PDA

View Full Version : What to register for?

duesept05
05-30-2005, 02:19 PM
I am 24 weeks pregnant and need to actually start my registry. I've been lurking around here, and checking out books and websites and it's a bit overwhelming - especially because there is so much to choose from for each item. I tend to feel I need everything (because I don't want to be short) and then have too much of stuff. I also don't want to register for items I should just buy myself and not put on the registry...

I apologize for the long post :)

If you can give me a good rundown of items to register for (and preferred brands/styles if possible)that would be great! I will have two showers and want to have enough variety for people who wish to purchase a gift and utilize the registry...

I have several friends who have recently had children that loaned me a bunch of stuff and my mom was just down and bought more. This is what I have so far:

* Enough onesies to last me a long time! (Even if I had twins :)
* More than enough clothes for 0-3 months, and probably for 3-6 months as well
* Baby Bjorn (one for my husband and one for me)
* close and secure baby sleeper
* Travel bouncer
* Mini Co-sleeper and additional sheet
* Crib sheets
* Enough diapers for first 6 months
* Baby safe mirror (for car)
* towels/washcloths
* Booties/ hats/ socks/ t-shirts/
* Glider/Ottoman
* Crib
* High/Lo Combo Dresser with Hutch
* Gymini
* Door Jumper (don't know if I'll use this though)
* Graco Pack and Play
* Possibly will have a car seat and two bases (should I accept this as borrowed?)

* Possibly will have a Graco travel system car seat and stroller -- If I don't get this do you have recommendations on this? Also, I was thinking of also registering for a midsize stroller. Suggestions?

Thanks!

babystuffbuff
05-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Wow, it sounds like you have a super start! :)

I would only use the carseat if you absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt trust the people you are borrowing it from, and they will swear on a stack of Bibles that it has never been in an accident or been damaged in any way. I'm sorry to sounds so harsh, but this is one of the things I really am hard-line about. There is nothing more important than your child's safety. If you are sure about it, though, go ahead. :)

I realllllly don't like the Graco strollers. I have just heard too many horror stories about them falling apart after just a little while of normal use, and I have had a bad experience with a few myself. A great newborn-to-preschool stroller is the P3 by Peg Perego. It is pricier than the Graco models, but it is definitely worth it, and since you won't be needing as many other things, you can feel comfortable registering for it.

It sounds like you could also register for some clothes in bigger sizes, since you have so many little ones already. Even if people don't buy the exact things off your registry, they will (hopefully) see by the sizes that you have enough newborn things and that will steer them towards things for when the babe is a little older.

I would also say maybe a baby bath, a swing (the "open top" ones are great), and maybe some toys. If you are going to bottle-feed, you can register for your bottles, and even if you are going to breastfeed, it would be good to have a few bottles on hand for later, for sitters and the like. A lot of people like the Playtex nursers with the Natural Latch nipples. It is also nice to have a package of just the plain white Gerber cloth diapers around for burp cloths, rags, etc.

I know the experienced moms around here will have more suggestions. Like I said, you are off to a great start -- you are lucky to have so many good friends and such a wonderful mom to lend/buy you so many things!

Good luck!

Sarah

duesept05
05-30-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the info on Graco. I was leaning towards not using one, but figured if I could use it for the infant purpose that might be okay. I was looking at Perego - I really like there strollers and was thinking of registering for one of those. Do you know if the P3 has adjustable handles? I'm 5'6 and my DH is 6'3 :)

Also, someone mentioned that the Perego car seats may not be that great. Do you know if a Britax car seat would attach to a Perego stroller or if I should buy the same brand for the stroller and car seat.

thanks!

soontobemommy
05-31-2005, 10:26 AM
Hi there,
Wow you have a lot of stuff! You have a great head start! I think that's wonderful. I need to register soon too so been making a list! I only have a basinet and a swing from a friend so I have a long way to go.

On the car seat I agree with other poster about not getting used. I checked out the Graco travel system and personally didn't care for them. The car seat is good but the stroller was way too heavy and didn't steer well. I loved the Peg Perego PK3 with the car seat to go with it. Very easy to use and close. I am short though - 5'2" and loved it but didn't ask about the handles. The BB book did give the Peg carseat a good review though or I never would have looked into it. I will get that for the infant and a Britax when the baby is older.

If you like the Graco snugride car seat (and the BB book gave it a strong review) versus the Peg - see if you can find the Ingelisina Zippy stroller - you can use that car seat with it. I can't find that stroller here in CO but my friend has it and I've only heard great things about it.

Also some other things to register for - not sure if you want the Diaper Genie (or other diaper system) but that's a good one to register for. Bottle warmers, starter kits, a boppy if you will breastfeed. My friend suggested I buy certain things and not register for them (like diapers, washclothes, etc.) little things that you can get yourself.

Hope this helps - I am making my list too and deciding where to register. Probably Babies R Us and maybe a more speciality store as well.

Good luck!
Lauren

Brookesmom
05-31-2005, 10:58 AM
I have 2 kids (one infant, one 3 yrs). I registered at BRU both times. The truth is they have everything and the store is accessible to everyone! Only accept the stroller aand car seat if it is fairly new. A lot of the car seats now have a latch system which is a lot better then the old seat belt system. Also, check for recalls. Graco has had a lot of them recently.

Some other things to register for:
Sleepers - long sleeve/short sleeve depending in when baby is born
socks
crib sheets, pack n play sheets
cotton gauze diapers for feedings
regular diapers and wipes
Bathing essentials
swing
bouncy seat
infant books
Baby Whisperer Book (for you)- actually - should start reading now!
mobile
back to sleep positioner
some cute going out outfits (1 or 2)

Hope this is helpful!
Good luck and have a healthy preganacy.

goodnightmoon
05-31-2005, 11:31 AM
The 2005 P3 does have extending handles and comes with a strap that will accomodate other brands of car seats.

Laura
mommy to Eva Marie 2/16/05

goodnightmoon
05-31-2005, 11:33 AM
sorry, double post

Marcy_O
05-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Hey there! I am a brand new mom (as of Friday the 27th) and I can tell you what we've found to be INVALUABLE so far, and what I wish I had (and am sending husband out to get later today).

My Best Purchase and MVI (Most Valuable Item):
*I bought a kolcraft bassinet at a garage sale for 20.00, it is like brand new and I thought I'd maybe just use it at grandma's or here and there. But since we've come home from the hospital, I've used it constantly. It's easy to move around (He's sleeping in it right now as a matter of fact) and I can do a quick diaper change in it if I need to and the changing of the sheets is quick and easy. And he's comfy.

2nd MVI's
*cloth diapers (two packs will probably be good unless your baby is a spitter upper - but they're good to put under baby's head when in the bassinet or crib too)

*A sleep sack or sleeping gowns with sleeves that cover the hands. They keep baby warm at night and are easy to scrunch up for diaper changes in the middle of the night.

*100% cotton socks - their little feets get cold quick, and you can also use them on their hands when they get cold.

*A baby monitor with TWO receivers.

Is nice to have:
*A Boppy ( I bought the naked boppy and a slip cover and hopefully my Mother In Law can make other slipcovers off the pattern)

*A separate laundry basket designated for baby's room/clothes
I didn't even think of it until I got a basket for one of my showers and it has come in really handy. Especially in the middle of the night and you have a poopy blowout or a big bad spit up and don't want to toss whatever in with your clothes to wait to be washed. I rinse the clothes off and toss them in the basket and usually I have a small load to do by the end of the day or at the very least the next day. Like I said, I'm new, and a bit fussy about this kind of thing, but the extra basket is wonderful.

What I didn't get and need:
*A Bottle Brush to use only with bottles and breast pump (if you're nursing)

*A Nipple Brush or something of the like to really clean out the nipple

If you're nursing:
*lansinoh or some kind of nipple cream (or you can buy it now to start using to soften up your nipples - makes great lip balm and cuticle cream too - just a side note :)

*breast pads (I have both disposable and cotton, I don't prefer one over the other but everyone is different)

*A GOOD book on breast feeding (I have one that I'm reading that is pretty good if you want to know what it is email me off list) I know Le Leche league has a new one out...

*A bottle storage kit for your breast milk

*A manual pump like the Avent Isis - Even if you purchase the mercedes benz of breast pumps, it's good to have a back up.

*If you know you're having a boy, even though it seems funny, register for vaseline. You'll use it by the gobs if you have him circumsised (so he doesn't stick to the diaper). The hospital sent us home with 4 tubes and we have one left and still a few days to go before his circ is healed to a point where we don't need it.

Sorry for the length, I just saw your post and thought I could offer some advice from what I've learned these past few days. I'm just like you are. I thought I was prepared for it all, but it turns out I didn't have some of what I really needed and honestly, didn't really think of (like formula just incase breast feeding wasn't working out right away-baby still needs to eat!) I'm so excited for you! After having Brighton, I finally understand what people mean when they talk about the love they feel for their children. It's a totally different kind of love than you will have ever experienced and it can be a bit overwhelming at times, but in a good way.

Enjoy your little bundle of joy!!!

Hugs,
Marcy

KBecks
05-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Alek is 7 months old, here are a few ideas.

Stroller -- Kolcraft universal carseat carrier -- we loved ours, although we only used it for a few months

Stroller -- Peg Perego P3 -- I didn't use mine with our Graco infant seat, but if the 2005s come with a strap, that's good. The Kolcraft is awesome though -- great fold, very lightweight. The P3 is much bulkier, and I like having both. I didn't love the P3 at first but now love it.

High Chair -- we have a FP Healthy whatever, and I like it. On retrospect, we should have gotten the deluxe with the rolling casters.

Flannel Receiving blankets -- we had some that were larger than others and found we used the big ones all the time. Look for the largest size you can register for

Breast Pump -- I had one loaned, but it is good to have

Bottles -- just a small pack of 4oz bottles, I used Avent is good.

Diaper bag -- if you find one you like you can register

Feeding stuff -- a few baby spoons - I like Nuby and Take N Toss, Take N Toss snack cups, bibs (but I find dish towels the best bibs!)

Changing pad and 2 covers -- also some of those little waterproof pads or cloth diapers that you can put over your changing pad to protect it further, and have to wash it less.

Toys --
Symphony In Motion Mobile
Sassy bath letters (Alek has been teething on these)
Stacking cups
Wrist/ankle rattle set
Whatever else catches your eye

Baby book - for your memories
Baby books -- board books, etc.

Diaper pail -- we like our Dekor+ Get refills too.

Have fun!

melissaandkate
05-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Hi, I was just reading all of these replies, and there's some great stuff here!!

My daughter is four months old and it has been great!
I wanted to suggest a few things and mention that I got the Graco Metrolite stroller, and it has been great- lite enough and easy to fold into my trunk, and now she loves to go carseat-free for a stroll around the neighborhood. I actually got it online at babies R us (amazon)where there were more choices of fabric to match my carseat. It has ajustable handle for height.

The ideas about swing, larger baby clothes, changing mat, diapers for burp cloths, toys, boppy pillow, baby bath were all great. I have also needed the bottle warmer, a kit with baby brush and nail clippers, and a thermometer that has a quick timer (hard to wait for beep on squirmy baby!).

For you, (if breastfeeding)don't forget nursing bras (prob don't need to register for that!), I wore mine to the hospital...and I agree about the lanolin cream and breast pads!

Good luck and it sounds like you are getting a great start!
melissa and kate

melissaandkate
05-10-2006, 11:11 AM
oops, just realized this was last year!
sleep deprivation is something fun!!
hope it helps someone else!
melissa and kate

alissaspera
01-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Check out Consumer Reports for Car Seats. They have said that exactly two US models have passed all crash test safety tests performed. They are recalling the statement for side impact. I chose my stroller based on whether it would accomodate the recommended car seat carriers.

>
>Also, someone mentioned that the Perego car seats may not be
>that great. Do you know if a Britax car seat would attach to
>a Perego stroller or if I should buy the same brand for the
>stroller and car seat.
>
>thanks!

Nooknookmom
01-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Sorry but, do not go to CR for carseat info. they have retracted that article. Hop on over to our carseat board here there are alot of very wise Tech's over there that can help!

SnuggleBuggles
01-26-2007, 11:47 PM
The thing with just about every list out there is that they are written by people who stand to profit from selling you more stuff. So, some have gigantic lists of things that are of questionable usage.

Also, you will run into trouble hearing from veteran parents because one item I may not have found at all necessary or useful (like baby mittens) may be something someone else loved.

Another thing to consider is your lifestyle and what parenting choices you will make. If you are going to be a SAHM and breastfeed then you don't need all that much in the way of bottles. If you will WOHM and bf then you should check on the feeding board for pump recommendations. If you are going to exclusively bottle feed you will have to factor in how often you feel like doing dishes and such. You can get by with less of everything (clothes, bottles...) if you are going to be on top of laundry and dishes. But, if you want some wiggle room then you might want to buy more.

SOme items you really might want for baby on. Or at least buy/ register at places with good return policies.

What you need most is:
-A way for baby to ride in a car. Don't buy a used car seat b/c you won't know it's history or recall status. You can get either a convertible car seat or a infant carrier style one.

-Somewhere for baby to sleep. If you are co-sleeping then you are done. Just read over how to make your bed as safe as possible (eliminate fluffy bedding and pillows). A bassinet is very nice because some babies tend to prefer close spaces (they have been in the womb happily for quite awhile and it feels most secure). There are a lot of options. You do not need a bedding set so that can save you money. A good quality fitted sheet is all you need for baby's crib.

-A way to get around. Sling, stroller, front pack like a Baby Bjorn. Skimping in any of these categories isn't a good idea. Lower quality ones of these will leave you with a product that won't last as long and will have annoyances.

-Something to eat. If you are breastfeeding then you are all set. But, there are many products out there that can make bf'ing easier. Nursing pillows, lashinoh cream for sore nipples, gel filled disks that go in the fridge for sore nipples, breast pumps, breast pads...lots of stuff out there! For ff you need dif't bottles and nipples (you might need to experiment). Beyond that maybe someone can fill in the rest. You don't need a high chair or booster yet.

-Diapers. Call and get a cloth diaper service set up or pick out a package or 2 of disposables. Wipes and a changing pad at the very least are helpful. A changing table is nice to have, imo, but there are lots of conflicting opinions on this. I used my Pack N Play with changing table insert for downstairs and a $30 changing table from IKEA.

-Bathing- you can get a baby bathtub if you want or you could just use the sink. I love baby wash cloths. Before he was born I thought they were absurd. But I grew to love them. Baby wash is a good idea because it is gentler. Hooded towels are very handy and you can get by with 1-2.

-Things to keep baby happy- bouncy seat or swing. A mobile for the crib if you get one (Tiny Love Symphony in Motion is awesome!). Toys with contrasting colors like black/white/red though newborns really don't pay attention to toys.

-Recieving blankets are great because they can be used for tummy time, keeping baby warm in travels, small enough to fit into diaper bag.

-Clothes- a summer baby can get away with a lot of onesies. Kohl's has great sales about once every week or 2 on Carter's merchandise and that was always my favorite. Socks, a hat and some layering items and you should be set. I love gowns for them to sleep in. Easy to do diaper changes. Spring and fall babies- think layers. Stretchy pants over onesies and a matching sweater/ sweatshirt/ fleece. No shoes necessary and actually hard soled ones aren't so great for foot development. Ideal is barefoot, the rest is mainly for decoration (Robeez...). Laundry soap- just look for free and clear varieties rather than baby detergent as they don't have dyes and perfumes.

-Burp clothes to protect your clothes, pillows, and everything else.

-Baby care items- you will get some things from your place of birth like a suction bulb and thermometer so wait on these. Nail clippers and nail files would probably be good to have around.

-A night light so you don't have to turn on a light for late night feedings.

-A good baby care book like "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears and/or "Caring for YOur Baby And Young Child" by the American Academy of Pediatrics. (Buy before baby comes so you can read up on what to expect the early weeks.)

There is a ton more but that will get you started. There are things to consider like registering for stuff like baby gates and things for solid feeding. You won't need those for a while but it doesn't hurt to register for them. Amazon.com reviews and Consumer Reports' website helped too.

While you are shopping around don't forget to pick up some books on birth. Picking baby stuff and researching birth kept me very busy. Start with "The Birth Book" by Dr. Sears. It was the most valuable birth read I read and totally opened my mind. I loved my birth experience and am glad that I took the time to make it a priority (of course, this was just my experience ).

Sorry for no brand recommendations. This is just a "master" list. Baby products change so often that it would be outdated really soon otherwise. Baby's needs don't change though- something to eat, somewhere to sleep, diapers, etc..
Beth