PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a Portable Crib?

mckwvu
10-03-2004, 01:04 AM
My husband and I are expecting our first child in February. Right now, we live in a one bedroom apartment and don't plan on moving until about 6 months after the baby is born (we live in L.A. and can't afford to move). We are trying to figure out what kind of crib to get. We don't have a lot of room and thought maybe a portable crib was the best option. I am not sure about the Pack N Plays because I can't imagine my baby sleeping so close to the ground.

Should we get a portable crib? There aren't a lot to choose from and they look so flimsy.....Are there are any cribs that are "full-size" but less big than standard cribs? Is a Pack N Play really the best option?

We are at a loss for what to do....

HannaAddict
10-03-2004, 02:11 AM
I would definitely get a portable crib. We bought a beautiful Ragazzi crib in buttercream when I was pregnant (my husband actually bought it while I was at work)! Even with a great Colgate mattress but our son hasn't spent the night in it yet! It is primarily a baby containment/entertainment crib (mobile, aquarium, etc.). Our son sleeps in our room, first in his pram as we couldn't get a co-sleeper before leaving the hospital, now in a white metal portable crib from babiesrus. We had intended to use the deluxe pack n play w/ bassinet but when we actually set it up it seemed flimsy and was just a hammock type bassinet (netting to hold it) and not firm enough. We tried to buy a wooden portable crib but they were never in stock. After reading many positive reviews on babiesrus.com and Target.com for the white metal crib (Cosco) we bought it ($80).

We've been pleasantly surprised. It is sturdy, not flimsy but can be rolled around easily if needed. It is a great size for him (he's a large 6 mos old) and fits next to our bed. The mattress can be in 2 positions, for when he's bigger and standing up. The mattress it comes with was firm enough that we didn't need a "better" mattress and use the one included. (The wooden Delta portable cribs we originally wanted had terrible mattresses so we had purchased a nicer mattress thinking we would need it.) We bought a little gingham dust ruffle from Carasouel Designs at babybedding.com (as recommended in BBBook) so it looks "cute" and not so stark. It fits pack n play size sheets. We bought a sheet from Carasouel too and ordered a couple of soft cotton sheets from a woman making them off the baby bargains board where they cover the whole mattress and snap closed. Love them. I would save some money up front and get a portable crib. Sorry if too long and too much info!

houseof3boys
10-03-2004, 10:21 AM
In a PNP, you should get the one with a bassinette so they actually sleep near the top. Here is a pic that shows it better than I am explaining:

http://www.netkidswear.com/nurtimpacnpl.html

The part under the bear mobile (you can take this off if you don't like it) is the bassinette part about 7 inches from the top of the main unit. You can see the bottom through the mesh in the picture. The changing table might be handy for you to use as well. We used this in our bedroom for about 3 months after our baby was born and we still use this same PNP when we travel now and Ryan comfortably sleeps on the bottom and he is almost 16 months old. It was money well spent! It has been a ball pit for us in the living room and a place to park him when he outgrew the bouncer when we took a shower.

If you do a search for PNP with bassinette's you'll find tons of info since there are lots of people using this option. Good luck!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/14225.jpg

TahliasMom
10-05-2004, 12:52 AM
We used a PNP with a 3/4 bassinet like pictured in the posting above until our daughter was also 3 months and we moved to her own room/crib. It's also been great for traveling to Grandma's house/camping and not worrying about having a place DD to sleep in. Plus now that our DD is almost 5, we use it in the living room as her playground. Keeps her safe when she's rolling around and keeps her away from the cats.
Personally, a PNP is a better investment because you can get a lot more miles out of it.
Another option might be a moses basket but those are very pricey and by the time you buy the stand, you're looking at $200 and you'll be lucky if you get 3 months use out of it.
good luck
Katherine