PDA

View Full Version : The search for high quality inexpensive dressers

roger
01-28-2005, 09:25 PM
After researching and debating for weeks, the purchase of a nursery dresser was surprisingly by far the most difficult decision. We were able to get a well-built crib and a quality glider for reasonable prices, but even the top brand (e.g. Morgieau) dressers were noticeably inferior to bedroom furniture than we already own. We could not drop $500-$900 on a unit that did not seem solidly constructed. Only after we gave up on the idea of a combo dresser, did we start to find very high quality dressers at reasonable prices.

After weeks of research, we did find two manufacturers in particular make solid wood dressers in the US at bargain prices: Moosewood in Maine and Mobel in Indiana. After doing some comparison shopping at discounters in North Carolina, we were able to bargain the price of a Mobel Symmetry double dresser to $638.

http://www.mobelinc.com/symmetryyouth/dressers/doubledresser.html

This is a gorgeous and indestructible dresser that is in another league compared to combo dressers by Morigeau and the like---and for less money! It is also wider (54in) than a typical combo dresser and has the advantage of looking good in any bedroom in the house.

We ended up, however, buying a double dresser from Moosehead, which we were able to get for $747. (picture attached) The Moosehead is probably a half notch higher in quality than even the Mobel, but it is not quite as attractive. We went for it to match a natural-colored crib that was unreturnable because we bought it at half price at an outlet.

I urge everyone to check out these two impressive domestic furniture companies rather than falling for the inflated prices combo-dressers. And I urge Denise and Alan Fields to let future readers of Baby Bargains know about these models and the price inflation on combo dressers. One Caveat: Make sure you do some comparison shopping for the Mobel or Moosehead dressers, because your local furniture store is likely to try to charge you the list price for these ($850-900), but every one of them dropped at least $150 off when we said we found lower prices elsewhere.

Roger

Mobel: http://www.mobelinc.com/
Moosehead: http://www.mooseheadfurniture.com/

bostonsmama
01-30-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm sorry you couldn't find a better price for the dressers you were pricing out. I don't think I've ever paid list price for anything, though, so good for you for shopping around! The great thing about the Baby Bargains book is that it shows you some of the best options for saving money on nursery furniture: consignment stores, discounters, outlets, garage sales, internet coupons, and eBay. I got a solid wood, extremely well-built dresser from the Italian manufacturer, Pali, through eBay. It retails between $800 and $900, but I won it for $102.50 and picked it up myself from an auction house. It's only 4 years old and is in perfect condition. Patience is actually the best way to save $$$ (isn't that why God gave us 9 months to be pregnant??? :) ).

You do make a great suggestion, though. Sometimes the easiest way to save money is to go the non-baby route (like dog gates instead of baby gates, or home security video monitors instead of baby video monitors). But for many of us, we wouldn't want to let baby poop, pee, vomit, spitup, lotions, oils, snot and the such get on a really expensive, well made dresser that costs $700-$900...as it might not look so good after the toddler years when children take crayons to everything.

Best of luck and thanks for the tips! It's moms like you that keep the great Baby Bargains tips rolling!