try it out.

Basically, I want to know how the firmness of the Kolcraft (Target) compares to the Colgate--say the Classica I. I love how light the Kolcraft is, but I also don't want it to be too soft--fear of SIDS.

TIA,

Susan

bettyboop
09-14-2004, 06:30 PM
When shopping, I compared both at the same time. There is really no comparison. The Classica I is MUCH MUCH firmer. I was also concerned about SIDS. My Doc told me to buy a mattress that would be "too firm for me to sleep on" for the safety of the baby and developing bones. My baby sleeps very well on the Classica mattress. The mattress also fits nicely in the crib.

I dont know about purchasing the Colgate online as far as whom to recommend, but I am sure that others could tell you who to use.

Betty

vdrake71
09-15-2004, 02:41 PM
I bought the Kolcraft and love it. It is very firm. I almost think it is too firm especially when I lay my DS to sleep.

Other great things about this mattress is the price. Since the price was so low I was able to buy this mattress for my MIL and for my mother (who watchs my son). I realized all the work/research that I was doing for my house I also needed to include for my family since my DS is with them all day.

lenad
09-16-2004, 12:30 AM
Hi, I looked at the Kolcraft in the store, and could definitely press it in easily. Then I bought Colgate Supreme (one side firm, one slightly softer). Colgate is *hard.* My husband thinks the firm side is too firm, and I would too if I hadn't read all recommendations and posts which convinced me babies sleep just fine on such hard surfaces (I am due in a week, so I haven't actually tested it out yet). Supreme (with one side softer) is $20 more than Classica I, and I liked the option of turning it over if I think she is uncomfortable.

I ordered it from www.kidsurplus.com, they shipped it for free, it arrived quickly, well wrapped and all.

LD

steph2003
09-16-2004, 03:02 PM
I really didn't compare the two but when I saw the Kolcraft in person & realized how light it was (not to mention cheap!), there was no question & I don't regret my decision at all. I hate having to change the crib sheets & I really don't know how I'd do it with a heavier mattress. I think the Kolcraft is plenty firm in my opinion to prevent any SIDS concerns. The Kolcraft is definitely not like an adult mattress & the furthest thing from my own pillow top mattress I have on my bed. My DS doesn't "sink" down into his Kolcraft mattress at all.

sdbc
09-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Ditto Steph.

Aurora doesn't sink into the Kolcraft at all. We are happy with it. It is very firm.