PDA

View Full Version : Pottery Barn Dana Glider - Does anyone have one, comments?

ptfriday
09-20-2004, 08:07 PM
Hi,

We are looking for a glider and would like to look for something that looks a little different than your basic wood glider. Anyone have the Pottery Barn Dana Glider? Any pros or cons?

Thanks,

Penny

bostonsmama
09-24-2004, 02:02 AM
I had the good fortune to test out the Dana Glider at an actual Pottery Barn Kids store in Atlanta, GA. Let me just say that I was NOT impressed. In fact, I was annoyed. The cushions were okay, a little thin, a little firm. The gliding was rather shallow. The top of the back of the chair hit at my neck, which made it quite uncomfortable and not so relaxing, but that might just be me (5'7" w/ long-ish torso). What was ***MOST*** annoying, though, was the arm pads. They twisted around and slipped to the bottom everytime I rested my elbows on them. Does that make sense? Look at the picture, they are attached like a heavy towel on a rolling towel bar...the cushion top slipped down to the sides anytime there was pressure applied (can you imagine what this would be like with a baby in your arms?)...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Pottery Barn Kids and their merchandise...but this chair was NOT a winner. And for the price (EEK!), you could get yourself a tried-and-true Dutailier that glides, locks, and reclines...maybe even with a matching ottoman and FREE shipping. I'm sorry, but I would be super upset if spent $650 (plus $50-$100 shipping) on a chair that drove me nuts.

Alternative: I did like the Lullaby Rocker a lot. It was SOOOO comfortable. I imagine if you're even looking at the Dana that you have $600 to spend, so what's $300 more? The Pink or Green French Rose is beautiful and so sink-in comfortable. It's not a glider, but the rocker feet provide such a lovely motion that it nearly put me to sleep. HTH! Good luck on your purchase.

lmarcam
10-06-2004, 04:13 PM
If you want a similar-looking Dutailer, check out models 9290 (available on baby catalog.com) and 11950 (available on rocking-chairs.com). Both have sleek boxy cushions rather than the overstuffed cushions that are on the other Dutailer models. I just purchased the 9290 for $350. It's a special order, so you could get fabric that approximates the Pottery Barn glider, and there is a choice of 8 finishes.

CarrieMaro
10-13-2004, 11:28 PM
When looking for a chair for nursing, I was pretty turned off by the look of a glider -- until I saw the one at Pottery Barn Kids. So pretty and "fresh" looking in white. When I sat in it, however, I was really disappointed -- along the same lines as the previous poster. I decided instead to go for a Dutalier in white. The 9769 is a similar looking model, but nicer (with wainscotting that covers the mechanism) and less expensive. It also locks and reclines. I got it with a blue and white gingham fabric and just love it. The differenced in the comfort of the two is really apparent. I think you'd be so much happier with a Dutalier.

Still waiting for our little one to arrive (due today!) and can't wait to nurse him in our comfy new chair.