PDA

View Full Version : Standard VS. Convertible Cribs

jjrochester
02-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Dear all,

My husband and I are looking for cribs for our first baby. We went to Baby R Us last night and saw some. However, we don't know whether just to buy a standard crib or cribs what is convertible, which usually costs about $200-$300 more. We are wondering if it make more sense to buy a convertible crib now so that we don't have to buy another bed when our son grows. I would like to get some ideas from you all and see how you feel about standard crib vs. convertible ones.

Thanks in advance.

jjrochester

amp
02-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Our crib is convertible, but was still one of the least expensive ones we could find with good quality. We would not neccesarily have paid more for the convertible option, but it came that way and I'm glad we have it as an option. FWIW, we bought our crib at USA Baby. It's the Sorrelle Nico and it cost about $250 on sale. The cheapest *sturdy* crib we found was $199, but they didn't have it in stock, so we went with this one and have been very happy with it. Keep looking and you'll find all different levels of quality. I would use cost, quality, style and convertability (is that a word) in my decision.

dknees
02-05-2005, 02:40 PM
I think decision depends on your lifestyle and needs. We went with a convertible crib, but since we experienced fertility problems and aren't sure we'd be able to afford to try for another baby, we figured this was the better option. If we were planning on having more than one child, getting just a crib might have been the way to go for us. We just didn't want to buy a piece of furniture that we'd never use again. Especially since the ones that seemed remotely sturdy were over $300 at the places where we were looking.

I think you should evaluate your curent and future needs, budget and then go with the option that's best for you........

nfowife
02-05-2005, 04:03 PM
We are going with a crib where you can use it as a toddler bed (one side comes off and there's a rail thing you can buy and add), but it doesn't become a headboard and footboard for the future or anything like that. We are having our first baby and plan to use the same nursery furniture for the next baby (or babies), so it wasn't essential for us to have a convertible. We figure, by the time we have the next one, this baby will be ready to transition to a regular bed (with the rails or whatever) and we'll buy big girl furniture for her then. And I figure, when I'm done having babies, after the last one is finished with the crib, I'll probably sell the whole nursery setup to someone anyhow.

NYSarah
02-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Our crib had a convertble option -- we passed on it when we realized that a nice wooden toddler bed cost less than the conversion kit cost! If you're looking at spending an extra $200-300, I'd take a look at toddler beds and see if you can find anything you like for less.

jennifer_r
02-11-2005, 09:50 PM
We have a crib that converts to a double bed. One of the main reasons we went that route was that we didn't want to purchase a bedroom set that went with the crib and then when our daughter is older not be able to find a bed that went with the rest of the bedroom set we purchased with the crib.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif[/url] 5 months and counting!

Jennamax
02-27-2005, 11:41 AM
We got a Ragazzi convertible when our son was born. We only plan on having one child, so we knew we wouldn't use the crib again after he outgrew it. The crib will turn into a very nice full-sized bed, and we can then add additional matching case pieces to it as he grows, from the same collection (nightstands, bookcase, desk, etc.).