PDA

View Full Version : IKEA cribs and baby furniture

millie_noodle
09-08-2004, 08:04 PM
Hi everyone - have any of you checked out IKEA baby products? My mother-in-law mentioned that the cribs are cute, but I have my reservations. I haven't been able to get to an IKEA, but the furniture can sometimes be a bit shoddy (mattresses, couches,etc.) Any thoughts will be very appreciated!

C99
09-08-2004, 10:00 PM
With IKEA stuff, it really depends on the piece and to some extent, the price. I've bought several pieces of furniture at IKEA over the years and all of it has held up well, although much of it we sold when we moved halfway across the country. We actually just bought a mattress (for us) and a crib/toddler bed last week. The mattress is divine. I didn't like the crib mattress, however, so I didn't get it. We haven't set up the crib/toddler bed yet, so I can't comment on that.

My best friend bought both of her kids' cribs and all of their "case pieces" (short dresser, armoire, changing top, bookshelf, toy box) at IKEA and they've all held up really well. Her oldest child is 3.5.

Anyway, I guess the point is really to go look before you make a decision. The kids' stuff is really cute and very inexpensive. I don't think it's meant to last forever (which is good if you need an excuse to get new furniture), but it does seem to wear well. We have had 3 Trofast units since 2000 and they're all in like-new condition, despite being used for various things -- papers, computer cables, and baby diapers!

SissyTone
09-11-2004, 12:44 AM
We didn't get our crib or mattress at IKEA, but we got the VISDALEN armoire, nightstand, and bookshelf with changing table top. We have been thrilled with them! You can see them online. The changing table is our favorite... it's square instead of long, and the "business" end of the baby is facing you (which could be good or bad, I suppose :) )

I agree with the PP that you have to shop carefully at IKEA. Some things are crap, others are diamonds in the rough! We got our king size mattress there 2 years ago, and love it.

kijip
09-11-2004, 01:03 AM
More of the same- we have had great luck and not so great luck with Ikea. For Toby we have the cheapest wood crip they sell (Gulliver?) at Grandma (who is babysitter several times a week) and it is GREAT! And we bought it used! I am sure that we will be able to use it with another baby too.

As for mattresses I bought a bed there 5 years ago and my mattress is still the most comfortable bed I have ever used or tested. My friends sit on my bed and beg me to give it to them.

Other IKEA things have fallen apart quickly. They seem to have fewer baby options than before. One great thing about it is that there are not alot of moving parts on Ikea cribs which may make it easier to last...

novemberbaby
09-14-2004, 04:05 PM
I have purchased numerous items from Ikea, dating back to the beginning of their stores in the US, and all of it held up really well. When I started HS in 1990, my parents purchased for me a complete bedroom set which lasted me until after graduate school (12 years) Then I purchased another bedroom set after I moved out, which also has held up since 2002, no problems, except I hate the matress I bought for my full size bed. When I got married last year, we also purchased another bedroom set for our guest bedroom, and it looks just like it did the first day I purchsed it!

I did look at their cribs though, and I didn't like them. Sturdy yes, but they didn't have a drop side (not a big deal) but they only had 2 different positions for the mattress. I do like their MAMMUT series of children's furniture - it is bright and cheery! If my current furniture does not arrive in time (I purchased from forever mine) I will be buying the IKEA MAMMUT line, and a seperate crib.