PDA

View Full Version : Baby carriers: Bjorn vs. the others

Keegan
06-06-2005, 10:59 AM
we are in the process of registering...regarding front carriers: we saw the Baby Bjorn for $119.99, the Eddie Bauer for $59.99 and the "Snugli" for $29.99. Any thoughts on which one is best??

elliput
06-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Check out the carrier forum for information on all sorts of baby carriers.

It is best to wait until you have baby in arms to try them out. Your baby and you may prefer something entirely different than what you think you need now.

vdrake71
06-06-2005, 12:27 PM
I registered and received the Baby Bjorn. My son was not in it very long because he was a big baby. If I had to do it over again, I would buy a used Baby Bjorn. There are so many used ones and people do not use them for very long. For baby number 2, I have decided to buy a Kanagroo Korner Adjustable Fleece pouch.

Another place to find carriers is the baby wearing swap group on yahoo (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BabywearingSWAP/).

Veronica

SpaceGal
06-06-2005, 09:11 PM
I had the Eddie Bauer but it didn't work for my son. He was a little peanut at birth so his head still flopped around. I exchagned it for the Baby Bjorn and it was a much much much better fit for both him and I. I liked the Eddie Bauer a lot at first but man putting that thing on and it's bizzilion straps made me feel like I was going camping all the time. It was way way way strappy and a bit too cumbersome to drag around. The Bjorn was much easier and more straight forward...it was less cumbersome for me and I like it much better.

By the way you might want to check out Marshalls for the Bjorns they have a few styles for $59.99...city black...navy...and a black/tartan one last I saw. I would totally get another one if I needed it but I don't. I did get mine at TRU for $69.99...its the navy tartan one.

Hope this helps.

duesept05
06-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Well I have yet to use my Bjorn as I'm still pregnant, however I have a lot of friends who have recently had babies and they all love the Bjorn! They say it is comfortable, secure, and easy to use. My girlfriend loaned me hers and my SIL gave me one her DH used - which is good since my DH is quite tall. They both said they used them to death, but they are in excellent condition.

I got a Snugli when I was early in my pregnancy, and didn't know any better. Compared to the Bjorn it seems a bit small and not a stable. However, it may be good for a premie - don't know and I haven't used either.

I would go with what the PP said and find one used - you can probably find a good deal.HTH

quinnsmom
06-07-2005, 12:12 PM
The Bjorn was the first carrier we had and my son liked it for a short while. He just got so big so fast - we couldn't use it past 3 months.

There is a whole world of carriers out there beyond the Bjorn. Look around and see if another carrier interests you.

www.Hotlsings.com - Great pouches - can use for newborn up to toddlers.

Try a wrap - Hug-A-Bub or a Moby.

You will get more use out of a wrap or a pouch. The Bjorn is fine for a few months - but for that much money - you might want to get something more versatile.

HannaAddict
06-07-2005, 04:31 PM
We bought a Baby Bjorn and my son didn't like it at all. Before reading these boards, I had no idea (zero, none, zip) of all the alternatives to the Baby Bjorn out there. No one I knew used a sling or other such device. To second what a pp said, I would think about just getting a used Baby Bjorn (there are a ton new or barely used for cheap on eBay or craigslist) and wait to see what your baby likes in terms of a carrier. The Baby Bjorn was about $100 we didn't need to spend (though a guest at my son's first birthday party borrowed it for her infant and was fine). So, I guess we got some use out of it! :)

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

smilla653
06-08-2005, 10:38 AM
We bought a Baby Bjorn before reaearching slings. We have about 4 different slings as well as a BB. We've never used the BB, love our slings, our favorite being the Hug-a-Bub.

nbrackman
06-12-2005, 10:28 AM
There has been some controversy over whether the Bjorn and carriers like it (Snugglis, etc.) are good for a small baby because of possible spine compression. The baby is essentially hanging by the crotch instead of in a seated or supported position.

Lots of people love all kinds of different carriers, like slings, pouches, wraps, Mei Tais (asian baby carriers). Check out the baby carrier forum here and also a great website called www.thebabywearer.com which has tons of reviews and describes different kinds of carriers.

The Bjorn new is pretty expensive, for the same money you can get a simple pouch (new native or hotslings) and then something else later when your needs change. We have been through lots of carriers and each serves a differnt purpose...it's fun using different things and having them compliment your clothes (or not)...even some with heavier materials for winter so you can wear baby out!

We LOVE the wrap with a newborn (Hug A Bub, Moby Wrap, Ultimate Baby Wrap, etc.) and a pouch also (for in and out of the car -- it's not good to have baby in the carseat for too long); terrific pouches include the New Native (nonadjustable), Hotslings (www.hotslings.com), Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Pouch (fleece or cotton, depending on the season -- www.kangarookorner.com). I loved a ring sling for nursing in the house or on the go -- my favorite was the Maya Wrap (www.mayawrap.com) but there are TONS of different ones. I have an Ergo carrier (front and back carrier) for when baby is a bit older -- for walking 'round town or for hiking and a Mei Tai (Asian Baby Carrier) also for front and back carries.

Most of the websites which carry the carriers made by wahms (work at home moms) can arrange some kind of registry or gift certificate for you.

Good luck! Also, there's a wonderful babywearing yahoogroup where you can ask any question and get a plethora of educated answers by other moms who know so much about it!

Best, Nicole

shoppinggal
07-25-2005, 03:24 AM
I agree that you really have to try them with the baby - I took my son to buybuybaby when he was 3 weeks old and tried him in all the carriers - I like the baby bjorn active b/c it has lumbar support and now at 3 months we're still using it. The great thing about buybuy baby is the 20% off coupons they offer several times a year - they're due to have one out any day now...

bigheada
11-12-2006, 09:15 AM
How do I access the carrier forum?

C99
11-12-2006, 11:46 AM
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=62

orangefur
11-17-2006, 03:08 PM
I have not tried the others, but I can definitely recommend the Bjorn. We got one as a shower gift before my DD was born and my husband carried her in it until she was close to a year old! I stopped when she was about 8 months because it was too heavy for me. She loved it so much that she would beg to ride in it - I think she was 17 months the last time, although that was just around the house. Now we are using it for our second child and he is 6 months old and I'm sure we'll get at least a few more months out of it.

The key is to get it adjusted properly. You need to pull the "X" in the back down low and then you can carry a much heavier baby comfortably. It is also important to make sure that the straps in the front are tightened so the baby is close to you, especially once he/she is front-facing. I am a small person and with these adjustments I have no trouble carrying DS and he is pushing 18 pounds.