PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Dressers

K-Bear
06-10-2005, 10:16 AM
I'd like to go with white furniture for the nursery, but don't want to spend too much money on a dresser since I don't think white will age as well with the child.

What are some good inexpensive dressers to look at? I'm not necessarily looking for "cheap" furniture...just something that is of good value.

I saw a Storkcraft dresser on the Sears website that didn't look too bad, but how is the quality? Has anyone purchased furniture from Sears or Storkcraft?

What would be some other "value" dressers I could look at?

angusmom
06-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Hello! I can't answer your specific questions about brands, but I wanted to throw my two cents in and suggest you try Craig's List if there is a section of the site for your area. Search the furniture and baby&kids sections for secondhand furniture:
http://www.craigslist.org/

This is how I got the dresser for my nursery. For $100 bucks I got a Child Craft six drawer dresser in perfect condition and it's gorgeous. One of the best deals I ever got. I happen to live in the Chicago area so there's a very active craig's list board for furniture so I was lucky in that regard.

elliput
06-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Have you considered unfinished furniture to paint or stain yourself? Usually the quality is quite good at a decent price.

KBecks
06-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Agree with pp to look at a used dresser and then paint it. Consider repainting as your child gets older a fun color.

caroliner
06-15-2005, 01:42 PM
How about Ikea? They have some cute white dressers that are pretty reasonable.

bostonsmama
06-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Have you looked at eBay? Bigger cities have more frequent "pick up only" big-ticket baby furniture items, but you can score a deal if you play your cards right and wait. I saw a Pali dresser/combo changing table (retailing for $1,000 new) listed on eBay in pristine used condition for starting bid $399. Well, it was too much to spend, so I passed it up and no one bid. The next week, it came up starting bid $99, and I won it at $103. I had to drive to NJ to pick it up (approx 6 hrs), but even with tolls and fuel it was less than $160! What a steal! Just keep your eyes open for good brands like Pali, Rumble Tuff, Simmons, and Child Craft. If it's a super-deal, some power sellers will allow an item to be shipped for $80-$150 by crate across country. White furniture is very easy to find, anyhow, even though my Pali dresser is in natural (and matches all the other furniture in the room).

Best of luck finding a bargain!

anamika
06-20-2005, 02:36 PM
pak...
we have the storkcraft dresser in cognac and are very happy with it
it matches our pali crib beautifully. i didn't want to pay more for the dresser than the crib.
hth,

MomtoOLT
06-21-2005, 09:30 AM
>Have you considered unfinished furniture to paint or stain
>yourself? Usually the quality is quite good at a decent
>price.

Just don't let your "Honey, trust me, I know what I'm doing" husband STAIN the insides of the drawers. Because the dresser will be then rendered useless by the overwhelming stench of "stain" that the clothes absorb and you will have to rewash everything before putting it on the child and store all her clothes in laundry baskets and her closet.

Oh, uh, not that MY dh did this and I'm speaking from experience or anything. :rolleyes:

Of course, buying the dresser for $200-something, I found the matching one to the crib for exactly the same price but "someone" needed it 6 months before our daughter was due.