PDA

View Full Version : Twin Mattress

Robyn
05-31-2005, 01:41 PM
I'm looking for a twin mattress for my 2 yr old's big boy bed. I don't need a boxspring, as it's a platform with a solid (not slatted) surface under the mattress. Any tips? I noticed the Simmons Kids mattresses. Anyone have any experience? Thanks!

bostonsmama
06-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Visit your local mattress or furniture store. I've never seen Simmons Kids mattresses except in children's specialty stores, and they're not always the best quality for the best prices, especially if they're made for bunk beds! Most funiture stores will sell the mattress and box spring seperately. It's only when you get up into the Queen and King sizes that they sell in sets. Avoid the "buy one, get one free" promotions, b/c you don't need the bottom part. Although, growing up, my brothers had bunk beds, and my dad put a full-size box spring under the bottom bunk's mattress (and it fit just fine without sliding off).

Anyways, get the best quality you can afford now. Hopefully, this mattress will last your DC through high school & maybe into college (with a good 15 year warranty). My mom still has the SEALY she bought for my canopy bed when I was 4 (and that's 20 years later), and similarly I bought a nice Simmons Beauty Rest (Do Not Disturb/No flip) mattress for my guest bedroom, hoping it becomes a comfy bed for our children.

The best brands are:
Sterns & Foster
Sealy
Simmons
King Koil
Serta

Since your DC probably doesn't know what he'll prefer as far as softness, a good not-too-firm, not-too-soft, no pillowtop model will serve him best. He can always add a memory foam or down feather bed topper when he gets older if that's what he likes later down the road. HTH! Good luck finding the perfect mattress.

Robyn
06-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks so much for the tips! I saw the Simmons Kids one today, and was not a fan. I tested out a Simmons Beautyrest (which DH and I have happily had on our bed for 10 yrs), and liked it a lot. The model they showed me in the store today was a pillow top model, which I saw that you recommended against. Was that due to suffocation issues or something else? Thanks again for all your help!