PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need an ottoman?

stephanie2377
01-21-2005, 12:35 PM
I finally picked out my 'dream glider'. It is a Dutailier that reclines with oak finish and a soft blue checked material. I hope that once we are done with it for our children, I can get it covered with a different material for our main home area.

I am debating about the ottoman. I have a Medela nursing stool that I plan on using when I nurse in the glider. Otherwise, I wonder if I would use an ottoman much! They are so expensive (close to half the price of the glider!).

I wondered if any of the rest of you have a glider and not an ottoman. If so, do you wish you had the ottoman? Or, if you already have an ottoman, do you use it as much as you thought you would?

I guess I can always order one later on. I really love this glider! DH and I are both fuller figured. This glider is wider, and is tall so our heads rest back easily on it. My son is due in 7 weeks, and I can't wait to have something to rock him in!!

I appreciate all thoughts and comments!
Stephanie
Tristan Walker due 3-8-05

nan
01-22-2005, 11:25 AM
I have an glider and no ottoman (Also Dutalier in a blue--LOVE it), which I got 4 years ago for my first. I would have to vote no ottoman, for a couple of reasons:
1.It's hard to nurse or feed in the glider with your feet up on the ottoman (I'm sure more flexible people don't have this problem, but there was no way I could do it). I think the Medela nursing stool will do it for you. I actually don't have any friends who really "used" the ottoman while nursing. That's not to say it's not nice to sit in the glider and glide away with your feet up, but it's an awfully expensive non-necessity.
2. We don't have space for the ottoman. Even if we had more space, sliding between the glider and an ottoman in the middle of the night would invite banged toes for us.

Good luck!

Nan

nan
01-22-2005, 11:25 AM
that's what I get for trying to use a laptop with a 2-year old ...

Canna
01-23-2005, 04:41 AM
My mom bought a glider for us and I was on the fence about the ottoman. However, I have REALLY enjoyed it. Our baby isn't due until next week, but I have been sitting in the glider and using the ottoman throughout my pregnancy and I love it.

We have our glider in our living room - not just in the baby's room where I think it would get much less use. DH and people that come to visit enjoy sitting in it and using the ottoman too. It is quite comfy...I've fallen asleep in it watching a movie.

I would recommend getting the ottoman, especially since you plan to use your glider for purposes other than just nursing.

lizajane
01-23-2005, 11:04 AM
i highly recommend the ottoman. the nursing stool will not glide with you, so you won't be able to glide as well when using the stool. (kinda guessing, because i haven't tried to use a stool myself.)

it is kinda uncomfortable to me to recline without having your feet up, and it faaaaaaabulous to recline and glide with your feet on the gliding ottoman, right in the perfect position. and when you child gets bigger (mine is 30lbs) i find it a lot easier to sit with my feet on the ottoman while rocking him than it is to sit with my feet straight down.

i know i am not being very articulate here... too much baby in my stomach right now. but in short, i LOVE my ottoman and i would CRY if anyone took it away from me.