PDA

View Full Version : Versatile and affordable changing table

lindsrae
03-05-2005, 09:10 PM
I have been looking for a changing table, preferably the "tower" style, that is affordable and of good quality. I don't like the look of the traditional changing tables, mostly because I would like to use the piece of furniture past the diaper-changing stage! At our local baby stores, everything is very expensive but of good quality while the more "affordably" priced pieces are of questionable quality. Any help would be appreciated!

ellies mom
03-06-2005, 05:28 AM
I feel your pain about the quality affordability issue. We were going to go with a plain old dresser. I found one with the split top drawers, which I think would make it easier to get into one of the drawers for supplies. The one I picked out was actually unfinished. I was going to paint it match a twin bed in the nursery. We ended up getting such a good deal on a combo unit and hutch from BRU that we couldn't get as good a dresser for the same price.

C99
03-07-2005, 12:32 PM
We ended up attaching a padded changing piece to the top of our dresser. It worked really well for about 6-8 months, at which point we took off the top attachment and began using the dresser top for storage and changed my son on the floor or a bed.

angusmom
03-07-2005, 02:22 PM
You could check out the Beatrice changing tower/dresser by Storkcraft. It's sold on Target.com and eBay (and maybe in some of the larger Target Greatland or Super Targets). I seriously considered this item and had a conversation about it with someone else on these boards. She bought one and was satisfied with it.

Right now I'm leaning towards a $300 dresser from IKEA that I can attach a contoured changing pad on top. It's about 60-63" wide so that would give me plenty of room on either side of the 30-36" contoured pad for supplies and junk. Then I can remove the pad and have a regular dresser and not have spent a lot so I dont have to worry about it getting beat up and wear and tear.

I have a small-ish nursery, and I'm like you. I dont have room for extra furniture that wont be used for a long time.

Hope this helps!