PDA

View Full Version : Help! Another Glider/Rocker/Recliner Thread - This is TOUGH!

TDS1
12-27-2004, 12:16 AM
I thought purchasing the crib, stroller, infant seat etc was hard! However, choosing a rocker recliner has been the toughest part. It will also likely be the most expensive purchase. I have read through most of the threads here from the last 12 months, and have looked at BRU, Lazyboy, etc - but still haven't found the best answer. Plus, the Baby bargains book doesn't really address other options, mostly focuses on Dutailier/Shermag type. Here's where we are so far:
1) Definately want reclining feature
2) Don't really like the appearance of the Dutailier type as would like to use in another room eventually. And, with the cost of the reclining feature on this or the Shermag, it costs as much as most other chairs anyway.
3) Not super impressed with the Lazyboys and most are still quite expensive
4) Would prefer to spend under $500 if that is at all possible (and less if possible!)
5) I certainly like the look of the Little Castle - but do these actually recline? Also, aren't they very expensive??

Anyone have any suggestions for a tradional appearing chair that reclines and either rocks/glides in that price range? Would love to hear what everyone else is using or looked at.

CeciliasMom
12-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Hi there,

When we initially looked into buying a glider, all I could think/talk about was a Dutalier. I had it in my head that they were the best and that is all I would consider. So, off to BRU we went, I picked out a chair and had it special ordered with custom fabric (really, really cute bumble bee pattern). Well, BRU screwed it up so badly! For whatever reason, they ordered it on the "training" side of their computer system instead of the "business" side, so the chair and ottoman were never ordered. Two weeks before Cecilia was to come home I had no glider and BRU had about $300 of our money as I had been making payments each month on the order. We were none too pleased.

So, we needed a glider. We looked at the Dutalier models at Target and were not impressed...thin wood and my dh and I are not small people and they just didn't "fit"...so we stopped by a Lazyboy gallery and while I know you said that you didn't see anything you liked, we did buy one from there that we love and it will be useful in another room....this is the link to the chair we bought, only ours doesn't have the "rattan" below the arms and we bought it in the really soft sage colored chennile:

http://www.la-z-boy.com/ourfurniture/product.aspx?pid=13

We love this chair...and it was a "floor model" so we got a steal on it...after all the discounts, we got it for $225 and it was admittedly a $750 chair...

I know that we really struggled with the "glider" question...so I wish you luck!

Melly

DDowning
12-27-2004, 12:10 PM
I have the Little Castle Regal chair. It rocks and spins but doesn't recline; however, the back is low enough that if you were to prop your legs up on an ottoman that you get a pretty good recline/headrest for your head that makes you feel like you are reclining anyway. Much more comfortable than the Dutalier I have in DS's room. I ordered it from USA Baby and it came in 3 weeks - I paid $369+tax. Of course if you were to choose a more upgraded fabric, the price goes up as well. I believe their B line is the price of the chair + 10% and so forth from there. LC does have a recliner but I believe its in the $500+ range, again, depending on the fabric you choose. I chose a baseline fabric that goes good with my bedding and plan on having a slipcover made for use later on.
Hope that helps!

lindsrae
01-16-2005, 10:41 AM
We just bought a rocker/recliner at our local Sam's Club. We shopped at the JCPenney home store and found chairs we really liked, but not for a price we liked. We ended up paying $368. It is very comfy--I ended up falling asleep in it last night!

Baby #1 due 7-6-05

dknees
01-16-2005, 01:28 PM
We ended up ordering a Dutailier glider and ottoman. It was fully upholstered though, because I am NOT into the wood look. Also, we wanted something that we could use in our den after we no longer needed it for baby. It is also a reclining glider, which makes dh happy happy happy. I also like that the back on it is a little higher than some of the other upholstereds, because I am very tall and didn't like not being able to put my head back to rest.

Unfortunately, it was $$$$$$$. I think about $600, plus the ottoman, which puts it out of your budget range. But, we also got it at a specialty baby store, maybe you'd be able to find it cheaper somewhere else? You can check out dutailier's website at www.dutailier.com and see their upholstered styles.

Good luck to you!

TDS1
01-16-2005, 09:16 PM
We are still looking. The reclining Dutailier is too much I think. We have been looking at American Furniture Warehouse, which has lots of recliners, but not great quality (Most around $400 for a rocker/recliner). Amazing that some of the better furniture companies that make sofas/chairs (i.e. Century, Harden) do not make recliners. So we will be looking at more tomorrow!