PDA

View Full Version : Changing Table ?s

HHCs Mom
01-13-2005, 09:33 PM
DS is 9 months old and we've been using an antique piece of furniture as his changing table. This piece of furniture was DH's and now that DS is getting bigger and more active, we're thinking we should have just bought a real changing table before he was born.

The hutch/dressing table that matches our crib is too expensive (~$800) so we're looking at getting a cherry changing table that will match but not necessarily from the same brand as the crib.

My question is whether there is a weight limit on the less expensive changing tables? They look like they'd be kind of flimsy and not strong enough to hold a 9 month old that wants to roll around!

What brands do y'all recommend?

Kim
~ mama to a chunky monkey named Harrison ~ 4.6.04

tiapam
01-14-2005, 03:55 PM
We have the Classic changing table from PBK in espresso. It matches pretty well with our Bassett cherry furniture. We got it at the store. I don't see it in this color online. We are really happy with it, but our baby is only three months old. It does seem very sturdy though. At the time we bought it, it was on sale for $200. Of course, I had to buy the baskets and basket liners to go with it, which was not exactly cheap. I did try to track these baskets and liners on EBAY, but they never seemed to have the ones I wanted. Also, I thought I would get the honey baskets, but they didn't look right, so I wound up with espresso and the white scalloped liners.

HTH.

jillc
01-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Hi Kim,

My DD is just a few weeks older than your DS, and I can totally relate to the difficulty of trying to diaper a squirmy strong little babe who tries to roll & crawl away during diaper changes! I have been changing Abby on the floor in her room for the last few months, b/c it's just easier & I don't have to worry about her squirming & falling somehow. We have a large rug next to her changing table, so I just put a big waterproof pad on the rug each morning & keep it there for the day.

Doesn't exactly solve your problem, but it works. :)

Good luck.
Jill

SeekerMage
01-15-2005, 02:04 AM
Personally, I wouldnt even look into a changing table unless you intend to use it for the next one (if there is going to be). We intended to use the top of her dresser and used it all of a handful of times. We find it sooo much easier to change her ontop of our bed. Granted our bed is about waist height so it works out perfectly. But...changing on the floor or even the table also works just as well. As you mentioned, DS likes to roll around, bigger spaces are easier to work with vs. concerns about him falling off etc. Since you are using your dresser (or whatever peice of furniture) honestly, a changing table isnt going to be much different then what you already have (Im assuming its a dresser atleast, and in that case size wise its probably the same give or take a little). I would save the money and put it towards something else.

jayali
01-20-2005, 01:28 PM
I agree with pp about not investing in another changing table for your son. My son is a little younger than yours (5/11/04) and right before Christmas I was changing him on his changing table and literally in the blink of an eye he fell off. Luckily I was standing right there so I somewhat broke his fall. He still ended up with a little cut under his eye and a bump on his head. When I took him to the pediatrician to make sure he was OK, she told me to pack up the changing table. She said that most falls occur off of the table. So I am now either changing him in his crib (I keep one of the changing pads from a diaper bag handy) or on the floor. The changing table is now only used for storage. If you do decide to go with a table I would consider securing it to the wall so it can't tip.