PDA

View Full Version : anyone have baby bargins book handy or knows about MDF and pine for cribs?

dedl
10-25-2004, 09:36 AM
I remember reading about MDF and pine in the baby bargins book as they relate to cribs but since I moved I can't find anything in my house. Can anyone help me with what it said or knows of the quaility of MDF and Pine for use in cribs?
Thank you

dedl
10-25-2004, 09:36 AM
I remember reading about MDF and pine in the baby bargins book as they relate to cribs but since I moved I can't find anything in my house. Can anyone help me with what it said or knows of the quaility of MDF and Pine for use in cribs?
Thank you

bostonsmama
10-25-2004, 07:33 PM
I don't know if the book definitively comes down on one side or another regarding pine and medium density fiberboard, but from a furniture standpoint, these are the two cheapest materials that can be used in manufacturing. MDF is a great wood substitute for light construction projects such as bookcase shelves, fireplace mantels, toy boxes, etc as it is relatively sturdy, light, and inexpensive. However, unless it's lining a drawer under the crib, or supporting a mattress, I don't think it belongs as a crib component. It warps easily, has almost NO water-resitance, breaks more easily, and is not durable for the long run, all poor qualities when you consider a baby's incessant drooling, teething on crib sides and lots of bowels movements! Pine is a pretty good wood, but it's soft and dents easily. Consider it the 24kt of gold...attractive and pure looking, but a little too soft and pliable for heavy use. It will do fine for a crib, but other woods such as beechwood, maple, & mahogany are best!