PDA

View Full Version : How do I find out if a 7 year old crib is safe?

Valerie99
01-16-2005, 01:31 AM
A friend of my sister's offered to give them her old crib. The baby never slept in it, but it was bought 7 years ago. What should she look for in the crib to tell if it is safe or not, and how does she find out if it's ever been recalled? Also, they are giving her the mattress too, also 7 years old. Is it safe to use an older mattress? Thanks!

SashaBear
01-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Tell her to skip on the mattress. For all she know it could have a mice nest in the middle of it. YUCK!

To check for recalls you need at least the manufacturer's name and hopefully a model number. Then you need to search the net for the recall or just call the company and ask them about it.

Requirements:
Slats are 2 3/8inces apart or less
Slats are in good shape. NO missing of broken, splintered slats
No sharp of jagged edges
All screws adn bolts are there and still screw tightly
Corner posts are 1/16 inch high or less
No cutouts on the headboard or footboard
Drop-side works and cannot be done by child.

Hope that helps!

Starla
edd 3.28.05

angusmom
01-17-2005, 12:53 PM
I've heard that the easiest way to check the spacing on the crib slats is to take a soda can and see if you can push it between the bars. If the can wont go through, then the spacing is correct/safe. If the can does pass through, then definitely do not use the crib.

I'm sure a 7 year old mattress is "safe" but I cant see any reason you would WANT to use someone else's mattress that is that old. Mattresses are considered a personal item by many charities and they wont take donations of them because of the sanitary issues involved. I think just for sanitary reasons you'd be better of getting a new mattress.

amp
01-17-2005, 01:29 PM
You can also check the Consumer Products Safety Commission website.

http://www.consumer.gov/productsafety.htm