PDA

View Full Version : Light fixtures??

marchmommy
05-23-2005, 10:59 PM
I need new light fixtures for my baby girl's room and my 2 year old DS (each room right now has one fixture, a 1950s one bulb light which is not bright enough.) I'd like something pretty for DD's room, something with a little pink, or with something with flowers or a butterfly, something fun and pretty. And for DS's room, something that gives a lot of light, and with a little blue (wow, i'm conventional!) and maybe trucks or train motif or just something that looks good. Any suggestions????????????????

daniele_ut
05-25-2005, 03:09 PM
I am having the same issue right now! I have bought and returned several floor lamps (not enough light and seem to be a safety issue to me since DS could tip one) and we have no where to put a table lamp to get enough light into the room. The existing ceiling fixture uses only 1 60w bulb! I'll be interested to see some responses.

tarabenet
05-25-2005, 04:37 PM
My SIL found the cutest flower ceiling fan with a light fixture that is the primary light in my niece's room. They put the light on a dimmer switch -- very practical! I've also seen cute boy-themed fans, or just solid colored ones, like blue. Or just check out light fixtures at your local home improvement store (or at a speciality lighting store). You may be surprised at the cute things you find, and you can choose one that uses more than a single bulb. There will be some minor re-wiring to do.

Does that help even a teeny?

marchmommy
05-26-2005, 03:19 AM
Yes, that does help a little! I was thinking to check out ceiling light fans, but then I started wondering, do I really need a fan in their rooms? What do you think? Is a fan useful to have, what with A/C and all? (and cold Chicago winters. . .) The speciality lighting stores I have been to don't have much in the store, I think I need to check catalogues they have, so I was wondering if anyone had any manufacturer suggestions. . .Oh-why do you think it's good to have the light on a dimmer?

tarabenet
05-26-2005, 08:33 AM
Around here (Texas) ceiling fans are pretty standard -- there's one in every room. You may not want that. I can't sleep under one on "medium" or "high" (and there may be a risk of Bell's Palsey). But on "low" they can have a great calming effect on a baby, just a big mobile. And they make a nice big decorative element. My SIL's giant flower came from Home Depot, I think. Maybe Lowe's.

A dimmer on the overhead light means you can put in a fixture with plenty of light, but not have to use all the light when you don't want it -- like late-night feedings, creeping in to take a peek without disturbing your little one, etc. Also, you can slowly dim the lights to help set the "you're getting verrrrry sleeeeeepy" mood!

Another thought: in my teen step-daughter's room, we draped moon-and-stars christmas lights over the curtain rod, as part of the window treatment. They plug in behind a dresser. They make a great soft light, with a magical feeling. Or you can tuck rope lights under shelves, too. If you put them under a shelf that is over the changing table, for instance, you have decorative lighting plus some help in a work area.

One important WARNING! Doing lights and fans is not hard, but it is NOT a safe job for a pregnant woman. You have to go up and down a ladder a lot, and you are working on a ladder, with your head tipped back and your arms overhead -- bad idea when your center of balance is already shifted!

entttc
05-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Our local bellini store has some wonderful ceramic chandeliers. we bought a froogy one for the nursery.

amp
05-26-2005, 01:16 PM
We need a ceiling fan in our bedrooms, so we're very happy with them.

As for picking something, I usually just make my 1st stop a place like Lowe's or Home Depot to see what they have. If I don't like what I see there, then I start branching out. But they do have a lot of nice stuff.