PDA

View Full Version : Do you regret not purchasing an ottoman?

Rebecca101
10-12-2004, 12:59 AM
I'm considering buying a Dutailier glider and because they are a little more pricey than some others I've seen, I'm wondering if I don't get the matching ottoman if I'll regret it. Thanks for your advice!

pittsburghgirl
10-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Well, we DID get the ottoman (DH wanted it). We could have done without it, although it was great for me at the end of my pg when I ended up sleeping in the glider for a few hours every night after waking at 3:30 am uncomfortable; and also napping in it with DS in the early weeks after he was born. (Note: we have the reclining glider, if it didn't recline, the ottoman would not have helped!)

If you are getting the regular glider (no recline) you probably don't need the ottoman. I had a little $25 nursing stool which I used with our other Dutalier (which we've had for years) downstairs which worked just fine.

Marilee
mommy to James 8 months!

smiliedds
10-12-2004, 04:05 PM
I would suggest trying it out at a store (BRU perhaps, since there's never any sales around!). I bought mine with an ottoman at an outlet store (Sears) but didn't think of getting it originally due to the price. Well, I am glad that I got the ottomon because I caught myself trying to use the glider without the ottomon and always end up with my feet back on it! When you try it, make sure you just keep gliding without moving much as if you have a sleeping baby in your arms. And try it for more than a couple of minutes! First try it with the ottomon and then take your feet of it and keep gliding.

On the other hand, you can always get the ottomon afterwards if you are still not convinced that you need it :)

Rebecca

ncmommy
10-12-2004, 04:25 PM
We skipped the ottoman - mostly for the same reason you mentioned...we got the Dutailier that reclines and spent WAY more than DH wanted to. You will want some way to put your feet up...I bought a simple unfinished stool at a craft store for $5. I often wished I had just gone ahead and bought the ottoman. You can do without it, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably get it. Just my opinion - it is a rediculous amount of money, but you will be glad to have a super comfy place to hold baby at 3 AM every night. If we have baby #2, I'm getting the ottoman!!

HannaAddict
10-13-2004, 01:24 AM
We purchased the ottoman but don't use it. We didn't get the recliner but the ottoman didn't work very well for breast feeding. What I would definitely get is a Medela or some comparable brand of nursing stool. After 2 months of contortions, trying to use the ottoman, stiff back, etc. I bought a Medela nursing stool and can't believe what a huge difference it makes. How did I ever get by without it! That is what I would invest in. I use it for my feet when rocking too.

s7714
10-13-2004, 01:29 AM
We didn't buy the ottoman, because neither DH or I thought it was comfortable to use when trying it in the store. If you are (or intending on) nursing, the ottoman won't be comfortable when doing that anyway. I would recommend just going with a little nursing footstool instead, unless you really like the ottoman when you try it out in the store.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

Saartje
10-13-2004, 02:02 AM
I have a Dutailier reclining glider with ottoman, and I wouldn't be without it. I knew it would be expensive, and I told DH ahead of time that the glider was one baby thing we would not be looking at price on: however much it cost, it cost. I knew I'd be spending a LOT of time in it.

For me, the glider and ottoman have been worth every penny. Yes, I breastfeed, and for me the ottoman does work with that. I hear how well that works can have something to do with your height, though; shorter moms seem to need a nursing footstool (though even they may like the ottoman when rocking, but not nursing).

westchicagomom
10-13-2004, 03:07 AM
Nope - we have a Dutailier glider and didn't purchase the glider mostly because of space considerations. I got the medela nursing stool and that worked perfectly.

Rebecca101
10-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the info-I'll be sure to check out the Medela before I buy!

hannah
10-13-2004, 05:19 PM
I have the glider (which reclines) and the ottoman with the nursing foot stool. I use it every day (multiple times a day to nurse and rock my DD). At first I wasn't going to get either as I thought what am I going to do with the furniture once we are done using the nursery. But then my father convinced me that we needed a nice comfy place to nurse and rock. I don't know what I would do without the glidder or the ottoman. I think it's definitely worth the splurge.

soexcited
10-14-2004, 06:01 PM
I bought the ottoman even though I use the nursing stool for every feeding. My style of Dutailier glider was discontinued and so I wanted to make sure that I got the ottoman before it was unavailable. Even though I'm not the one using it now, my husband likes putting his feet on it when he's sitting in a different chair in the nursery. If he couldn't do that though, I wouldn't need the ottoman until I was finished nursing.

nupe
10-16-2004, 07:13 PM
We bought the glider + ottoman. Grandparents, DH, nanny have all found the ottoman quite useful. I use the Medela stool to nurse, but not with glider. I recommend the ottoman.

ErinMC
10-16-2004, 08:51 PM
I bought a glider and not the ottoman, because when I tried the ottoman/glider combo both at BRU and at a friend's house, I couldn't get comfortable. I didn't like my legs that high. I ended up buying the Medela nursing stool to use with my glider and 8 months later, I still use it every day for nursing DS. No regrets about not getting the ottoman.

Good luck with your decision! :-)