PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have white nursery furniture but a natural wood glider?

jacquiro
04-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi. We're ordering white nursery furniture for our baby daughter (due this summer) but we're confused about what to do for a glider. I definitely think white wood would look better in the nursery for now, but we plan on having another baby in the next couple of years and we think a more natural wood would be easier to move into another nursery or another room in the house (color-wise). I'd just love to hear opinions from others before we make a mistake, as well as from anyone who has white furniture but a more natural wood color for a glider. Thanks.

MarisaSF
04-04-2005, 06:58 PM
I was going to reply and assure you that it's fine, but I guess it's just a personal preference.

My nursery furniture is white and my glider is (horrors! :o) a DARK wood with totally unmatching cushions; we had it in our LR for a year before creating the nursery. I may have the glider refinished to match the white someday, but it's not a huge priority. The rest of my nursery is cute!

My friend has white nursery furniture with a LIGHT wood glider and cushions that match her nursery, which looks quite nice!

In my case, I got my glider 2nd hand and got a great deal. As with most things, I say go for what will work best for you for the longest time. Keep in mind that you might just sell the glider too. Good luck!

smilla653
04-05-2005, 10:36 AM
We sort of went back and forth on just-wood versus just-white versus white-and-wood combination in general (not just glider v. other stuff), for the decor of our nursery.

We live in a vintage apt. with wood floors and white trim in the bedrooms, so there is already a wood/white thing going on.
We have an "antique white" (so, not even white-white) crib, a honey-colored armoire and dresser (from two different manufacturers, stained to match), a light-colored wood glider (borrowed) without an ottoman but with a white nursing stool. We have white bookshelves. Some art is framed in white, some in natural wood. It's really hard to describe...
you can check out photos in the "nursery" photo album on my blog,
www.kaisermichalski.com

What I like about having a combination is that things "go together" without looking like a matched set. Gives the appearance of furniture accumulated over time, rather than bought all at once. Everyone is different.... I'm just saying that ther eare those of us out there who PURPOSELY don't get everything in one color.

I'm really happy with our decision and I think a wooden glider would look great. You might also consider that many people love having their gliders in the living room, too. You'll be spending a lot of time in the glider and might want to be closer to where the "action" is!

jacquiro
04-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Thanks for your responses..your room looks great, btw! I'll be heading back to the furniture store tomorrow to figure out what to do.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
04-09-2005, 05:23 PM
We have white furniture with a dark wicker glider and it looks great. I would try to pick up the color of the glider in one other area of the room so it does not look like a mistake in a sea of white. (I agonized over this decision too!).

Susan
#1 Nick 11-18-04

Sarah1
04-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Hilde--

Your blog is awesome!

I enjoyed it!

I was just going to add that we bought a vintage white crib and a light wood glider w/neutral cushions. I have never thought anything clashed...I personally am not a fan of bedroom sets or stuff that matches too well. JMO.

jpfiff71
04-21-2005, 02:54 PM
With my first son, my crib, changing table and glider all came as a handme down from the same woman...all white. I bought a white dresser with natural top.

With my now 15mos old, I had to get a new crib (had problems with used one) and dresser since the dresser was going with my first. So I have the white gllider/ottoman, white changing table, used dark walnut coloered dresser and natural colored crib :) It actually doesn't look as bad as you would think. All are against different walls. I figure it's only for a short while, and when he goes to a bed I'll buy all new matching stuff.

smilla653
04-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Hey! Thanks for the blog/nursery praise. Both have been really fun baby-related projects.