PDA

View Full Version : cribs for newborn twins, co-sleeper?

magge
02-18-2005, 06:24 PM
I am 31 1/2 wks pregnant with twins, on bedrest for the last 8 weeks (6 in the hospital). Looks like I'll remain in the hospital until 34 wks, and am trying to research things on the web.

What do most of you with newborn twins do in terms of cribs, bassinet, co-sleeper, etc? Is it safe to have 2 babies in the same crib? I had seen a crib divider as well.

I was thinking of getting an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper and putting both babies in it for the beginning, as I likely will have a C-section, and plan on breastfeeding. Has anyone tried this?

For after the first few months, I was going to get cribs. Now I assume I need two, since they will eventually be too big to share one. I saw one website with special attached cribs for twins. Has anyone tried this, or do most just use 2 normal cribs?

Now in terms of which cribs..... I have thought about Pali, Bellini, and Sorelle. Do people have opinions? I like the drawer in a lot of these, as well as the conversion possibility.

Thanks,
SNM

Twins2000
02-18-2005, 07:53 PM
Hi,

It sounds as though your current situation is very similar to the one I had about 5 years ago. I started on bedrest in the hospital at 22 weeks, out one week, in for 8 more consecutive weeks, out for 2 weeks, in for 5 days, out 10 days, then I finally delivered. It was a very long and difficult road, but it was sooo worth it. My girls were born one day shy of 36 weeks. The only research for baby products I was able to do was by reading my Baby Bargains book, looking at a BRU catalog and calling a few places. As a result of not being able to physically see/touch and try out items, and not being able to speak to too many other moms, I really didn't care for a number of things I ended up getting (i.e, stroller, infant seat, et.). It's great that you have access to the internet!

As for cribs, my girls shared a crib for the first 3-4 months of their lives. It was great, because that way we had one crib upstairs in their room, and the other crib downstairs for during the day, and for a couple nights a week in the first couple months when we had a baby nurse (she stayed with them from 11pm-7am downstairs while we slept soundly in our bedroom upstairs). If possible, I would suggest that you try to get some help for when you and your twins go home (the longer you are on bedrest, the more deconditioned you will be) so that you get some decent nights of sleep. You will really, really need it!!! One of my OBs had twins herself, and told me that I would really need help (she was right!) that she felt it was much more difficult and she got much less sleep taking care of newborn twins than it was during her residency with 36 hour calls.

As for those Arm's Reach Co-Sleepers, Consumer Reports highly advises against using them - they feel that they are very unsafe! I wanted to breastfeed, but I was just sooo deconditioned and sooo tired (and it wasn't easy for the girls since they were a little premature), that I just pumped for about the first 6 weeks before going completely to formula. Also, I thought for sure too that I would have a C-Section, but no, both girls were head down and through the use of forceps for one, and a vacuum for the other, both were delivered vaginally.

As for which cribs, I can't really help you with that. I ended up getting my cribs (I don't even know who they were manufactured by) from my OB as her kids were 3 at that point and into beds. The cribs barely lasted through the use of my wild women, so I just recently purchased a real cheap one for my third baby-to-be (since this one really will be the last baby). I got the Delta Luv Jenny Lind crib since it got decent ratings by Consumer Reports and Baby Bargains.

I wish you all the best of luck and hope the next few weeks go by quickly for you!

Leslie

HappyBabies
02-18-2005, 08:30 PM
I didn't have twins, but I did have a co-sleeper when my 1st son was born. I found, especailly after having a c-section, that it was hard to lift him out of the co-sleeper, so I ended up putting him in between my dh and I and used the co-sleeper for magazines :)

magge
02-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Do you remember what version of Consumer Reports advised against the co-sleeper? I have the current version, and they talk about crib alternatives, and their description of a "cribette" sounds like a co-sleeper. The Baby Bargains book also talked about them, and I did not think they had any safety reservations. I'd just like to find out about any possible safety issues.

Has any one else had any experience with the Arm's Reach?

Thanks so much for your help,

SNM

Twins2000
02-20-2005, 08:04 PM
It was from May 2004, Page 42. The paragraph read:

"Other related products that concern us are beds that allow infants to sleep near their parents for bonding and nursing. The Bedside Co-Sleeper by Arm's Reach Concepts (not rated for this report), for example, attaches to an adult bed with belts. But it must be used with care so that the baby doesn't suffocate in adult bedding or become trapped between the Bedside Co-Sleeper and yours."

sarahs
02-23-2005, 10:28 AM
I have nine month old twin girls and here is what we did. I already had a Simmons crib from BRU that we used for ds, so we bought another identical one before the twins were born. However, neither twin slept in the crib until they were about 5 months old. They were both horrible sleepers.

They slept in the following places at night...pack n play, bassinette, our bed, and the bouncy seat. I nursed (and still am) so many nights they spent in our king sized bed with us. I considered getting the Arms Reach, but figured the pack n play beside the bed was essentially the same thing, and mine hated that.

Mine are now in separate rooms in their own cribs. One is a great sleeper and sleeps through the night, and the other is a horrible sleeper and spends most of the night nursing in our bed. I have them in separate rooms so they don't wake each other up, but I know many twins get used to the crying and sleep right through it.

If I had to do it all over again I would do the following. Get some Miracle Blankets for swaddling now so you have them when the babies come home. They work great and really help them sleep. Babies can't really move around for several months, but if they are swaddled, you won't have to worry about them being in the same crib and rolling on each other. I hear that many twins sleep better together. I would get two bassinettes with wheels to keep in my room. I only had one, but needed two! Mine really preferred the closed in feeling.

You will eventually need two cribs, so I'd get them now if possible. BRU gives a 10% twin discount on large ticket items. Research online and then send someone to pick up them up. Or just buy online. It will be even harder to shop once the twins arrive! Our cribs have enough room underneath that I can slide 3 large, clear plastic storage containers under each crib for clothes. I prefer this to a drawer, because I can fit so much more. I had extra long dust ruffles made to cover the boxes while the mattress was at the highest setting.

Hope this helps! Good luck to you and the twins!

Sarah

astuart
03-22-2005, 10:07 PM
I am hardly an expert, but my friend who is a twin and her sister who has twins, says that sleeping in the same 'space' is important for twins. Regardless of what that space - crib, co-sleeper, pack & play.

What caught my eye was the comment about the c-section and lifting the baby out of the co-sleeper. I TOTALLY AGREE... I thought it was just me. My daughter was 7 1/2 pounds and walked throughout my pregnancy... but when we got home, the hardest part was lifting her out of the co-sleeper.

Good luck! Be well... AKS