PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? - used crib

angiesmom2004
09-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Hi All,

I'm trying this again and hoping that it will make more sense now that dd is not on my lap trying to "help" me type!

I just bought a used ChildCraft crib for dc#2 (we just found out we're expecting next May '05) that is about 7 yrs old.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13096.jpg

It has never been recalled and was used for 2 children. I measured the space between the slats and it is about 2 1/4". I don't know what elsed to look for, but a friend thinks the crib is too old to use and is probably unsafe.

Obviously I'd never intentionally put my child in danger, but this crib seems solid. I don't think crib safety guidelines have changed in the past 7 yrs. (?)

So...

Does anyone have this crib? Any comments? Problems?

Would you use a used crib?

Has anyone used a crib for more than 7 years?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hope this makes sense!! Thanks!

vdrake71
09-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Q1 - Sorry, I do not have this crib.
Q2 - I would use a used crib if it followed the safety recommendations. I did buy a new crib, but I am looking to borrow one for #2
Q3 - The crib I have is less than 1 year old

shindagrl
09-16-2004, 03:52 AM
Here are the current safety standards, as copied from the JPMA website:

" Remember to ALWAYS keep the drop side up when baby is in the crib.
NEVER place your crib near windows, draperies, blinds or wall mounted decorative accessories with long cords
Make sure there are no missing, loose, broken or improperly installed screws, brackets or other hardware on the crib or the mattress support.
Crib slats or spindles should be spaced no more than 2 3/8” apart, and none should be loose or missing.
Never use a crib with corner posts over 1/16 of an inch above the end panels (unless they’re over 16” high for a canopy). Babies can strangle if their clothes become caught on corner posts. These should be unscrewed or sawed off, and the remaining end panel should be sanded smooth.
The crib mattress should fit snugly with no more than two fingers width between the edge of the mattress and the crib side. Otherwise, baby can get trapped between the mattress and the side of the crib.
No cutout areas on the headboard or footboard so baby’s head cannot get trapped.
No cracked or peeling paint.
No splinters or rough edges.
Look for the JPMA Certification Seal."

Here's the link if you need more info:
http://www.jpma.org/consumer/JPMASafetyHouse/Con_safetyhouse_bedroom.htm#cribs

HTH!

bostonsmama
09-16-2004, 10:30 PM
I also plan on using a previously owned crib for my child. I have a 2000 model of a popular Pali crib. After thoroughly inspecting it and having a chat with my friend (the previous owner) as to its use and abuse, I decided to keep it. Here's what I did to confirm the safety of my decision:

*I called the manufacturer to see if any safety modifications had been made to the model in recent years, and if there were any recalls (none for me).
*I double checked and had all the necessary parts (screws/wheels/nuts/bolts/rails) to assemble and disassemble it.
*I inspected the frame for any chips, dents, scratches, wear.
*I ordered a replacement instruction/assembly manual.
*I cross-referenced new crib saftey objectives with features of my crib...all of which meet current criteria.

And, since I plan on having at least two children (spaced approx. 3 years apart), I know I'll be using the crib with confidence for the next 6 years...which will make the crib over 10 years old.

In your case, you've picked a good crib to use for the long-haul. ChildCraft received high ratings from the Fields in the BBbook. Its solidity and craftsmanship should last you many more years. Good luck.

toomanystrollers
09-16-2004, 11:00 PM
:) Well with our last little one here, we'll be approaching 7 years with our very first crib. As for used cribs, Yes - we have one at Gramma's house that is probably 15 years old (a family hand-me down). We checked the slat measurements, tightened all screws, and purchased a new mattress.

HTH and congratulations!

verrine
09-22-2004, 06:53 AM
We just got a used crib for free :) . It is less than 3 years old. I know the recommendations are to buy new for cribs, car seats etc, but it seems ridiculous to spend that much money on stuff you will only use for a little while. Besides, new things could get recalled, whereas you know whether slightly older ones have already been field-tested safely by thousands of parents. If you'd had several children a few years apart each, you'd still be using a lot of the same things.

Have someone who is very mechanically inclined look over the whole thing carefully. I trust my DH on this, but not myself or my dad. Congratulations on your pregnancy!