PDA

View Full Version : Any problems with the Colgate Clasica foam mattress?

jillraeann
09-28-2004, 12:34 PM
We bought the Colgate foam mattress and with our Sorelle crib it seems SO snug in there. It actually makes the side rail difficult to slide up/down. We do not yet have a mattress pad on either. The mattress seems so hard but I know it is rated excellent by CR and SIDS foundation. It just feels like a brick to me. Does any one have any other feedback or experince with this?

Jill

Thanksgiving Baby

pittsburghgirl
09-28-2004, 02:59 PM
We don't have the problem with the slide rail being hard to slide up/down so I don't have any ideas there, except that the mattress SHOULD be a pretty tight fit. I can speak to the firmness... our DS doesn't mind at all. (I read tons of feedback on this mattress before buying, some people said their babies hated it, but it seemed to me to *mostly* be people who coslept or had a softer mattress in a bassinet before transitioning to the crib.) We started out DS in the bassinet part of his pack n play (not too soft there) and then went into the crib at about a month. We got a Lands End mattress pad and that adds a tiny bit of softness to it.

BTW, DS does most of his practicing of new skills in the crib. He figured out how to get in sitting position in there one morning, and first figured out how to roll over as well. I think the firmness helps for that.

Marilee
mommy to James 8 months!

HallsofVA
09-29-2004, 11:56 PM
I agree with the previous poster. The mattress should fit very snugly for safety reasons, and it should be firm for SIDS reasons.

We have a Colgate Classica III mattress (it's dual-sided with one firm and one slightly less firm side) and a Sorelle Rosemary crib. We also use the Lands End Mattress pad under the sheet. It is a very snug fit, but there are absolutely no gaps between the mattress and the crib that I need to worry about. (Not even in the corners, which is a benefit of the square cornered foam mattress.) I find it helps to have sheets with elastic all the way around, because the act of reinserting the mattress in the crib after changing the sheet can cause the sheet to bunch up on the sides. Easily fixed though by pulling the sheet back down once it's in the crib.

We didn't have any difficultly with the mattress impacting the operation of the crib rail when the mattress was in the top or middle position. I'll be honest and say that with the mattress in the lowest position, it is a bit harder to get the crib rail to release because of the mattress being right at the part that you push in with your knee. A little extra pressure seems to do the job, though, without too much effort.