PDA

View Full Version : The Boat from PBK

DDowning
05-31-2005, 10:15 PM
Ignoring the ridiculous price, what do people think of the boat bed from PBK? DH has been egging me to let him get it for C's big boy bed and I'm mixed on it. How long would the cuteness factor last?

http://tinyurl.com/adq52

octmom
06-01-2005, 05:54 AM
I think it's adorable, but the price would stop me. Also, it means you are committing to some sort of nautical/ ocean theme decor for a long time. And it's hard to tell in the pics, but is the foot end of the bed a bit pointy? I would worry about DS smacking his head against it if he was getting silly playing in his room. All that said, it is *really* cute. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

bostonsmama
06-01-2005, 11:31 AM
My mom and I were shopping at Tyson's Corner last week and we saw it on display at a b&m PBK. It seems to be pretty well made, solid & sturdy. I didn't like the drawer pulls for the trundle, though. They're dock cleats, so I imagine getting out of bed a kid could get his pajama pant leg caught on it and trip or get hurt just dangling his feet over the side. It's nice and low to the ground (like a Toddler bed should be)....but I wonder if an older kid (Carson in 10 years) would find it irritating. For the current price (plus shipping), it's a tad spendy. But if you make that kind of living, go for it! I think the Hawaiian bedding is super cute with it!

I always thought that if I got a part-time job at Williams Sonoma over the summer that I would so use my 40% off discount to get the boat bed one day. But with my luck, my son or daughter would prefer Bob the Builder or Sponge Bob Square pants (Or Barbie!) for bed linens and it would look absolutely ridiculous.

Just my 2 cents.

DDowning
06-01-2005, 08:52 PM
LOL, thats what Im worried about - that he would outgrow the theme before he outgrew the bed. My mom thought it would be about the age of 6 or 7, etc., which if you think about it, isn't that long of a timespan. Yes, we can afford it, but I just see me trying to unload a boat for a regular bed later on. DH still is being persistent though, ugh...

DDowning
06-01-2005, 08:53 PM
double post

DebbieJ
06-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Terribly cute but terribly impractical. :(

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

tiapam
06-01-2005, 10:03 PM
You could get such a nice regular bed for the same price, and you won't have to worry about looking for a new one in a few years. I would skip it. The end does look pointy.

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

kijip
06-04-2005, 11:00 PM
I'd say that it would last theme-wise till 5-7 years. If you get a really sturdy, high quality twin or even full bed, he'll take it with him to his first apartment! I say use the bedding to do the boat theme and skip to pricey, limited lifespan furniture.

DDowning
06-05-2005, 10:44 AM
DH finally saw the light and agreed that it was very practical to get this bed. Thank you everyone for the help!