PDA

View Full Version : Crib Dilemma

Anne22
06-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Hi --

I'm trying to decide between the following cribs and would appreciate any thoughts anyone had:

Sorelle Rosa Pine Crib

Legacy Crib with Drawer Model 29011 in Pecan or Natural

Baby's Dream Infinity Crib (the regular drop-side one, not the convertible crib)

FYI, production/shipping delay is not an issue as I'm adopting internationally and my child will not be with me for at least seven months at the very earliest.

Thanks!!

-- Anne

sarnacle
07-21-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm looking for a crib myself, so I don't have any first hand experience yet. But, I can say that from the research I've done, all of the brands that you're looking into have a very good reputation for good quality products. I saw the Sorelle Rosa Pine Crib for a very good price on Baby Age (http://www.babyage.com/home.aspx) if you're looking for something less expensive. If you're looking for an opinion on the aesthetics of the cribs, I like the Baby's Dream Infinity best -- clean lines, simple, yet stylish. I've only seen this model in the no-drop side. Next, I like the Sorelle Rosa Pine, but am wary about buying pine, since it's a fairly soft wood and I want something that'll last me through more than one child. Lastly, I'd opt for the Legacy. This, however, is my personal preference. Good luck shopping and with the adoption!

Sarah

elliput
07-21-2005, 08:56 AM
I have the Sorelle Rosa Pine crib in Cherry. Even though it is pine - it is European pine not North American pine. European pine is considered a hard wood. I did a test of the wood when I received it. In a very inconspicuous place I pressed the edge of my thumb nail into the wood. It did nothing, no mark, no indentation, nothing. If I were to do this on a piece of North American pine there would have been a definite mark in the wood.

I absolutely love this crib and think the quality for the price is fantastic.

My recommendation - if you are absolutely in love with a specific style and the price is within your budget - get it. This is one of those purchases that I think you really want to be special.

fox3long
07-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Hi, I am currently researching cribs and planning to buy one in the next couple days. If you are interested in the Sorelle Rosa Pine, you may want to consider the Sorelle Rita Bella. I called the manufacturer to ask what the difference was between the two cribs since they looked like the same style crib in the pictures. The manufacturer told me Rita is made of birch wood and Rosa is made of pine. The other difference is the types of finishes you can choose. If you decide to go with Rosa Pine, the best internet carrier is jdee.net ($250 with free s/h). They had the best customer service and knowledge of their cribs. If you go with Rita Bella, albeebaby.com is selling it for $225.00 with free shipping/handling. I asked the Sorelle manufacturer why the birch crib is cheaper than the pine crib and they said it was because different factories make each. Jdee.net said both came from Latvia. Babyage.com has reasonable prices but didn't know a lot about the Sorelle cribs... they told me the Rita was made of Beech wood. I also didn't like babywhiz.com because it said Rosa Pine was made of birch.

fox3long
07-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Thank you for making that clear! I was afraid to go with the Sorelle pine crib for that very reason... that pine is typically a soft wood. I am still deciding between Sorelle cribs but your response may be a major deciding factor in what I choose.

Have you had any issues with broken parts or having to deal with the manufacturer?

melbb
07-22-2005, 02:15 PM
I don't know/remember anything about the Legacy and Baby Dream cribs, but Sorelle cribs are an incredible value and have nice features for the price (hidden hardware, convertible). They are in the "better" category in baby bargains. I am planning on getting a Sorelle myself. The websites recommended above are good places to order from, too.

elliput
07-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Nope, everything has been fine with my crib. All the parts were there and nothing broken.

The cribs are double boxed which helps to eliminate possible shipping damage. The outer box my crib was shipped in had a nice tear in it, but no damage to the inner box or crib.

Anne22
07-23-2005, 05:55 AM
Thank you all for the helpful posts!

After lurking at my local baby furniture store (believe it or not, their prices are competitive with those of the on-line stores mentioned in everyone's posts), I find myself falling in love with the Legacy Crib with drawer (model 29011). Go figure! The drop side on it seems to be really quiet and it seems to be a sturdy crib. It has hidden hardware and is made solid hardwood.

The crib is about $100 more than the Rita Bella crib, which is a bit more than I'd wanted to spend, but still within my budget.

I'm planning on buying it locally -- they'll deliver it AND set it up for me, which is a plus for me.

Anyway, thanks again! Hopefully the wait for the crib will not be too long!

elliput
07-23-2005, 06:54 AM
It sounds like you are making a very good decision on your crib. As it happens, I considered the same Legacy crib model myself. Being able to have someone deliver and set it up is a huge bonus!

Anne22
07-23-2005, 04:18 PM
For me, the delivery and set-up was a must! I'm single and am definitely hardware impaired!

I bit the bullet and bought the crib and the combo dresser unit today. The dresser is from the Legacy "Bergen County Collection." Both the crib and dresser are in "Pecan." Really love 'em. Luckily, they were both in stock so I'm having them delivered on August 5th!!

Now, all I have to do is wait for the baby . . .

-- Anne
Waiting for baby boy from Guatemala

mommysammi
07-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Hi there,

I'm looking into the Cherry one too. Does this finish come off easily? Does this crib have teething guards? If not, will teething guards fit on this crib?

Also, it's supposed to convert into a daybed, right? Does that require an additional conversion kit?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm so torn as to which crib to get - so many selections...

Thank you.

mommysammi
07-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Forgot to ask you one more question... hope you don't mind. Do the standard crib size mattresses fit this crib? Which mattress did you get?

Thanks.

elliput
07-28-2005, 09:15 PM
I have had my crib for about 7 months now and have not had any problems with the finish. It does not have teething guards and I don't know if teething guards will fit on it since that has not been an issue for us yet.

The daybed conversion just requires removal of the drop-side (which seems fairly straight forward in the directions) and does not require a conversion kit.

I have the Colgate Visco-Classica mattress and it fits very well.

HTH!

jones123
08-01-2005, 10:06 PM
I decided to go with the Sorelle Rita Bella and ordered it from albeebaby.com. The crib arrived quickly, however it was severely damaged/defective. Both headboards have major splinters, the stationery side rail was cracked/broken down the middle, and both siderails seemed improperly assembled (large gap be top railing and spindles). I contacted albeebaby.com right away and they told me that the manufacturers would replace any damaged/defective part. However when I finally got to talk to someone at Sorelle (C&T International), they told me that since the damage was so extensive and would mean practically shipping a new crib, that I should go back to the retailer and ask for a replacement. I've done this and am still awaiting a reply (4 days later). I'm anxious about what my options are. We will need the crib soon. I want a replacement or refund. Has anyone else experienced this with albeebaby.com or Sorelle (C&T International). I paid $225 for an unusable crib and no one can give me a straight answer.