PDA

View Full Version : Second crib at Grama's house

jjrochester
04-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Dear all,

We are looking for a second crib (portable would be the best since we might be travl as well) at Grama's house. We already have a Sorelle crib at home and are looking for a cheap but durable crib since I will be back to work and Grama will look after DS. Any good suggestion? How about the Cosco Portable Crib sold at babycenter.com? Any comments on this crib?

http://store.babycenter.com/product/nursery/cribs/6552

Thanks in advance!

jjrochester (boston)

hellokitty
04-26-2005, 01:46 PM
For the grandparents' house we just use a pack in play (graco). It doesn't take up much room and can fold up easily and in our opinion is very durable and less expensive than a portable crib. For grandma's house I would just get the cheapest PNP you can find, you don't need all the bells and whistles, these can be had for about $50 brand new at the store. Also, I would avoid a steel crib. I know that sometimes they do not sand down the metal very well, which can pose a risk to baby getting cut or scratched. They do have some wooden portable cribs, if that is really what you want.

MissyL11
04-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi,

My parents recently purchased this crib to keep at their house. My daughter did not sleep well in the pack n play. We have only used the crib once but it appears to be very durable. My daughter slept well in it. The only negative about this crib is that it is heavy. I think it weighs around 40 pounds. It does fold flat for storage which is nice. I hope this helps

Missy

jjrochester
04-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Dear Mags and Missy,
Thanks for your inputs.
We thought about Play N Pack as well, but I don't think the PNP can hold up a baby for sleeping when he reached 15 pbs, is that true? Our baby will stay at Grama's (3 days a week) until he becomes two. That's why we are struggling whether to buy a second crib at Grama's. Or do you know if there is any good products out there?

Thanks.
Ellyses

hellokitty
04-27-2005, 09:34 PM
The bassinett part of the PNP only goes to 15 lbs. However, after that, you remove the top net part and put the, "mattress" at the bottom of the PNP, and that should be able to accomodate a baby until he/she is 30 lbs. If you want more padding, I heard someone say they now make a padded mattress cover for the PNP. However, what we do is wrap a thin quilt around the mattress and it wedges in well into the bottom of the PNP, my son is 15 mo old and unable to pull out the quilt. It gives him a little extra padding, but is not too fluffy that we'd worry about sids/suffocation. If you feel more comfortable getting a crib from grandma's house, I think that you can go with something inexpensive from target or walmart and be ok. Technically, all cribs sold in the US need to pass certain safety stds, so they should all be safe, you probably don't need anything with a lot of frills and decoration. Good luck!

aguinn
05-05-2005, 12:29 PM
sorry i'm late to the game here, but just wanted to mention that my mom bought a used crib off of craigs list for her house. if you are not entirely picky about it being new, it could be "new to you" for much less money.

;)amy
proud momma to DS
and cutie #2 due 9/9/05 - it's a BOY! (now, will he make me wait that long or will he come earlier?)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030729/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

HannaAddict
05-05-2005, 01:16 PM
We've been very happy with the Cosco portable crib. I was very hesitant to get a metal crib (not as cute, worried about edges being rough) but the Cosco crib exceeded our expectations. We bought it locally so we could return it if we didn't like it, but bought it after reading very good reviews on babycenter and amazon/Target. I inspected it carefully and the metal was fine, no rough spots or anything like that. It is very sturdy and the mattress that came with it was firm and snug so I was able to return the Simmons mattress I bought. I like that it is a crib, versus having baby on the floor like a pack n play. While my son will sleep in a pack n play, he seems to prefer this crib as a second back-up crib. Maybe because of the nice mattress or being higher off the ground?

We originally used it for him in our room once he outgrew his pram/bassinet (approx. 4 months) and before he decided he liked his big crib (around 7 months). I would have had his stay in our room longer, but he slept better in his room. :( We bought a gingham dust ruffle from www.babybedding.com and matching sheet and it made the crib much "cuter." I originally wanted a smaller wood crib, they were out everywhere and now I am so glad we bought this instead. The Delta wood cribs were just recalled.

I think this is a nice choice if you don't want to use a pack n play and want something smaller than a full size crib.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04