PDA

View Full Version : moses baskets -- are they useful??? opinions???

hobokengirl
10-26-2004, 01:56 PM
ive heard some people say theyre very useful -- and other say not to buy them....

opinions?

Momof3Labs
10-26-2004, 02:35 PM
We loved ours, but used it for a very short period of time (6 weeks or less) because he outgrew it so fast. It is nice to have a sleeping place that can be moved around the house, but you cannot carry the basket by the handles when baby is in it. So if you don't have room for a bassinet, this might be an option. But I wouldn't call it a necessity!

squimp
10-27-2004, 12:10 AM
I agree with Lori - if you are planning to get a bassinet, it's probably not necessary. But if not, it's nice to have something smaller, cozier and more mobile for baby to sleep in during the day before or in addition to the crib. We didn't get a Moses basket, we just used a rectangular basket lined with a blanket, which worked well for the first 2 months or so.

lenad
10-27-2004, 12:35 AM
I love mine. My daughter is 3.5wks old, and we use the basket to tote her around the house during the day (we do carry the basket using the handles: for the moment that is fine, I can see it potentially becoming a problem when she gets bigger and starts moving around).

The friend who gave me the basket had her 2 daughters sleep in it during the night, with the basket placed between her and her husband. We have a cradle, which though small and on wheels is not nearly as easily movable as is the moses basket.

LD

jayali
10-28-2004, 05:02 PM
I LOVED my moses basket and was very sad when our son outgrew his. We really "pushed the envelope" and used it until he was 3 months old. I kept my bassinett up our bedroom and used the moses basket down here on the first floor. Mostly it sat in the middle of the dining room table and on the floor in the family room, but I really loved it for trips to Grandma's and Aunties. We also used it on hotel visits - instead of hotel porta-cribs (yuck)! I would HIGHLY recommend one.

Enjoy

Chacha
10-28-2004, 06:44 PM
Question about MATTRESS in a Moses basket:

You know how they tell you that you shouldn't reuse crib mattresses because of SIDS? Does the same apply for Moses basket mattresses? I have a used one and have spent hours trying to find a replacement mattress, but no one carries them and I'm starting to think, what;s the big deal--I'll just use the used mattress. Or go buy a piece of foam and cut it into the right shape.

Is this unwise?

jayali
10-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Given that the mattress is just a thin piece of foam I would imagine that you can re-use it.

I never heard about re-using a crib mattress because of SIDS. What is the logic, do you know? Does everyone really buy a new mattress for each of their children? What do they do with their old mattresses?

andie16
10-29-2004, 02:38 PM
We received a Moses basket as a gift and only used it for her to sleep a few times. DD slept in her crib right from the beginning. Now that she is older we use the basket all the time-to store her toys. She also likes to climb into the basket and play in there sometimes. For us, it would not have been worth it to buy one, but I'm glad we have it because it's a cute way to store the toys and I think it will be nice for DD to use with her dolls as she gets older.

Andie and Daisy (9/23/03)

CiderLogan
11-05-2004, 01:47 PM
We did not have one. We used a bassinet in our bedroom in the early months, and we used the pack and play bassinet as a sleeping space in our family room. So we never really needed it. I had a friend, though, who used it as a place for her DS to sleep in the parents' bed. I thought that was a great idea because reaching over into the bassinet was sort of hard (up and over the side). It would be easier to reach into a basket in the bed. Plus, a moses basket has a life after newborns (toy storage, like a PP said), while the bassinet takes up quite a bit of space in DD's closet doing nothing!

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

pittsburghgirl
11-06-2004, 10:58 AM
I love the way Moses baskets look but my DS would probably have only fit in one for a week or so, he was very long at birth. It would have been a huge waste of $ for us. We borrowed a bassinett and only were able to use that for about a month. We got much more use out of the Pack n Play with the bassinett insert.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png