PDA

View Full Version : glider..do u need the ottoman?

happymom2b
11-02-2004, 07:45 PM
This is our first and I am considering purchasing a rocker/glider. I wasn't sure if I'd really get a lot of use out of it, but my friends keep saying, 'They're the best..get it!" Now I think we're going to get one, but am wondering if we need the matching ottoman. Some people tell me that the Medela nursing stool for $25 is better for nursing. What does everyone think?

tny915
11-03-2004, 12:31 AM
I spent many nights sleeping in my glider with the baby and occasionally still do, passed out after late night feedings. The ottoman and my glider's recline are lifesavers on those occasions. You'll spend so much time in that chair, I figure you might as well make sure you're comfy.

annasmom
11-03-2004, 11:24 AM
You know it really is amazing what you don't really "need" for a baby. You can get by with very little. That being said, my glider and ottoman were probably the best purchases I made. I bought an ottoman with a nursing stool attached for an extra $100, and have never used it! The ottoman is very comfortable and I never had a problem with it or need for the stool while nursing. Good luck!

ETA: I meant to say that I have never used the stool portion of the ottoman, I use the ottoman all the time.

vdrake71
11-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Since this is your first, I would recommend buying the glider with the ottoman. I bought both pieces and I am glad that I did. I do not use the ottoman every time that I nurse, but it is nice to have it avaiable when you want to use it. If you can afford it, I would say purchase it.

missmelis01
11-03-2004, 10:23 PM
I rarely used the ottoman, so I returned it and bought the nursing stool instead. I found the ottoman awkward to use when I was "gliding". I love the nursing stool.

If the glider you want comes with an ottoman, then I wouldn't stress. But if you have to purchase the ottoman separately, ask what the return policy is and give it a try! :-)

TahliasMom
11-03-2004, 11:55 PM
I bought both. I have the deluxe Shermag from Target and it came as a set. I also spent endless hours nursing in the glider and the ottoman makes it really comfy to glide back and forth. I suggest that you go to a store and try it out first that way you'll see if it's comfortable for you.
good luck
Katherine

aim
11-08-2004, 09:53 AM
You don't NEED it - though I would get the nursing stool if you are not getting it - I have the ottoman with nusing stool pullout and I love it - but then again my mom bought it for me - I don't know if I would have spent the money for it if I had been buying it - but I do like it a lot - and FWIW I would have sold almost anything to be able to get the glider

Amy
Bennett 1-14-04

aemeric
11-08-2004, 01:16 PM
We recently received our glider/ottoman and absolutely love it. Baby is not here yet, but I love coming home from work and putting up my swollen feet to relax. My feeling is to spend the extra money, your comfort is worth it! We also bought the nursing stool attachment for the ottoman, based on recommendations from friends. I'm not sure how necessary it is, but will find out soon!

April

iriebride
11-16-2004, 02:50 AM
When I was preggo, I went to BRU to test drive the glider with ottoman. I'm 5' 1" and it was way too awkward gliding with my short legs on the ottoman. So, I registered for the glider and the nursing stool instead. I was so lucky to receive them both as shower gifts. Both DH and I love it and still do!

Test it out for yourself. If cost isn't an issue, go for it!

Joyce

happymom2b
11-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Thanks for all of the advice! i've been out of the loop since i went into the hospital twice now for preterm labor..no baby yet though...still needs to cook a bit more. =)

bought the target shermag glider/ottoman the other day online..it's been shipped so i'm excited to receive it.

ali
34 weeks and change